AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: TheBlackSheepGroup

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin WritingForFood's Avatar

TheBlackSheepGroup

They had a call for submission on WriterFind... here's the link: http://writerfind.com/freelance_jobs/job4020.htm

Anyone heard of them? Any thoughts about it?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.WritingForFood.com

Sockpuppet
    There are some red flags. First, their website is simply a parked domain. No content. Second, they say they have a publisher but they do not name the publisher. Third, they say they pay $100 "On a sliding scale" but fail to say what that scale is. I assume authors get no cut of the royalties.

My take is this: too little information to go on. I'd pass.

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    I agree with JCT - plus of the people described as making up the company, only 2 of them claim to be writers (one "author" and one "scriptwriter"). There's no-one listed as having any experience with publishing, no history of the publisher or their other publication credentials and the fact that they're particularly keen to work with "new writers" is always a whacking great red flag. Plus there's the fact that the opening paragraph they require authors to work from simply isn't particularly well-written.

MM

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Not to mention the fact that the opening paragraph that every contributor to the anthology project is supposed to use is laughably bad:
    The air was warming up slowly, but it was still cold. At least it was a little warmer then outside now. He sat there at the table, still wet and still very tired. Every muscle ached. His shoulders and back screamed at him to grab a hot shower, but there wasn't time. The mug of hot black coffee warmed his bare hands to the point of almost burning. A waft of smoke from the fire in the other room was making its way down the hall, mixing with the scent of the freshly ground dark beans. His two favourite smells. The sound of the crackling fire was almost muffled by the gentle rain on the iron roof. Then another sound, a new sound. The door opening at the end of the hall. Soft footsteps to his back. It was time.

I don't know about you, but when my shoulders scream at me, I just tell them to shut up.

- Victoria

practical experience, FTW BarbJ's Avatar
    Okay. He has time to make coffee, including grinding beans, but can't jump in the shower. Wow. This guy never worked a day job.

Gentle rain that makes him soaking wet, screaming shoulders, fire lit long enough to make coffee but still just barely warming - why doesn't he go where the fire is, anyway? Well, I guess we could make something of the footsteps walking up his back. Or did they mean behind him?

Blast those screaming shoulders! Can't get a word in edgewise!

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    I have no problems with screaming shoulders - mine fall into the jibbering variety.

...but his hip bone argued he should go back to sleep, and his left foot wasn't paying any attention at all!

Oh...my goodness.

Tri

collectivethought

Black Sheep Group

Here's what I know about the Black Sheep Group. They are based in Western Australia (which may, perhaps, lend itself to the rough-sounding opening paragraph). They appear to sell graphic T-shirts through Cafe Press. I have just e-mailed them to get more info, and I'll pass on any info that I can get my hands on. (I actually came across these forums--and this thread--while researching these guys).

Let us know what you find out, collectivethought.
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

Sockpuppet
    http://www.cafepress.com/buy/Black+S...t_/fpt_/c_666/

That's the shirts. What this has to do with publishing is beyond me.

collectivethought

Blacksheep

Well, I have to say this for the BlackSheepGroup, they are promt in answering e-mail. Here's what they told me about themselves.

They are, in fact, Austrailia-based. This is a first attempt at an anthology. They have an austrailian publisher, and their first run will be in austrailia.

They are paying writers out of pocket upon acceptance of the peice, and giving the featured writers a copy of the book.

Like I said, Shane...one of the Black Sheep Group members, really impressed me with the promptness of his e-mail replies (these were not auto-replies, btw). He replied to two e-mails within minutes of recieving them, and answered all of my questions with no run around. For this reason, I think I'll give them a chance. Hell, sounds like a fun project, and what do I ave to lose?

The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
    Quote Originally Posted by collectivethought View Post
    Well, I have to say this for the BlackSheepGroup, they are promt in answering e-mail. Here's what they told me about themselves.

