What are you reading?

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished the excellent OSAMA by Lavie Tidhar. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was surprisingly good. Best book I've read so far this year.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Keith Wheeler, Peaceable Lane (1960). It's been on my list to read for about 50 years. Finally got around to it. As I finally misplaced my copy (bought when it went on my list) I had to buy a used copy via AmazonMarketplace (one penny plus shipping).

--Ken

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Passionate Minds: Emilie du Chatelet, Voltaire, and the Great Love Affair of the Enlightenment, by David Bodanis.

Wow, a woman scientist! Exciting to read about her ... and I'm not even done with the Preface!

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Almost finished with This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper. Hysterically funny, easy to read. I'd definitely recommend it.

The books on my TBR shelf are piling up, but I think I'll finally get around to The Hunger Games next.

HarvesterOfSorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Tough Shit: Life Advice From A Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good by Kevin Smith.

Now I am reading It by Stephen King. I have always wanted to read this book and so far, it is easily the best thing the King has written (even though I have only read a handful of his books). Amazing, amazing book.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Just finished Tough Shit: Life Advice From A Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good by Kevin Smith.

Now I am reading It by Stephen King. I have always wanted to read this book and so far, it is easily the best thing the King has written (even though I have only read a handful of his books). Amazing, amazing book.

I have this theory (admittedly I think I am in a minority of one with it) that Stephen King isn't really a horror writer.

Oh sure he writes a lot of stuff with horror in it. He's got a very dark imagination. I wouldn't want my elderly Mum picking up some of his work.

But ... he seems to enjoy himself more and to shine more brightly in the non-horror parts of his books. The characters and their interactions with each other. Family. Some people write horror to rip all that up. Stephen King writes horror to bring us back to normality. He shows us a group of interesting people who we care for. Then he does something nasty to them, only so that they can re-emerge after the nastiness and be wholesome again.

I really enjoyed The Stand. Probably more so than It.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
just finished "Boomerang" by Barry Hannah and "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins

now, just started "Sula" by Toni Morrison

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Hunger Games today. I gotta say, it didn't sound like the type of thing I'd be into, but after much pushing by my friend, I really enjoyed it. Some parts were predictable, but it was very well done overall, a fun read.

Next up, er, I have a lot of choices as a result of some over-shopping at the bookstore. Decisions,decisions...

Marumae

Queen of Quixotica
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Oh god SO MANY BOOKS I want to read now (and am). 1Q84 By Haruki Murakami, The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, The Wars of the Roses by Alison Weir and a book on playing poker.

Last edited: