What Do You Miss from the 1840's?

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
oops so he was. I got confuzzled because Television shows always talk about them at the same time I thought they were contemporaries.

But let's not forget everyone's favorite girl Typhoid Mary.
Ah, yes. The cook with the extra ingredient. We like her.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I do so miss that long ocean voyage to France with my momma/servant because the plantation owner's new in-laws do not like seeing his features on my face and do not like my momma sharing his bed, and besides the schools are better in France and he feels I'll find a more suitable husband there than in North Carolina because 'old harpies talk'.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic! Thanks for that and have a rep on me.

The bird in the last photo looks like a hellcat, and her brothers look (quite rightly) terrified. They know that as soon as the photo is done, she's going to smack them on the head with a chamberpot, or something, and they can't do anything or she'll say, 'For shame, Bertie, would you hit a girl?'

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic! Thanks for that and have a rep on me.

The bird in the last photo looks like a hellcat, and her brothers look (quite rightly) terrified. They know that as soon as the photo is done, she's going to smack them on the head with a chamberpot, or something, and they can't do anything or she'll say, 'For shame, Bertie, would you hit a girl?'

heh.

glad it wasn't just me thinking that. C'mon. Let's go crash dad's pub. He won't mind ... we can hang out in the back and uh, you know ... count the pickles or something. :D

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't help noticing in that last picture that both the men are smoking.

I miss the 1840s and having no clue what might be bad for us, so we did what we wanted.

Maryn, still craving smokes many years later

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I miss the porcelain dolls that came with the latest fashions and WERE NOT for children to play with.

I miss the way the odors from the pig rendering plant across the river would drift up the hill in the summer and would quite stifle out the smells from Mr. Cotton's Sheep Dipping over in the 'Bottoms'.

I miss being able to furnish an entire 6 bedroom home for less than $100.00 including 2 cast iron stoves.

I miss not having to worry about how to accessorize my pets because nice people do not dress up their animals like people.

I miss seeing little 9 yr old boys running about dressed like ridiculous goofs in wool suits and knickers in the middle of summer.

Dear lord...I MISS SOAP MAKING!!!!!!!!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When candle dippin' meant...dipping cords into melted wax to make candles.

When pullin' taffy meant...stretching a heated concoction of sugar, corn starch, and flavoring into candy.

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I miss my fifth birthday.