They are, in fact, Austrailia-based. This is a first attempt at an anthology. They have an austrailian publisher, and their first run will be in austrailia.

They are paying writers out of pocket upon acceptance of the peice, and giving the featured writers a copy of the book.

Like I said, Shane...one of the Black Sheep Group members, really impressed me with the promptness of his e-mail replies (these were not auto-replies, btw). He replied to two e-mails within minutes of recieving them, and answered all of my questions with no run around. For this reason, I think I'll give them a chance. Hell, sounds like a fun project, and what do I ave to lose?
    Based on two "prompt" emails? Hmm... what is your relationship to Blacksheep?
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

"Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Who is the publisher? And what are they paying their contributors?

permaflounced
    Their opening paragraph (snipped) :
    The air was warming up slowly, but it was still cold. At least it was a little warmer then outside now.

... snipped ...
    Do I have to use "then"?

If I do, I fear one of my (former) elementary school teachers will whump me knuckles bad with a yardstick.
    Last edited by brer; 08-26-2007 at 12:29 PM.

Board Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by collectivethought View Post
    Here's what I know about the Black Sheep Group. They are based in Western Australia (which may, perhaps, lend itself to the rough-sounding opening paragraph).
    Perhaps, but the webpage registration is to the Shane Blackman (who you talked to via email) in Wyong, NSW. This is Eastern Australia - not Western. When talking about a country that fills an entire continent, it makes a big difference!

A search of ABN records gives no business or individual trading as 'The Black Sheep Group' (although there is a 'Black Sheep Strategic Group' in Victoria - probably unrelated). (Visit www.abr.business.gov.au & type in the person's name/company name/trading name.)

Registering a business for an ABN is the first step to running a business in Australia - it is even free and can be done over the internet. To put it bluntly, you can't deal with a publisher in Australia without one. (Technically you could - but the tax office would take half of any money paid by the publisher, and you would have to fill out paperwork to get it back. It a nice method of making ABNs compulsary for B2B transactions without actually making them compulsary!)

They mentioned being involved as a scriptwriter? There is one Aussie film production company called 'Blacksheep Productions' here in Australia - see www.blacksheep.com.au (ABN 61 065 239 054 ). I've heard them called 'The Blacksheep Group' before. Their names might clash if they want to expand - it could be a little confusing.

From memory, BlackSheep Productions tend to do OB video stuff, so it might not be too bad.

I hope this new guy does well, but he needs to worry about some business aspects of running his venture.

Good luck,

Mac
    (PS: I there an equivalent US website to www.abr.business.gov.au ? I've often come across people claiming to be 'COMPANY NAME, LLC' and wanted to type in their company name to see if they really are who they claim to be)
    Last edited by Mac H.; 08-28-2007 at 05:30 AM.

The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
    (PS: Is there an equivalent US website to www.abr.business.gov.au ? I've often come across people claiming to be 'COMPANY NAME, LLC' and wanted to type in their company name to see if they really are who they claim to be)
    In order to do business in a particular state, an entity must file with the Recorder's Office for the county in which they are located. Google the city in which the entity is located to determine the county, then search for that county's Recorder's Office. They should have a public records section where you can search a particular business name/entity.
    Last edited by brianm; 08-27-2007 at 01:38 AM.
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

"Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    This may well be a project undertaken with good will and in good faith. That's a whole separate issue from whether or not it's a professional project that will count as a writing credit. That opening paragraph suggests...not.

Something to think about.

- Victoria

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    TheBlackSheepGroup is still out to pasture.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Hi from "THe Black Sheep Group"

Hi Guys

Yes Australia is a large continent I found this thread by accident, as u do. Slight confusion, we don't have anything to do with the Eastern Group, didn't even know of their existance til now.

"The Black Sheep Group" is essentially me, plus some invited designers.

Hope u like the character

http://www.cafepress.com/blacksheeptm

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    One mystery solved! Thanks for dropping by, Philbotic.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: