Krampus collecting children

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 328 of 328 FirstFirst ... 78228253278303318322323324325326327328
Results 8,176 to 8,196 of 8196

Thread: What are you reading?

practical experience, FTW DanielSTJ's Avatar
    The Blind Assassin- Margaret Atwood

*UPDATED*

The Swiss Family Robinson- J.D. Wyss
    Last edited by DanielSTJ; 11-23-2017 at 10:11 PM.
    Vivere militare est.

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred Chris P's Avatar
    Nearing the end of White Oleander. I've wanted to read this since it came out, and it's been worth the wait. However, I'm also looking forward to finishing it so I can get to the next book on my list.
    Join any time! Take the 2017 AW Reading Challenge. Pick 12 books from a list of topics and read/discuss with us throughout the year.

Their Eyes Were Watching God- Zora Neale Hurston

It is AWFUL. I don't even...

*UPDATED*

Autobiography- Benvenuto Cellini
    Last edited by DanielSTJ; 11-26-2017 at 07:14 PM.
    Vivere militare est.

Just like someone without mental illness, only moreso - Mark Vonnegut.

Mark has borrowed a lot of his style from his father, and fills in a lot of details I didn't know. As much as I like learning about Kurt (that's why I was interested in the book), I look forward to hearing Mark's own story about his struggles with mental illness.
    Join any time! Take the 2017 AW Reading Challenge. Pick 12 books from a list of topics and read/discuss with us throughout the year.

True At First Light- Ernest Hemingway.

*Updated*

Sanctuary- William Faulkner

*Updated*

American Pastoral- Phillip Roth

It REALLY isn't great. I don't know how this won the Pulitzer.
    Last edited by DanielSTJ; 12-01-2017 at 07:41 AM.
    Vivere militare est.

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist Brightdreamer's Avatar
    A December update to kill some time:

Recently Read:
    Monstress Volume 1: Awakening (Majorie Liu, YA fantasy/graphic novel, Nook via Hoopla): In an alternate Asia where the world is split between humans and "arcanics", the arcanic teen girl Maika Halfwolf struggles to figure out who she really is - and what the hungry, alien thing inside her wants. She doesn't remember how it came to be there, but it has a way of killing to satisfy its strange hungers. Her quest for answers takes her into the human city of Zenoba and the stronghold of the Cumaea, powerful matriarchs who derive their power from rendered arcanic bones in the form of miraculous "lilium"... where her search draws the attention of enemies she can ill afford, and may restart an interspecies war.

On the one hand, this art deco/anime-flavored story has undeniable imagination, set in a complex and layered world. On the other hand, it's almost too complex; sometimes it's hard to figure out who is where and doing what for which reasons. Most of the characters tend to be unlikable for various reasons; it took most of the volume for me to begin to warm up to broody, foul-mouthed Maika. I'm intrigued enough by the premise and late developments that I might read the second volume (also free via Hoopla), though it's not quite my cup of cocoa.

On Writing (Stephen King, memoir/writing, paperback): Prolific author King discusses the craft of writing, with notes on what it has meant to him through his life, as well as how it helped him come back after a nearly fatal accident.

An intriguing look at the development of a best-selling writer with a singular career. I found the memoir parts a little more interesting than the writing parts; it's not that the latter bits were bad, but writing advice can be found elsewhere, while the autobiographical snippets and personal connection were unique to this book. His recounting of the 1999 crash serves as a capstone to the book, as his ongoing recovery brings him back to the keyboard and the craft that's as much a part of him as breathing, tying together the theme.

Currently Reading:
    Walk the Earth a Stranger (The Gold Seer trilogy Book 1, Rae Carlson, YA fantasy/historical fiction, Kindle): Teen girl Leah's ability to sense gold has helped her family scrape a living from the hills of Georgia... but when she comes home to find her parents murdered and their stash stolen, she must strike out on her own. The newly-opened gold fields of California are the logical place to go - plus, it's a continent away from her scheming uncle, who knows about her special gift. But the gold rush is calling everyone, friends and enemies, and even if she had the whole world to run in, it might not be far enough.

A decently paced tale with a strong, if fallible, heroine. If it's not outstandingly great, it's solidly good so far, not shying away from some of the less pleasant aspects of frontier life.

Mort(e) (The War With No Name series Book 1, Robert Repino, sci-fi, paperback): Once, Sebastian was a simple housecat. Then the Change came, wrought by the ant colonies that have risen up to challenge humanity's dominance. Animals begin walking on two legs and speaking, gaining human-level intelligence - and now humans are the hunted. And thus Sebastian finds himself a warrior in the battle to exterminate humanity... but one memory from his pre-awakened life nags at him, the friendship he shared with the neighbor dog Sheba.

