• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Shadowrose / Shadowmere

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
Seems to be a new e-pub and PODdy. They're a member of EPIC, and their shadowmere imprint accepts stuff a lot of other e-pubs avoid (children's, for one), but their FAQs aren't very in-depth. It sounds as though they don't even have a wholesaler in place yet (they say they will have a distributor and wholesaler soon when they go through Lightning Source), but I think they're mostly focusing on ebooks. Their books are on mobipocket, but not fictionwise that I can tell. They might need to have 15 books before approval.
Their covers are so-so. They assure us they are NOT a vanity press, and their editors are published authors (do these companies just copy and paste from each others' sites?) but they make no mention of royalties.

Anyone here an author?

http://www.shadowrosepublishing.com/

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It is fairly easy to see who the owners are and where they are published, and the distribution their books get. There are quite a few romance e-PODs around so it pays to look into the fields and think about whether a very small, new one has something the larger and better esptablished presses don't.

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
Well, it always has inexperience!

I wasn't considering submitting, actually, but I'm intruiged by the idea of an e-pub excepting so many genres (Shadowmere). Unless we get more of those, the term 'ebook' is going to refer exclusively to erotica (or romance) before long.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
When they forst opened they had book simultaneously on Lulu and on their own page. But apparently they now use Lightning Source. It isn't clear to me.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Wesbite is gone. Dear Author reports Shadowrose incommunicado and current authors in limbo.

FionnJameson

Fionn: 0/Year: 24
Registered
Reaction score
DP, as someone who was once published by them and sorely regretting it, I can definitely attest to the fact that they've gone under.

...they still owe me royalties.

FionnJameson

Fionn: 0/Year: 24
Registered
Reaction score
No. There was no such news that Shadowrose/Shadowmere was closing. We never got any email, nor any apology as to what the hell was going on. Apparently, the founder got ridiculously ill and had to pull down the entire company. I still see her daughter floating around the web though.

Rights automatically revert back in 3 years...if I remember correctly. On second thought, I should probably check out that contract again.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Check to see if there's a clause about the publisher going out of business. A decent contract will state that rights revert back to you if that happens.

DP