• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

TheBlackSheepGroup

JCT

Banned
Reaction score
There are some red flags. First, their website is simply a parked domain. No content. Second, they say they have a publisher but they do not name the publisher. Third, they say they pay $100 "On a sliding scale" but fail to say what that scale is. I assume authors get no cut of the royalties.

My take is this: too little information to go on. I'd pass.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with JCT - plus of the people described as making up the company, only 2 of them claim to be writers (one "author" and one "scriptwriter"). There's no-one listed as having any experience with publishing, no history of the publisher or their other publication credentials and the fact that they're particularly keen to work with "new writers" is always a whacking great red flag. Plus there's the fact that the opening paragraph they require authors to work from simply isn't particularly well-written.

MM

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Not to mention the fact that the opening paragraph that every contributor to the anthology project is supposed to use is laughably bad:
The air was warming up slowly, but it was still cold. At least it was a little warmer then outside now. He sat there at the table, still wet and still very tired. Every muscle ached. His shoulders and back screamed at him to grab a hot shower, but there wasn't time. The mug of hot black coffee warmed his bare hands to the point of almost burning. A waft of smoke from the fire in the other room was making its way down the hall, mixing with the scent of the freshly ground dark beans. His two favourite smells. The sound of the crackling fire was almost muffled by the gentle rain on the iron roof. Then another sound, a new sound. The door opening at the end of the hall. Soft footsteps to his back. It was time.

I don't know about you, but when my shoulders scream at me, I just tell them to shut up.

- Victoria

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Okay. He has time to make coffee, including grinding beans, but can't jump in the shower. Wow. This guy never worked a day job.

Gentle rain that makes him soaking wet, screaming shoulders, fire lit long enough to make coffee but still just barely warming - why doesn't he go where the fire is, anyway? Well, I guess we could make something of the footsteps walking up his back. Or did they mean behind him?

Blast those screaming shoulders! Can't get a word in edgewise! :tongue

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I have no problems with screaming shoulders - mine fall into the jibbering variety. ;)

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
...but his hip bone argued he should go back to sleep, and his left foot wasn't paying any attention at all!

collectivethought

Black Sheep Group

Here's what I know about the Black Sheep Group. They are based in Western Australia (which may, perhaps, lend itself to the rough-sounding opening paragraph). They appear to sell graphic T-shirts through Cafe Press. I have just e-mailed them to get more info, and I'll pass on any info that I can get my hands on. (I actually came across these forums--and this thread--while researching these guys).

collectivethought

Blacksheep

Well, I have to say this for the BlackSheepGroup, they are promt in answering e-mail. Here's what they told me about themselves.

They are, in fact, Austrailia-based. This is a first attempt at an anthology. They have an austrailian publisher, and their first run will be in austrailia.

They are paying writers out of pocket upon acceptance of the peice, and giving the featured writers a copy of the book.

Like I said, Shane...one of the Black Sheep Group members, really impressed me with the promptness of his e-mail replies (these were not auto-replies, btw). He replied to two e-mails within minutes of recieving them, and answered all of my questions with no run around. For this reason, I think I'll give them a chance. Hell, sounds like a fun project, and what do I ave to lose?

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Well, I have to say this for the BlackSheepGroup, they are promt in answering e-mail. Here's what they told me about themselves.

They are, in fact, Austrailia-based. This is a first attempt at an anthology. They have an austrailian publisher, and their first run will be in austrailia.

They are paying writers out of pocket upon acceptance of the peice, and giving the featured writers a copy of the book.

Like I said, Shane...one of the Black Sheep Group members, really impressed me with the promptness of his e-mail replies (these were not auto-replies, btw). He replied to two e-mails within minutes of recieving them, and answered all of my questions with no run around. For this reason, I think I'll give them a chance. Hell, sounds like a fun project, and what do I ave to lose?

Based on two "prompt" emails? Hmm... what is your relationship to Blacksheep?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Who is the publisher? And what are they paying their contributors?

brer

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Their opening paragraph (snipped) :
The air was warming up slowly, but it was still cold. At least it was a little warmer then outside now.

... snipped ...

Do I have to use "then"? :eek:

If I do, I fear one of my (former) elementary school teachers will whump me knuckles bad with a yardstick.

Last edited:

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's what I know about the Black Sheep Group. They are based in Western Australia (which may, perhaps, lend itself to the rough-sounding opening paragraph).
Perhaps, but the webpage registration is to the Shane Blackman (who you talked to via email) in Wyong, NSW. This is Eastern Australia - not Western. When talking about a country that fills an entire continent, it makes a big difference!

A search of ABN records gives no business or individual trading as 'The Black Sheep Group' (although there is a 'Black Sheep Strategic Group' in Victoria - probably unrelated). (Visit www.abr.business.gov.au & type in the person's name/company name/trading name.)

Registering a business for an ABN is the first step to running a business in Australia - it is even free and can be done over the internet. To put it bluntly, you can't deal with a publisher in Australia without one. (Technically you could - but the tax office would take half of any money paid by the publisher, and you would have to fill out paperwork to get it back. It a nice method of making ABNs compulsary for B2B transactions without actually making them compulsary!)

They mentioned being involved as a scriptwriter? There is one Aussie film production company called 'Blacksheep Productions' here in Australia - see www.blacksheep.com.au (ABN 61 065 239 054 ). I've heard them called 'The Blacksheep Group' before. Their names might clash if they want to expand - it could be a little confusing.

From memory, BlackSheep Productions tend to do OB video stuff, so it might not be too bad.

I hope this new guy does well, but he needs to worry about some business aspects of running his venture.

Good luck,

Mac
(PS: I there an equivalent US website to www.abr.business.gov.au ? I've often come across people claiming to be 'COMPANY NAME, LLC' and wanted to type in their company name to see if they really are who they claim to be)

Last edited:

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
(PS: Is there an equivalent US website to www.abr.business.gov.au ? I've often come across people claiming to be 'COMPANY NAME, LLC' and wanted to type in their company name to see if they really are who they claim to be)

In order to do business in a particular state, an entity must file with the Recorder's Office for the county in which they are located. Google the city in which the entity is located to determine the county, then search for that county's Recorder's Office. They should have a public records section where you can search a particular business name/entity.

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
This may well be a project undertaken with good will and in good faith. That's a whole separate issue from whether or not it's a professional project that will count as a writing credit. That opening paragraph suggests...not.

Something to think about.

- Victoria

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
TheBlackSheepGroup is still out to pasture.

philbotic

Registered
Reaction score
Hi from "THe Black Sheep Group"

Hi Guys :)

Yes Australia is a large continent ;) I found this thread by accident, as u do. Slight confusion, we don't have anything to do with the Eastern Group, didn't even know of their existance til now.

"The Black Sheep Group" is essentially me, plus some invited designers.

Hope u like the character ;)

http://www.cafepress.com/blacksheeptm

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
One mystery solved! Thanks for dropping by, Philbotic.