Only a chapter in, but so far it's a decent tale that looks to be a good, if dark, ride. Holiday stuff keeps interfering with my reading time, though...
    Last edited by Brightdreamer; 12-02-2017 at 04:53 AM.
    - Brightdreamer
    Brightdreamer's Book Reviews

"Inspiration will strike you, and leave you for dead. The police will do nothing."
    - from The Daily Humorscope

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Dallas's Avatar
    The Night Circus- Erin Morgenstern. Wonderful writing, but the story does jump around a bit.

Vineland- Thomas Pynchon.

Not too good at all.
    Vivere militare est.

Bring me a knitting needle. Atalanta's Avatar
    The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins. Just finished it. Too much print given to scientific in-fighting, but also provides some astonishing insights I've never heard before, like... the evolution of mud particles. Who would have thought??

When Elephants Weep by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson. This one's been on my reading-list since it was published years and years ago. Eminently readable. I'm not sure I would have gotten as much out of it back then as I am now.

I also still have Daphne du Maurier's My Cousin Rachel until the end of the month. Woohoo! Like most of her stuff I'll probably end up reading it in one night.

Work in Progress:
    Five Losers in a Dungeon - prepping, prepping, prepping

Quote Originally Posted by DanielSTJ View Post
    Their Eyes Were Watching God- Zora Neale Hurston

It is AWFUL. I don't even...

*UPDATED*

Autobiography- Benvenuto Cellini
    I read it years ago, but can't remember anything about it.

"Strange Destinies" by Guillermo Rubio Arias-Paz, translated from the Spanish and out now on Amazon and the Endless Bookcase.

Goodreads

Quote Originally Posted by oneblindmouse View Post
    I read it years ago, but can't remember anything about it.
    It's been on my list for years and now you people are making me want to read it right now. Two of you makes it a conspiracy. I'm suspicious.

Work in Progress:

Quote Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
    It's been on my list for years and now you people are making me want to read it right now. Two of you makes it a conspiracy. I'm suspicious.

I didn't like it at all- but hey, that's just me.

*Updated*

Songs of Innocence and Experience- William Blake
    Last edited by DanielSTJ; 12-10-2017 at 08:10 AM.
    Vivere militare est.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
    The Night Circus- Erin Morgenstern. Wonderful writing, but the story does jump around a bit.
    I thought she was a master of scene descriptions and world building, but the story, jumping or not, just didn't interest me.

Speaking of jumping around, I've read about 75% of Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Goon Squad within the past day. It's catchy and addictive, but don't expect to be able to say what the book's about; it seems to change every few chapters.

A Passage to India- E.M Forster
    Vivere militare est.

Breathing lessons - Anne Tyler

I was really impressed by Celestial Navigation, so I have high hopes for this one.
    Last edited by Chris P; 12-11-2017 at 07:11 PM.

practical experience, FTW SciSarahTops's Avatar
    Reading about writing... less of the actual writing
    Just finished the gameshouse trilogy by Claire North. I'm not sure there is an author I love more (at least not in this precise moment).

Currently reading
    'Pirate Women - the princesses, prostitutes and privateers who ruled the seven seas' by, Laura Sook Duncombe
    'Anathem' - Neal Stephenson
    'Happy' by Derren Brown
    and finally 'Siege and Storm' by Leah Bardugo. Quite a nice little selection across genres.
    Not much grows under the cloud of perfectionism.
    @serensavara

Quote Originally Posted by SciSarahTops View Post
    'Pirate Women - the princesses, prostitutes and privateers who ruled the seven seas' by, Laura Sook Duncombe
    Oo, is this brand new? I can't wait to read it. I'm adding it to my list.

Work in Progress:

practical experience, FTW SciSarahTops's Avatar
    Reading about writing... less of the actual writing
    Quote Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
    Oo, is this brand new? I can't wait to read it. I'm adding it to my list.
    Yes it's new, and I have to say it was considerably less when I bought it but very enjoyable.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Not much grows under the cloud of perfectionism.
    @serensavara

Quote Originally Posted by SciSarahTops View Post
    'Anathem' - Neal Stephenson
    One of my all-time favorite books - I've read it perhaps half a dozen times (and that's no small investment of time).

I've been slogging my way through Henry James's The Ambassadors, and concluding that I just don't understand why he wrote it the way he did. It feels to me like he bloated his sentences with needless words and obfuscated their meaning with nonstandard word order just to make the book more difficult to read. But that can't possibly have been his intention, and so I am at a loss to understand it. I read The Bostonians about a year ago, and while it too often used five words when two would do, I don't remember it being so difficult to follow. It was languid, but not incomprehensible.

practical experience, FTW HarvesterOfSorrow's Avatar
    Disclosure, by Michael Crichton.
    "He's gone! He's gone from here! The evil is gone!"

Sam Loomis
    John Carpenter's Halloween.

Tropic of Cancer- Henry Miller

*UPDATED*

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie- Muriel Spark
    Last edited by DanielSTJ; Yesterday at 07:09 PM.
    Vivere militare est.

Page 328 of 328 FirstFirst ... 78228253278303318322323324325326327328