What are you reading?

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Rereading Shadowland by Peter Straub. My copy was an old second hand paperback when I got it. I fear for its spine. I've already got one paperback held together by a hair elastic; I suspect this one isn't far off.

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
THE FATAL REVENANT by Stephen Donaldson. Actually, I just finished it. That means that I've spent about a month reading all EIGHT of the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever. (Six are re-reads.) The ninth will be published next month. Then I have to wait about three years for him to wrap everything up, which will suck. Write faster!

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
The Pickwick Papers. Moves very briskly.

Dovecam.W

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vostrostone.com
Just finished "The WindUp Girl" by Paolo Bacigalupi (if that is in fact his real name). Its a good "yarn" but not much sci-fi.

Also "Hylozoic" by Rudy Rucker - I love Rucker's stuff and this is a good example.

Now reading "Cowl" by Neal Asher - welcome change from the Polity and pretty entertaining so far.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Finished Body Double, started and finished Vanished. Now considering what to read next. I may end up going on to the next book, it just feels so weird reading this many nonfantasy books in a row. XD Plus there's new releases for other series I am actively following. Decisions, decisions....

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
"The Counterlife" by Philip Roth

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The Ravine by Paul Quarrington.

Excellent read. Excellent re-read.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I finally gave up reading my biography of Dr. Benjamin Rush. Combination of the author relying too heavily on secondary (or possibly even tertiary) sources and Dr. Rush just not being a very interesting person.

I've now started reading Kurt Vonnegut's Watch the Birdie, a collection of previously unpublished short stories. I'm reminded of just how much I'm influenced by him. I want to write. I like writing.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
just finished "the boxcar children". i read it to my 5 year old granddaughter. she loved it. i loved it when i was a kid but this time not so much. kids working 8 hour days as orchard pickers in the hot sun? with no sunscreen, no bug spray ? kids swimming with no flotation devices? petting a stray dog, making fires and playing with knives? i kept muttering to myself --where are the authorities? --s6

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and, as I'm not tempted to start the second one immediately, I began Sarah's Key instead. From what's happened so far, I expect I'll cry a lot. Probably on the bus, in front of dozens of other people.

TWErvin2

Raises Turtles in his Basement
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ervin-author.com
THE FATAL REVENANT by Stephen Donaldson. Actually, I just finished it. That means that I've spent about a month reading all EIGHT of the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever. (Six are re-reads.) The ninth will be published next month. Then I have to wait about three years for him to wrap everything up, which will suck. Write faster!

Donaldson does write slowly. That's why I am waiting for all of the Last Chronicles to be published before I start. That doesn't mean I don't have them on my shelf waiting...

Right now, I just picked up and started leafing through Zelazny's Creatures of Light and Darkness. (Probably will reread it).

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
just finished "the boxcar children". i read it to my 5 year old granddaughter. she loved it. i loved it when i was a kid but this time not so much. kids working 8 hour days as orchard pickers in the hot sun? with no sunscreen, no bug spray ? kids swimming with no flotation devices? petting a stray dog, making fires and playing with knives? i kept muttering to myself --where are the authorities? --s6

The Boxcar Children was the first series of books I ever read. Oh, the memories of getting excited about reading for the first time! I devoured those books, moved on the The Three Investigators and was into Agatha Christie within a year or two. Next came Catcher in the Rye (read when I was 12) and it's been on since then.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Gaah! I wanna read something! But I don't have time because I want to finish writing a novel in August. It feels like I have read too few novels during my life and that I'm far behind other writers.

I have also read that one. I didn't like it so much because it felt abstract and implausible, but it feels like I have to finish the series when I have come so far. I don't think Donaldson writes extremely slow. At least he finish his books somewhat according to his schedule. GRR Martin is worse.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Temeraire series, just finished Throne of Jade.
Also working on The Southern Vampire Mystery Novels

Waiting on next books in:
D.D. Barrant's Bloodhound Files
Eric Nylund's Immortals Series
Seanan Mcguire's October Daye
Dresden Files
Mercy Thompson

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Once a year I dedicate some time to reading either a great classic, or a less-known novel from a "classic" writer. Right now, it's the latter case; I'm half through Mardi, by Herman Melville.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Path of Fate by Diana Pharaoh Francis, which I found buried in the back of my bookshelves. I liked it enough to order the sequel. Very sympathetic MC.

Now I'm re-reading my Fantasy Gone Wrong anthology. Reminds me how much I wish there was more humorous fantasy out there.

I don't know what I'll read next. I've got a big TBR pile.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Beloved by Tony Morrison. It's the first book by her that I like. I'll read it to the end.

I also tried Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind. But I only came a few pages before giving up. The writing style was too childish with short sentences and repetition.

I feel like I have entered a reading period when I will read a lot of books. I borrowed 7 in the library and there are several more that I will pillage when they are ripe.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Decided to keep going with the Rizzoli and Isles series since I'm already 5 books in. 7, now. Started and finished The Mephisto Club yesterday and it's my favorite of the series so far. It's also closest to being supernatural, so not all that surprising. XD And since I couldn't sleep, I went ahead and started The Keepsake. Not really sure what to make of it so far, as I'm not all that far into it.