What are you reading?

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Neil Gaiman's, The Graveyard Book. It was a terrific fun read! :)

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading (listening to the audio book edition): Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Meth Addiction.

On the TBR list:

Carpe Diem: Put A Little Latin In Your Life

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Just picked up HP and the Goblet of Fire....and good lord I didn't realize how big this book would be! 734 pages long (about twice what the first three are). And I have several other books I am trying to read.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
I finished The Host last night. Now I'm starting The Pyramid of Doom by Andy McDermott. His fifth novel.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Just finished Philip Roth's novella, The Breast (not his best work). Just started The Appointment by Herta Muller.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Peter Carey's Booker-shortlisted "Parrot and Olivier in America" last night - and honestly it was the most delightful reading I've done in a long, long time! Highly, highly, stratospherically recommended. Really good fun and gorgeous, gorgeous words :)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by David Eggers.

Kitty

weeeeeeeee *thud*
Registered
Reaction score
The Colour Mixing Bible

I forget who wrote it. It's all the way over there and I'm too lazy to get off my butt n find out

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
Nine Layers of Sky by Liz Williams

I'm only about 20-30 pages in but I love it already!

DoomBunny

Meatbag
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Kraken by China Mieville (disappointing) and Transition by Iain Banks (squee!). Currently rereading House of Leaves and System of the World.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. I stopped Vanity Fair after the introductions and the first chapter because I want to read Growing Up Laughing: My Story and the Story of Funny by Marlo Thomas more.

S.J.

Addict? I can quit whenever I want!
Registered
Reaction score
I, Claudius - Robert Graves.

I just finished A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian, which was quite funny.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic and Baby, on my Kindle. (For all I can remember I read it in hardback a year ago . . . c'est la vie.) Fluff and chic lit at that. And (also on my Kindle), Andrew Bacevich, Washington Rules. (And several others here and there, also neatly tucked into my Kindle.)

Just finished Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy, The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God? With 63 pages of endnotes plus 8 pages of bibliography, I think they found their answer.

--Ken

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just started John Waters' Role Models on my nook. Say what you will about his movies (personally, I love 'em!), but he's a damned good essayist. Not too many out there these days.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I stopped reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius to read Paul Quarrington's The Ravine, during which I cried knowing I'd never meet this wonderful writer (had always wanted to). Now it's back to Eggers.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Just finished Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy, The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God? With 63 pages of endnotes :Jaw:

plus 8 pages of bibliography, :eek:

I think they found their answer.

--Ken

Just curious: How many pages of actual text?

I'm a John Dominic Crossan gal myself. Love to argue with some of his conclusions. I'm working my way through The First Paul now.

Phyllo

Still sitting
Registered
Reaction score
Thigh deep in Snow, by Orhan Pahmuk, and it seems a slog. Wish he'd shovel aside some of the contrivances. Wonder if something got lost in the translation.

Before that, finished the brilliant Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, and Mr. Pip by Lloyd Jones.

Alan_Often

Swashbuckler
Registered
Reaction score
Just finishing Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs, then on to Captain Blood by Sabatini. I'm on an old timey adventure novel kick!

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Dexter TV series on Showtime so I checked out the books and love them as well. I just finished his latest...Dexter Is Delicious.

I also recently discovered Christopher Moore. I read his It's A Dirty Job book recently. (I really enjoy that type of humor in a book...morbid, with a bit of snark and silly thrown in for good measure)

I like dark humor and these books have been perfect reads