Sympathetic Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpsorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sff.net
I read a book recently and it sucked. I mean, really sucked. And no, I won't tell you what book it was, because whether or not a book sucks is usually a personal taste thing, so I'm sure there are people out there that think it rocked. But anyway, I read through the whole book, because I always read the entire book even if it sucks in order to figure out WHY it sucks in the hopes that I never do the same thing myself. My reaction was bad enough to this book that I almost couldn't finish it (and keep in mind this is a published novel, but a major publisher). In the end, I think there were two fundamental things wrong with it: the character and the form. I'll talk about the character problem today as my writer tip post, and mess with the much more elusive and difficutl idea of "form" next week (in my head it has something to do with the "weight" of scenes and information, but I haven't gotten it down into a coherent idea yet).

So, the character in your novel:

Sympathetic Characters

You've probably heard writers stalk about having a sympathetic character, and the fact that it's necessary for a novel. And guess what? It IS necessary for a novel. The sympathetic character is what draws the reader into the novel, it's what makes them want to continue reading, makes them want to not put the book down, makes them CARE. And if the reader doesn't care about the characters, then there is nothing about the plot--no matter how cool it is--that will save the novel. You've lost that essential connection to the reader, and there's no way to gain that back. And you have to make the character sympathetic as soon as possible, because readers typically won't wait five chapters to become sympathetic with the character, they'll put the book down after twenty pages, not a hundred.

So having a character that makes the reader care is essential. This doesn't mean that you have to have a nice character, or even a "good" character. In fact, those types of characters are typically boring and DON'T make the reader care. As stated before, you're character needs to have some flaws, and needs to have problems, and these flaws and problems need to be ones that the reader can relate to. If the reader can see a little bit of themselves in the character, or if they can relate to the problem the character is having in some way (because their friend went through the same thing or whatever), then they'll be able to sink themselves into the character, and thus into the story. They'll have their own personal stakes in the story, and they'll be sympathetic with the trials and tribulations the character is going through at the moment. They'll be able to see the mistakes that the character is making, root for the character when things go well or bad, and in the end they're silently hoping that the character will prevail.

That's what draws the reader into the story. That connection to the character, that PERSONAL investment in the character. And again, you need to make the reader make that personal investment as early as possible. Once that's happened, there's only a few ways to screw things up after that. You've got them hooked, and as long as you don't betray their trust. (Oooooo! There's another writing tip post in itself!)

Anyway, that's what happened in this book I read. Or at least one of the things. I didn't get a personal connection with the main character, and thus I didn't care about what happened to her in any way shape or form. And it wasn't just no connection, I actually didn't even LIKE the main character. In one sense, she was TOO strong. I didn't see any flaw or weakness in her. There was a feeble attempt to make the character flawed, but it felt pasted on, as if the writer knew that this flaw was missing and after they'd written the novel they tried to put in a flaw . . . and it just didn't work. Because the flaw didn't have anything to do with the rest of the story, so I didn't buy it. And that flaw was of course the "change" that the character was supposed to go through during the course of the novel. At the end though, I didn't feel like the character had changed at all. Nothing had changed really, except she was a little bloodier and bruised.

So, in the end, I couldn't connect with the main character. And nothing else in the novel could draw me in. I though the setting--the worldbuilding--was unique and rather interesting, but there wasn't much done with it, and of course I didn't care about it because I didn't care about the character. The plot was also fine (not as good as the setting), but again, I DIDN'T CARE. It was just there, and the character was walking through it, and so what.

Think about books you've read that have had multiple characters, where you skip from one character to another. Don't you have favorite characters? And when one of your least favorite characters comes up, don't you sort of sigh and plow through that section so you know the important parts of the plot, but you can't wait to get to the next section dealing with your favorite character? That's a case where you have a connection to a character, and that connection is making you--no, FORCING you--to read the novel, even forcing you to read those parts dealing with characters you don't care about. That's a sympathetic character, and it's what drive readers through books. If you can't establish that, and fast, then the reader has no stakes in the novel, and is likely to put it down. So, think about your characters, think about how they act, what their flaws are, and whether or not people will be able to relate to those flaws. And make certain that the flaws aren't just slapped on there for the sake of having flaws. Make certain the flaws and how the character deals with those flaws have some impact on the plot, and perhaps the setting, and vice versa. If you can do that, if you can make the reader CARE about the character and whether or not he or she succeeds, then you'll have your reader by the throat to the very end.

Chalula88

Registered
Reaction score
Here! Here!

I completely agree with you. It is so bothersome when a writer tries to write these kick butt characters that already exist perfectly fine on their own and they expect us to be interested? Or they write characters that are just mean.

