What are you reading?

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Just read Stephen Hawking's The Universe in a Nutshell; now reading C.S. Lewis's The Magician's Nephew, his Narnia origin story.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
The Summoning by Kelly Armstrong

I really enjoy her books. Do/did you like this one? Last one I read was No Humans Involved, and just got Personal Demon, but haven't read it yet.

Right now I am reading Laurell k Hamilton's Skin Trade. I have been disappointed by her last few novels (I used to buy them as soon as they came out, not anymore). But this one is pretty good. Best one I have read in awhile. I am more than halfway through and no sex scenes! LOL The last several books have been nothing but sex, no storyline, so this one is a refreshing change. Plus, it features Edward, one of my fave characters. Hope Hamilton stays on this track for future books, and maybe I can fall in love with this series again.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started reading Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey. It's the first book in the Dragonriders of Pern series.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't like NCFOM now, wait till you get to the end.;)

Finally got my hands on the new Pynchon, reading that.

Last edited:

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoy her books. Do/did you like this one? Last one I read was No Humans Involved, and just got Personal Demon, but haven't read it yet.

I've only just started it, but so far so good. I haven't read her adult series yet, but it's on my shelf.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I started reading a bit of Zombie Capitalism by Chris Harman, alongside Mieville's King Rat.

Zombie Capitalism is a Marxist economics book that is a bit more accessible to people and explains the current crisis and how crisis is inbuilt into capitalism. It also happens to have a really cool cover and meets me obsession linking horror and politics.

sommemi

Uses loquacious in sentences
Registered
Reaction score
I always have too many 'half-started' books on my shelf/nightstand. Right now...

1) Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon
2) Harem: The World Behind the Veil by Alev Lytle Croutier
3) Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science by Dr. Jeff Meldrum
4) The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
5) The Four Insights: Wisdom, Power, and Grace of the Earthkeepers by Alberto Villoldo Ph.D.

2 through 5 I usually pick up and read for a few days then put back down again when I've had my fill of 'information'.

ShannonC

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading "My Mistress's Sparrow Is Dead" A compilation of stories by various authors edited by Jeffery Eugenides. So far it's excellent.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
High heels and a head torch, the essential guide for girls who backpack by Chelsea Duke. A present from a team of staff, at the job that I have just retired from. So far so good, it is making me laugh. :)

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just starting Dragonquest by Anne McCaffrey. It's the second book in the Dragonriders of Pern series.

*RomanceWriter*

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to read some more Samhain books since I've submitted to them. Right now I'm trying out Pack Challenge.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished 'The Girl Who Played with Fire' by Stieg Larsson.
I didn't read the first one in the trilogy - the Dragon Tattoo from the other thread - but I can't say it mattered.
The MC is a tattooed female hacker and is really interesting.
Because she's a hacker, computers play an important role in the story. There are a couple of slow moments - especially when the sex lives of the characters are introduced or when the author sums up a whole Ikea catalogue - but otherwise I found it intriguing and fascinating, a lot better than the previous book I read, Le Carre's A Most Wanted Man.
One bizarre detail - at one point the MC is listening to a David Bowie song she can only remember one line of - 'putting out fire with gasoline' - and that's exactly what happened to me when I heard that song just last week in Inglourious Basterds. Of course, the song is Cat People.

I will not go back and read the first book in the trilogy, but I'm certainly interested in the next one, depending on what the subject matter is. I hope it doesn't repeat too much of what I already now from book nr.2.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Secret Scripture and The Whereabouts of Eneas McNulty by Sebastian Barry. Part of the storyline overlaps between the two books but I don't see The Secret Scripture as a sequel to Eneas McNulty. I read them out of chronoligical order but that wasn't confusing. His writing is really good.

AnonymousWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Secret Scripture and The Whereabouts of Eneas McNulty by Sebastian Barry. Part of the storyline overlaps between the two books but I don't see The Secret Scripture as a sequel to Eneas McNulty. I read them out of chronoligical order but that wasn't confusing. His writing is really good.

I read The Secret Scripture not too long ago. The story was good and I'll admit that he is a good writer. But didn't you find a little "purple prosey" at times?