OMG... I figured out how we can do this. OUT-PA PA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Why the hell hasn't anyone thought of this before?

Ok, here's the scam, er, plan.

Ok, we have to find two people who have their books ready to publish. Then each person creates a publishing imprint ("Joe's Publishing" and "Nancy Jones Press" etc). Then, each person queries the other, who then accepts for publication each other's work.

Now, person A agrees to pay an advance of EXACTLY how much it would cost person B to self-publish person A's book. At the same time, person B agrees to pay an advance of exactly how much it would cost person A to self-publish person Bs book!

NOW... Both sides publish each other's book, and you BOTH can look people in the eye and say truthfully "I did not vanity press this book. It was bought by a publisher, and I was paid a fair sum for it!"

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Why, that's so crazy - it might just work!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
No, here's where the evil genius plan comes in.

I set up a publising company. Absolute Press Extraordinaire (Simone, Heliotrope, Icarus, Tactarus) or some such.

I then recruit both *investors* and *authors.*

The thing is.. each author is an investor in another person's book.

So in essence, I create a middle-man venture to help drive the scam, and add legitimacy, since there will be multiple books published in this way.

And again, everyone who gets published this way can say with 100% honesty that they were not vanity pressed, or self-published. They submitted a work to a publishing company. That company bought and published the book, and the author was paid for it, and will continue to get royalties on sales.

THAT'S evil genius.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Genius! I'm in. I suggest calling it Tantalus.

After the character in Greek mythology. He was punished by the gods by having his desires remain just out of reach at all times, yet very, very close.

Last edited:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Ooh, that's who I meant for the T in the publisher's name anyway. Nice!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
This is reminding me way too much of the Chocolate and Peanut Butter fiasco. Though, in truth...how much of a fiasco was it? Really? Sure, some high falooting accident caused the calamity of the one person getting chocolate in the other person's peanut butter. But I do believe it's been love ever since? I could be wrong. Am I imagining things? Is the above scenario anything like the chocolate in the peanut butter fiasco?

On another note: Who put the lime in the coconut?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
and drank it all up.

This scheme is just crazy enough to make us all rich.

Muaahahahaha!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Shut up, Soccer Mom, and send me your book already!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Only if you're ready to "invest"

Dear super new publisher,

I've written a magnificent work of staggering heartbreak. It's a real coming- of -age saga, but with a literary twist. The characters are all mute and there is no dialogue. It's all real internal angsty stuff. For your reading pleasure, I submit my 733,000 word manifesto: MY MOTHER WAS RIGHT ABOUT YOU.

Okay, send me your opus and my contract.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Dear awesome publisher,

great american novel encolsoed

kthxbai4urtime,

genius

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Dear potential investor/author.

We may be some dumb... but we ain't plumb dumb. Here's a link to our sister venture. Perhaps they can find a place for your epic.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Except you'd really need to have about 100 people total (10 different publishing companies which would publish 10 authors each) so that it wouldn't be immediately obvious to the casual observer that they'd been involved in what amounts to a co-op publishing venture.

At that point, you may just as well self-publish yourself, because the logistics would be a nightmare.
Why the hell hasn't anyone thought of this before?

Ok, here's the scam, er, plan.

Ok, we have to find two people who have their books ready to publish. Then each person creates a publishing imprint ("Joe's Publishing" and "Nancy Jones Press" etc). Then, each person queries the other, who then accepts for publication each other's work.

Now, person A agrees to pay an advance of EXACTLY how much it would cost person B to self-publish person A's book. At the same time, person B agrees to pay an advance of exactly how much it would cost person A to self-publish person Bs book!

NOW... Both sides publish each other's book, and you BOTH can look people in the eye and say truthfully "I did not vanity press this book. It was bought by a publisher, and I was paid a fair sum for it!"

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
OK, sounds like a great plan. And I'll be happy to sign on to handle marketing/advertising the booklist... for a small by not insignificant fee.

(Hey look! I can write really large numbers in a reaally small font)

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
Way cool this is awesome. It is so crazy that it really might work. Do we AW discounts?

Kevvers

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Except you'd really need to have about 100 people total (10 different publishing companies which would publish 10 authors each) so that it wouldn't be immediately obvious to the casual observer that they'd been involved in what amounts to a co-op publishing venture.

At that point, you may just as well self-publish yourself, because the logistics would be a nightmare.

Not at all. You just hire a good manager. Someone who can deal with finances and tax laws.

I'll forward my resume.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What about our return policy? Can we send them back to each other if they don't sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.