I keep thinking of Vacancy, it's a movie, but still the two main characters are going through a divorce and neither one of them is kind or sympathetic. They tried to cover it up by making their meanness the "flaw" that they grew out of it, but by the time they grew out of it I already didn't care.:Shrug:

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
I agree. Connecting with characters is why I read AND write. I've tried so hard to write a plot driven novel, but alas...it just doesn't work for me. My betas seem to get hung up on a character or two, and plotline be damned, they want what they feel is best for said character. My husband is constantly pleading with me to let my antagonist win. :D

Garpy

keyboard monkey
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scarrow.dsnet.co.uk
100% with you on that.

Nevil Shute (dead Brit author, wrote books in the 50, 60s) for me was one of the best creators of every day characters...people so ordinary you'd expect to bump into them at your local post office, laundrymat etc etc.

His books affected me deeply and guide my writing. Character is everything, then comes plot.

Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spontaneousderivation.com
It's amazing how sympathetic even the most evil character is when you give him/her a human side.

So characters can be mean---but they must also be somehow vulnerable in meaningful ways. A villain who is afraid of dogs is not necessarily sympathetic, but one who is afraid of dogs because they remind him of some deep event that made such an impression that he felt he was driven down an isolated path he believes is right, if hard on people.... that villain can be sympathetic.

That villain could also be the hero of a novel.

Xx|e|ph|e|me|r|al|xX

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. Connecting with characters is why I read AND write. I've tried so hard to write a plot driven novel, but alas...it just doesn't work for me.
Xx| I'm this way too. XD

With Epsilon, I intended it to be an action/adventure/sci-fi novel inspired by the Shadow the Hedgehog game and Shadow himself. But no, now it's a love story, and later on in it, it's about rights and privileges. :rolleyes:

A few people have told me that they're invested in the characters in the first page or so. I hope they weren't just being nice...because I'm certainly completely in love with my characters, every flaw and every quirk. XD

Very good rant. :cool: |xX

Zara Ravenwood

Registered
Reaction score
Oddly I’ve got the opposite problem, my one of my villains just got too sympathetic.

amber_grosjean

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amberrigbygrosjean.blogspot.com
It's amazing how sympathetic even the most evil character is when you give him/her a human side.

So characters can be mean---but they must also be somehow vulnerable in meaningful ways. A villain who is afraid of dogs is not necessarily sympathetic, but one who is afraid of dogs because they remind him of some deep event that made such an impression that he felt he was driven down an isolated path he believes is right, if hard on people.... that villain can be sympathetic.

That villain could also be the hero of a novel.

The main character in the book that has just been published is like that. When I wrote the book at first, it was totally different than it will be when it comes out. He was abused growing up, people can relate to that. He was also adopted. Something else people could relate to. The two things combined with the fact that his birth mother kept his twin and gave him away really can make someone sympothise. I do. He goes the wrong way about it, killing his twin to steal his identity so he become a bad person.

Good or bad, you have to relate to the character or know someone who could. That is why I try to use people I know to create the personalities. It really helps.

Amber

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Hi, there, Joshua! Nice to see you - and thanks for the article!

Writing sympathetic characters is one of my biggest challenges. I tend to be a very stoic person, myself, so it's hard for me to get into any emotional depth, either good or evil!

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
You know one author who makes me uncomfortable? Sidney Sheldon, because his characters can be so mean. John Jakes is another, because his characters can be rather heedless/clueless/lowlife...whatever. But somehow these guys sold a LOT of books!

wayndom

Registered
Reaction score
Two comments:

(a) Stephen King has used the same formula in several novels to "guarantee" that his protag is sympathetic: Make the protag a kid (or introduce him as a kid, as in IT), and give him a disability that he, through heroic personal effort, overcomes. It's a blatant formula, but King seems to get away with it every time, even when it's completely wrong. To wit, in THE STAND, his protag was born without eardrums, so he's never heard a sound in his life, yet he teaches himself to read lips AND speak, both of which are completely impossible. Even people born with normal hearing lose the ability to speak in a few months if they lose all hearing. And even professional lip-readers who work for the FBI can only pick up a few words and phrases here and there, even though they've been thoroughly briefed by the FBI on the subject of discussion that they're watching (this info directly from a pro lip-reader). No one can simply watch someone's mouth and tell exactly what they're saying. (In fact, there's an old joke based on this. You ask someone if they can read lips, and then mouth the word, "vacuum," and they'll invariably think you said, "F-you.")

(2) Don't know why you won't name the novel in question, but your description reminded me of one of my most un-favorite movies, NAKED, by Mike Leigh. There was no disernable plot, just a bunch of totally unlikable (loathsome would be more accurate) characters, lying, stealing and scheming against each other. I've never understood who liked that movie, or why...

wayndom

Registered
Reaction score
Oddly I’ve got the opposite problem, my one of my villains just got too sympathetic.

That reminds me of THE MAN FROM ST. PETERSBURG, by Ken Follett. The villain is SO sympathetic that as the novel drew toward the climax, I kept wondering, "How the hell is Follett going to tie this all up? If the hero kills the villain, I'll hate him!"

