What are you reading?

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
The Happiness Myth by Jennifer Hecht.

Halfway through, it's great, I recommend it. Lots to think about.

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
TIFFANY GIRL by Deeanne Gist. I am a sucker for historical. She gives great details of what it is like to make those awesome lamps.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. I'm trying to read more YA to see what all the fuss is about. Unfortunately I have not been very impressed. Granted, I've been sticking to YA in the fantasy and SF genres, but even the best of these is way poorer than your average SF or fantasy book meant for an adult reader. I'm not talking grammar, because that's a given, but characterization, believability, worldbuilding, plot logic, plot construction, word choice... pretty much EVERYTHING. For this one particular book, the concept is a killer one, and the writing is not bad, if overdone in places with some cliched phrasing. But save for pacing, everything else is just... bad.

Nevertheless, it has something, because I want to see how it ends. But the actual reading is half titillation, half tedium.

possiblerobot

Your friendly neighborhood robot
Registered
Reaction score
Lord of the Flies, by William Golding. I found an edition that has a foreword by Lois Lowry and an introduction by Stephen King, which is nice.

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
From the audiobook department, I just finished Wake Up Happy by Michael Strahan and am waiting for This is How by Augusten Burroughs.

(Strahan is better than expected. I read the Augusten Burroughs as soon as it was published, and am looking forward to hearing him read it during my next long road trip.)

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
The Florida Burn (The NBC-TV Series Miami Vice Series) - Stephen Grave

It's the same genre as my second WIP and I had a heck of a time finding a copy.

brasiliareview

author of Sweet Bread
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brasiliareview.org
I'm currently reading these 3 at the same time.

Trouble in Paradise: From the End of History to the End of Capitalism - Slavoj Zizek

Then when my brain feels full, within one chapter, I switch to

The Good Soldier Švejk - Jaroslav Hašek

which is a satire on the first world war, and when I get tired anywhere after 50 pages I switch to

A Journal of the Plague Year - Daniel Defoe

because I'm trying to add more Defoe, whom I adore, but without a driving plot this book is losing me and I may not finish it.

HarvesterOfSorrow

Registered
Reaction score
American Gods, by Neil Gaiman. I've never read Neil Gaiman before and this book is absolutely kicking my ass. I'm only sixty-one pages in, but this book has me by the throat.

larocca

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
Mother Night, again. It might be my favorite Kurt Vonnegut novel, although choosing just one is unfair to too many others.

larocca

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
- - - Updated - - -

American Gods, by Neil Gaiman. I've never read Neil Gaiman before and this book is absolutely kicking my ass. I'm only sixty-one pages in, but this book has me by the throat.

I had the same reaction. It's one of the few books I've read more than once. I'm glad I read it after I wrote my own The Last Titan or else it might've shut me down.

Spooky

Even the sphinx has eyes O_O
Registered
Reaction score
Recently picked up Underworld by De Lillo and Oliver Twist by Dickens, actively engaged in the first, the second is going to enter the rather cluttered holding pattern of my 'intend to read at some point over the next decade' pile, I kinda just shove my arm in it and grab things when I finish whatever twenty or thirty are in the 'active' bowl of my reading sphere.

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin

reread it recently after about a decade and basically ranted to anyone who could listen about how brilliant it was. some of it on the forums.

Last edited: