I have a remodeling issue--need help!

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just pulled off some really cheap metal tiles that were supposed to pass for ceramic tiles, once upon a time. They were applied with some sort of mastic, and in order for me to fix the wall, I have to chip off all the 1/4 inch mastic. (I"m going to texture the wall after this hellish stuff is gone.)

Right now I'm using a paint scraper or a blade, but it's such slow going. I'm finding I wish there were such a thing as a mini-jackhammer.

Do any of you have any ideas on what could make this job go faster? Is there a solvent, perhaps? Given that I had surgery on my left hand less than three weeks ago, the scraping thing is really not going too well.

Boy, I'm surely hoping you guys have some ideas! Oh, you have some good ideas and suggestions, right? The real stuff not like, "Yeah, find another bathroom." Or "Tear down the whole wall and start over." Because those arent options, at the moment.

Thanks for any suggestions you've got!

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Replacing drywall isn't the worse thing in the world to do - I'm having to repair a section of my living room ceiling (4X12). It's not easy, but not impossible either (unless you really aren't all that handy/or you're not comfortable doing that kind of work).

Good luck!

Shwebb

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, MI, for all the suggestions. It's just such a small space. And only the bottom part of the wall, so I'd hate to have to replace the drywall. I"ve been doing the mini-prybar and hammer, but some of this stuff is brittle, and the other stuff is like really stiff taffy.

Hmm. I wonder what a wire drill attachment would do. That might be something worth looking into, Wildman! I shall take myself to the hardware store on the morrow and look into that one.

Thanks!

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, MI, for all the suggestions. It's just such a small space. And only the bottom part of the wall, so I'd hate to have to replace the drywall. I"ve been doing the mini-prybar and hammer, but some of this stuff is brittle, and the other stuff is like really stiff taffy.

Hmm. I wonder what a wire drill attachment would do. That might be something worth looking into, Wildman! I shall take myself to the hardware store on the morrow and look into that one.

Thanks!

You wouldn't have to replace the entire wall - you could just cut out the section that needs to be replaced/repaired, making sure your seams end on studs. Cut the new drywall piece to fit, put it in place and nail it in using drywall nails. Spackle and drywall tape up the seams and all the nailholes. Wait for it to dry, and put on another layer of spackle (with each layer being just a bit wider than the last). 2-3 layers would probably be enough. Sand down the spackle with a proper sander so that the seams are flush and smooth. Wipe it all down with a lightly damp rag to get the spackle dust off the wall. Prime. Paint. Good as new...maybe even better. (unless you're really bad at spackling/drywalling).

Regardless of what you do, good luck with your project. Also, keep in mind that no matter what you want to do there are two things that typically happen with all home improvement projects.
1) They always take longer than you think they will to finish.
2) They always cost more than you think it will when you start.

:)

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
You might try some high powered mastic remover. It may soften the glue enough that it can be scraped off with much less man power. Also, I would consider trying a commercial grade heat gun (you can rent one from your local hardware store).

You could also consider tiling over the area after you get the "fake" stuff removed, then it wouldn't need to be perfectly smooth.

Take a sample of the tile with the glue attached to the hardware store with you. They may be kind & try a couple of things in-store to see if they will remove the gunk.

Judy

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Ick.
When I worked as a merchandiser, I used the strangest stuff to take off the stickie residue left behind on metal beams from the price stickers. It was an aerosol can of citrus air freshener. I discovered later than many aerosols were good solvents. You might just try a little spurt of hairspray or air freshener to loosen the bond, then pop it off with a putty knife or something-might not work, but it's worth a try.
good luck!

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Take a sample of the tile with the glue attached to the hardware store with you. They may be kind & try a couple of things in-store to see if they will remove the gunk.

Yeah. I like that idea better. I was gonna say, 'send it to me' and I'll do some experiments.

Yeah. I like PHD's idea better. :D

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
for sticky/gluey stuff i normally use Lacquer/Varnish Remover -- a strong solvent... if you can take the odor!!

it softens the stuff in a few minutes, then you can scrape it off easily.

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've used WD40 on sticker glue. It might be worth a try.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Regardless of what you do, good luck with your project. Also, keep in mind that no matter what you want to do there are two things that typically happen with all home improvement projects.
1) They always take longer than you think they will to finish.
2) They always cost more than you think it will when you start.

:)

There's a third thing to keep in mind, too, as you get older:

3) It always ends up hurting worse than it used to by the time it's done.

Shwebb

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I wish this stuff had stuck to the tiles! Unfortunately, it all stuck to the wall.

Judy, a heat gun just might work for some of this stuff! And I think we have one around here.

MI, I really don't want to replace the drywall, here. I'd have to pull the toilet twice. We need the bathroom while I'm doing all this. (Not to mention I've done my share of taping and mudding and I'm horrible at it!)

Thanks, you guys. I'll let you know what works.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I pulled up some floor tile that I'd put down years ago, and in order to re-tile I had to get up all that nasty mastic. What I ended up doing was using a wide metal scraper with a wooden handle, and a hammer.

Position the metal scraper at an angle against the mastic (that had turned to cement) and hit it with the hammer (as opposed to scraping and slamming into it using just my hand). You have to be pretty good with a hammer so as not to slam your other hand, but it did the trick in half the time.

Good luck !

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
there is such a thing as a hammer drill -- you can prolly rent one at your local rental thingy place but as muse said,...hammer+chisel -- giddy up

Shwebb

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DingDingDing!

The heat gun wins! :partyguy: Thanks, Judy!

I've been chiseling it with a hammer, but it was slow going. And it wasn't working with the mastic that was still a bit gooey. The mastic, BTW, is about 1/4 inch thick or more, in some places.

I have a hammer drill, but I didn't think that would work because of the spinning action to it. The heat gun works great, though! I can do it for about 10 minutes at a time before I have to put it down for a break--the bathroom is small, and it heats up fast. Not to mention the workout my arms are getting with it.

I should have the mastic off by the end of the day, I hope. And then I'll start putting a skim coat of joint compound on the whole wall. I'm going with a textured look to hide my inability to create a smooth wall.

You guys rock, you know that?

:Clap:

MM, I have the same problem in my kitchen, but with carpet adhesive. I'm hoping the heat gun works on that, too. Because I've already tried chiseling at the glue/backing combo, and ugh. But that will have to be for another day.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Just be careful and don't burn the house down! :)

A neighbor once used some sort of heat gun to strip off some exterior paint....it worked really well, but after a while, that side of his house caught on fire.

But....he did get the paint off.

Good luck with your project! :)

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eeek! Yes, don't cause a fire - but I bet you the heat gun would work well on the carpet glue. I was lucky, my carpet wasn't glued down (and I paid the wood floor installer guy to pull it up anyway) :D

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
DingDingDing!

I should have the mastic off by the end of the day, I hope. And then I'll start putting a skim coat of joint compound on the whole wall. I'm going with a textured look to hide my inability to create a smooth wall.

how did it go?

Shwebb

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for reminding me to check back with y'all!

The house is (fortunately or unfortunately, depending on my mood) still intact. It's just been a hectic week; my oldest started kindergarten this week, and I've been doing some organizing for a yard sale, and I've also been getting some spring cleaning done. Whadya mean, it isn't spring, anymore! Okay, I'm that behind.

Anyhoo, I have all the mastic peeled off except for the stuff behind the toilet tank. I finished that up this evening. Except for a few burns on my hands, I escaped unscathed. As opposed to when I was chipping, I was constantly raking my knuckles. Looked like my hands had been on the losing end of a prizefight.

I'll post some pictures of the bathroom when I'm done with it.