I don't want to give any spoilers here, especially since ST. PETERSBURG is such a good novel, so... "read the book to learn the surprise ending."

And by the way, in WRITING THE BLOCKBUSTER NOVEL, Zuckerman (Follett's agent) shows all of Follett's many outlines of ST. PETERSBURG, and the final ending doesn't appear in any of them (maybe Zuckerman didn't want to spoil it, either), which goes to show you can write a great novel without knowing how it's going to end until you get there....

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
(2) Don't know why you won't name the novel in question, but your description reminded me of one of my most un-favorite movies, NAKED, by Mike Leigh. There was no disernable plot, just a bunch of totally unlikable (loathsome would be more accurate) characters, lying, stealing and scheming against each other. I've never understood who liked that movie, or why...

Reminded me of the movie remake of The Lady Killers with Tom Hanks. I disliked the movie tremendously because I couldn't "connect" with any of the characters except the old lady. All the other main characters were unlikable and unsympathetic. It was actually a rather clever movie but it failed because of the characters.

The dreaded "can't connect with the character" problem. While story is king, without good, relatable characters, the king has no clothes.

sanssouci

Registered
Reaction score
I've hated many books for that reason, and it's also been the biggest challenge for me in my own writing.

The worst one though, that I've read, was Junkie by William S. Burroughs. God, I hated that book. I kept asking myself "why the hell am I reading this? Do I actually want any of these characters to live?"

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
All the other main characters were unlikable and unsympathetic.

This is something I think it's important to remember. Unlikeable characters are fine - as long as they're interesting and as long as the reader cares about what they're doing. Take Hannibal Lector, for example. Not exactly the nicest guy in the world but we care about why he eats people and we care whether or not he'll survive capture or death throughout the series. He's interesting even if he isn't the good guy.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
This is something I think it's important to remember. Unlikeable characters are fine - as long as they're interesting and as long as the reader cares about what they're doing. Take Hannibal Lector, for example. Not exactly the nicest guy in the world but we care about why he eats people and we care whether or not he'll survive capture or death throughout the series. He's interesting even if he isn't the good guy.

But...but... He's not the good guy? :cry:

You know, the book ending is WAY different than the movie ending. I <3 the book ending. :D

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
But that's the thing -- Hannibal is a villain, but he's actually likable and sympathetic! Now that's a great character: How can you make a bad guy who eats people both likable and sympathetic? I think Hannibal is a great study for all writers. Too bad they butchered him (pun intended) in Hannibal Rising.

a_sharp

Somebody give me an A
Registered
Reaction score
I like what agent Donald Maass says about developing characters that are "larger than life." I think Lector's character appeals because of his extraordinary flaws, loathesome as they are. Maass contrasts real people vs. larger-than-life figures. "When people in real life are colorful, outrageous, heroic, highly accomplished, great wits or otherwise memorable, they are said to be 'like a character in a novel.'"

Maybe it's the extraordinary that we need to imbue our characters with in order to make them "sympathetic," which word I construe to mean "appealing." The vampire Lestat (Anne Rice) is appealing because he's such an extraordinary example of his kind. I think this is what makes Steven King's books sell--I don't care for horror, but I understand why his characters appeal to his readership because of their extraordinary oddity and invention.

However, if a writer strives for the extraordinary and misses, you get a character such as OP describes.

Last edited:

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I ran into this very thing with Avarice, which has largely spurred the re-write. I realized, reading back on my own work, that I didn't care about my MC. At least, not as she appeared on paper. In my head, she's great, but...I obviously didn't do her justice with what I wrote. And if I the author don't care about her, then I can't expect the reader to.

Third Strike, on the other hand, is going MUCH better.

amber_grosjean

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amberrigbygrosjean.blogspot.com
The thing about Hannibal, it was based on the real person. They may have changed a few things but the actual character was based on truth. I never read the book. After seeing the movie, I couldn't. I didn't like him and wouldn't watch the movie again. Sure he was sympathetic but that was all. I didn't care why he ate people, I cared about him getting taken and thrown in prison. But feelings, either way, were evoked and that is what sympathy does, it makes you care about something.

Amber

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah.

I'm a little sick of the supersympathetic villain myself. Like the "my daddy hit me" kind of villain. The protagonist in my WIP Vanity was inspired by the villain of the Snow White story. She does bad stuff because her major personality flaw...vanity...takes over her, whereas if she was a heroic kind of protagonist, she would overcome it.

I'm about the characters first. Stuff happening is important, too, but I'm about the characters first. It's what I like to read.

imagoodgurl4

Attack!
Registered
Reaction score
Good thread! I have a villian in my story who is mean out of vanity and greed. Then I have a character who appears to be a bad guy out of greed, but is really a good guy deep down, reasons which become apparent later in the novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.