What are you reading?

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
I read The Secret Scripture not too long ago. The story was good and I'll admit that he is a good writer. But didn't you find a little "purple prosey" at times?

Certainly. I think he sometimes goes overboard with the metaphors. The Eneas McNulty story had even more of that than The Secret Scripture probably due to the symbolism represented by Eneas and Jonno. I read "Annie Dunne" last year. Strange story but likable, same kind of writing.

*RomanceWriter*

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Giving Gena Showalter a try. Starting Darkest Night. It has mixed reviews, so I'll see for myself.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Angel: After the Fall and, for the umpteenth time, The NeverEnding Story.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
I'm catching up on a bunch of One-Story shorts. I liked Pigs enough to email kudos to the author. The newest one is Frost Mountain Picnic Massacre.

childeroland

Registered
Reaction score
Me too, and I wish they'd put out the comics faster.

Reading Lovecraft's The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
I found a paperback edition of One Hundred Years of Solitude at a garage sale. Pretty interesting.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed "Einstien's Bridge" so much I got the author's (ETA: John Cramer) first novel "Twistor" and am enjoying it, however today I was in the supermarket and saw a brand new memoir:

Dean Koontz A BIG LITTLE LIFE: A Memoir of a Joyful Dog

and bought it, a full price $24.95 brand new (kinda smallish) hardback and all. I paged through it, and somehow I find this mundane real life stuff more compelling and fascinating than any "odd" novel a big-name writer could write.

And yeah, his latest novel "Relentless" was also sitting there in the "top 10 sellers" or whatever display. Maybe I'll get that one when I see it for $2.99 or less in a thrift store, and then some months or years later attempt to read it.

I'm a sucker for dogs and memoirs. Though I still long to be had by a cat again.

Last edited:

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Time Traveler's Wife the other day. I'm back in school, so I'm about to start reading stuff for that.

childeroland

Registered
Reaction score
Jules Verne's From the Earth to the Moon

Last edited: