AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publisher] Shadowrose / Shadowmere

Ahead of Your Time Chicken Warrior's Avatar

[Publisher] Shadowrose / Shadowmere

Seems to be a new e-pub and PODdy. They're a member of EPIC, and their shadowmere imprint accepts stuff a lot of other e-pubs avoid (children's, for one), but their FAQs aren't very in-depth. It sounds as though they don't even have a wholesaler in place yet (they say they will have a distributor and wholesaler soon when they go through Lightning Source), but I think they're mostly focusing on ebooks. Their books are on mobipocket, but not fictionwise that I can tell. They might need to have 15 books before approval.
    Their covers are so-so. They assure us they are NOT a vanity press, and their editors are published authors (do these companies just copy and paste from each others' sites?) but they make no mention of royalties.

Anyone here an author?

http://www.shadowrosepublishing.com/

practical experience, FTW BarbJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Warrior View Post
    Anyone here an author?
    Authors? Here?

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    It is fairly easy to see who the owners are and where they are published, and the distribution their books get. There are quite a few romance e-PODs around so it pays to look into the fields and think about whether a very small, new one has something the larger and better esptablished presses don't.
    Emily Veinglory

Well, it always has inexperience!

I wasn't considering submitting, actually, but I'm intruiged by the idea of an e-pub excepting so many genres (Shadowmere). Unless we get more of those, the term 'ebook' is going to refer exclusively to erotica (or romance) before long.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Another Lulu-based venture: http://stores.lulu.com/shadowrosepublishing
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Hmmm, they said they were using lightning source now. Maybe both?

When they forst opened they had book simultaneously on Lulu and on their own page. But apparently they now use Lightning Source. It isn't clear to me.
    Emily Veinglory

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Wesbite is gone. Dear Author reports Shadowrose incommunicado and current authors in limbo.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

permaflounced
    I think they may have gone out of business.

DP

DP, as someone who was once published by them and sorely regretting it, I can definitely attest to the fact that they've gone under.

...they still owe me royalties.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Fionn, did you get your rights back?

- Victoria

No. There was no such news that Shadowrose/Shadowmere was closing. We never got any email, nor any apology as to what the hell was going on. Apparently, the founder got ridiculously ill and had to pull down the entire company. I still see her daughter floating around the web though.

Rights automatically revert back in 3 years...if I remember correctly. On second thought, I should probably check out that contract again.

permaflounced
    Check to see if there's a clause about the publisher going out of business. A decent contract will state that rights revert back to you if that happens.

DP

Shadowrose etc did a boojum and vanished away. But I presume the contracts had a specified term and will lapse?
    Emily Veinglory

Yum. Boojum. I remember that word.