Vampires are out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
I keep hearing that no one is buying Vampire stories. Anyone have any insight on this?

I've got a completed Vampire manuscript and I want to start querying it...but am wondering if I'd just be spinning my wheels with this one?

Last edited:

jurched

Registered
Reaction score
Oi! Hope not! My story is set in a vampire world! But I haven't mentioned a single one in any of my queries, so makes me wonder if its helping or hindering the selling process?

J

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
My wallet is always open to another vamp book. I love 'em. Well, except for Anne Rice's vamps. Too angsty and whiny.

And Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series is selling like hotcakes. I grab the new one as soon as it hits the shelves. Every time. Talk about vamps.

GhostAuthor

She who should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinabarber.net
I don't believe that any particular 'monster' is out. Perhaps a certain type of vampire story, with a certain style might be overdone.

And I echo the others here, I sure hope they aren't out - I'm in submittal hell right now with my vamp series. Got a few nibbles, no big bites yet, though.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Hope not!

IMHO, vampires can never be really "out" -- but, as GhostAuthor says, certain kinds of stories have been overdone. I think there's plenty of room for fresh takes on the legends.

Reaction score
I don't think they're out but as a genre, they're particularly susceptible to cliche, so I reckon you'd have a better chance of selling if your vampires had a twist to them that no-one else had ever thought of before. Something they can do or can't do, a talent, or a mission in life. (Death?)

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
About every 2 years, I hear that vampires are out and the genre is dead. But they rise again, undead... :D

Scarletpeaches is right. As in anything, just avoid the cliches.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Nah. They're not out, so long as the concept is original. They told me and my co-author nobody was buying, too--until we gave them vampires that are creepy sentient parasites with a hive mentality that crawl through a person's veins to infect them. Whole new spin, so suddenly it was "Wow! Vampires!" :Shrug: Give your guys and gals some interesting spin and you'll be fine.

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Phew, that makes me feel better. Thanks for the encouragement. My story definitely has a different spin on the legend so maybe I'll get a few nibble when I start to query.

Chalula88

Registered
Reaction score
Vampires better not go out before I get to write them!

I've always wanted to write something with vampires. I love them!

I think, like romances, they may be overdone, but they'll never go out of style.

acharity

fantabulous!
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... they are overdone, come to think of it... and while I have Anne Rice books, I find that I can't read them! I get bored too quickly of them ~_~

Haha, a gay vampire? Brings new meaning to the word vamp! :D

acharity

fantabulous!
Registered
Reaction score
But it could work! :O His love interest is an ordinary mortal, and is he willing to sacrifice his life and family to be with the vampire he loves?! *suspense!*

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
A guy just sold a vampire trilogy to Ballantine for three million. So I'd say they're far from out.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
My box from Rhapsody Book Club just arrived. Seven of the books are Vampire romances....so....what does that tell you?

Hush, Cray...

I read a wide variety, but I prefer ONE of the characters to have fangs...my personal fave for my reading/writing.

Last edited:

Jack Nog

Brain-farts are useful too.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think anything is ever out. Even the cliche pieces can get bites if their good writing and good story.

oscuridad

Registered
Reaction score
very much out in YA cirlces, I am told (by someone who ought to know). but then Wizards at boarding school weren't in about 11 years ago...

Jack_Roberts

Scribe of my muse, Annabelle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
night-children.blogspot.com
very much out in YA cirlces, I am told (by someone who ought to know). but then Wizards at boarding school weren't in about 11 years ago...

Not so! Racheal Vater told me that too yet Stephenie Meyer's Twilight is still selling very well.

A new spin should always help. I think that my...

... Annabelle? What are you doing here? Yes I know I need to get back to your story but... but... I was just helping... I know. I still need to work on the edits and put more "show" in instead of telling. I know I need to get back to your... Yes. Yes, I was planing...

... those eyes...

Uh... I need to get back to my edits.

Status
Not open for further replies.