What are you reading?

Reaction score
Strangely enough, given that I'm so anti-the-deification-of-Diana, I'm reading The Diana Chronicles by Tina Brown. I'm interested to see what the human being was like, rather than the media image. I'm on p.124 and so far it seems reasonably impartial, but then this is at the courtship stage, so I wonder how the book will progress when it reaches the more media-savvy Diana.

Naturally, I have more than one book on the go and a selection of others from my reading pile are The Ladykiller by Martina Cole (read before but I picked up a copy for a few quid; didn't notice how awful it was before reading it as a writer. The headjumping and telling-not-showing is an utter disgrace. I don't know how this shit gets published but it makes me feel better about my own writing), How Did I Get Here? by Barbara De Angelis and Barefoot Soldier by Johnson Beharry, V.C.

I really need to start reading more novels, in particular YA.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Now reading "Running With Scissors" so I'll be able to compare it with John Robison's "Look Me In The Eye" when it comes out. Augusten's description of his older brother "Alex" with Asperger's is just like everything else I've read by/about John Robison. The older brother appears to be the most normal and well-adjusted character in the book so far.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. As the Pulitzer Prize jury said, it's "unreadable, turgid, overwritten, and obscene". It's also a masterpiece.

Tymolee

Registered
Reaction score
Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman and Resistance, Rebellion and Death by Albert Camus.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
El General En Su Laberinto by Gabriel García Marquez. A fictional reccount about the last days of Simón Bolívar. Founder of my country and his's

grommet

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently flying through The Book Thief which someone on here recently recommended, though I can't for the life of me remember who. So whoever you are nameless person, a thousand thankyous for making a long, hot bus ride very enjoyable.

grommet

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading Amazonia by James Rollins, Word Wars by AW's own Chris Stevenson and The Skull Mantra by Eliot Pattison.

lostintheweb

Registered
Reaction score
Mortensen & Oliver-Relin: Three Cups of Tea, Hamill: Forever, and Bunyan Pilgrim's Progress

Julie Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescriptdepartment.com
When A Crocodile Eats the Sun, a Memoir of Africa by Peter Godwin - I couldn't put it down. Right before that I read The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion. Also couldn't put it down.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I am slogging through Dune. I tried to get into it once before, years ago, and dropped it after a few chapters. My husband does not find this acceptable, and we have a kind of continuous "if you read this, I'll read that" thing that helps us both expand our horizons. So he's making me read this in return for taking on some stuff I want him to read. ANYWAYS he finds the whole idea of me, a science fiction fan, not having read Dune, to be unacceptable.

So I'm reading it. Kinda feel like I'm back in school. :)

ANYWAY it's not that bad. It's just not my cup of tea. Although now that I've been on AW for a few months, my brain spent the entire first few chapters screaming "INFO-DUMP!"

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
Godslayer by Jacqueline Carey. I love it!

Adored Book 1 in the series, Banewreaker, as well. I wasn't a Carey fan, and didn't care for her Kushiel trilogy which I found a bit simplistic. But now I've changed my mind about her. :)

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
A Bull in a Glass House by Jose Astorga.

Apparently something I sent him in email 4 years ago encouraged him to write this book. I received an autographed hardcover in the mail a couple of days ago, and remember that he had to send it to Thailand. I'm impressed by the book.

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
THE ROAD by Cormac McCarthy. His narrative voice took a few pages to get used to, but I'm only on page 15 and am definitely hooked.

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
Phra Farang by Peter Pannapidipo.

Phra is the Thai word for a Buddhist monk, and Farang is the Thai word for a foreigner. Peter Pannapidipo is a British guy who became a Buddhist monk in Thailand. Not only that, but he's a damn fine writer, so it's a good book even if, like me, you'll never be a monk and/or a Buddhist.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
The Lies of Locke Lamora was fantastic, for the record. I just finished it and even went as far as to buy the (hardcover) sequel. I'm eagerly awaiting it in the mail, and for someone as miserly as me, that says a lot. ;)

I'm partway into The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiessen but I've found it's one of those books I have to be in a certain mood to properly enjoy. Perhaps I'll go back to Spirit Gate by Kate Elliot, which I intended to read about a month ago, heh.

~DragonHeart~

Reaction score
Trying to get this finished so I can send it out to Perks. :D :

41GklCTxJeL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU02_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire for fun
The Lesson of the Master by Henry James for class
L'Homme, cet etrange animal... by Jean-Francois Dortier for class too. Non-fiction but pretty enjoyable.

ergraham

Registered
Reaction score
Trying to read The Historian...too long.
Trying to read A Long Way Gone...too serious.
Trying to re-read Susan Cooper....too distracted by movie trailers.

Just finished The Kite Runner....way too depressing.

I need something funny!

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading "Confessions of a Shopaholic," by Sophie Kinsella. I felt like reading something light, and the book is quite humorous as well as touching, once you get over the fact it's written in first person, present tense.