• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Emma Sweeney Agency

Creole Lady

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Emma Sweeney way back on 10/25/11 and still noresponse. I guess she's just not interested. LOL

flygal716

Jump in the way of good luck
Registered
Reaction score
Any mystery writers here query Emma Sweeney? The QueryTracker page lists mysteries and thrillers/suspense as genres of interest, but her website doesn't reflect this.

Laura Droege

Registered
Reaction score
Bumping up the thread. Any recent experiences? I'm about to query her for my novel.

Flygal--I looked on QT, and under the genre report, about 30 people had queried mysteries to her. No positive replies, though. But that might just be that their query letters weren't strong enough to grab her interest. I know that's not much help. Sorry!

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone queried Emma Sweeney recently? I sent a query for my historical fiction this evening. Will post back when I have a response.
Bryan

mrgilbert2010

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone worked with Kira Watson at the Emma Sweeney Agency? She just requested my manuscript, but I can't find information about her anywhere. Is she a new agent? An assistant? Thanks in advance for any information.

mrgilbert2010

Registered
Reaction score
stormie: Thanks for the reply. I queried Emma Sweeney, but Kira wrote back and asked for the full manuscript. She's not on the website or on Agent Query or Query Tracker. I've considered the possibility that she's new or an assistant. I hadn't thought about her being a summer intern.

nadja1972

on submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrisandberg.com
She's probably an assistant because Noah Ballard (the previous assistant/junior agent at the agency) just left for Curtis Brown.

shellsnyc

Registered
Reaction score
Kira At Emma Sweeney

Did anyone here back from Kira at Emma Sweeney? She requested a full from me, and I sent her one mid June. I received no email stating she got it, and haven't heard from her since. Just wondering what everyone else's response times are/if they heard from her. Thanks so much guys!

shellsnyc

Registered
Reaction score
Kira at Emma Sweeney

Oh dear, Verlin, there goes all my hope:) did you email Kira or someone else? Or do a follow up? Ugh. That sucks

Verlin

Coattail Karma guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.verlindarrow.com
I sent it addressed to her and although someone else initially screened it (Noah?), she wrote back and requested a full. But here the plot thickened. She asked me to send it to her personal email, but I hit reply, which was the submission address. Then I noticed this a month later and sent an email letting them know what had happened. No reply. Then quite a bit of time went by -- something like 3 months -- and I sent a nudge to check in. Nada. Now it's been more nada.

So in my case it's possible she decided to write me off because I didn't follow directions or my clarifying email later came off as neurotic. I don't know. Perhaps she still has it in her queue.

In an odd twist, I sent a query to Noah Ballard at his new home -- Curtis Brown. In the last 2 weeks, he requested the full, read it, and rejected me with helpful feedback. (I figured that he had probably liked it back at Ms. Sweeney's.) Anyway, he was very personable and responsive.

I have no experience of Kira.

Good luck.

mrgilbert2010

Registered
Reaction score
Emma Sweeney has recently updated her website. Kira Watson is a junior at Hunter College.

AlexHale

Registered
Reaction score
Queried this agency today and received a request for a full today. Best of luck to everyone who has fulls out with them! Hopefully we'll all hear back at some point.

shellsnyc

Registered
Reaction score
Kira at Emma Sweeney

Thanks for all the information!
Congratulations, on the request for full. I'll be curious if anyone with a full ever hears back from them, especially if it is from Kira.
Good LUCK!

shellsnyc

Registered
Reaction score
Kira at Emma Sweeney

mrgilbert-did you ever hear back from Kira? In regards to your full request? Just curious...
Thanks so much everyone for all the information!

mrgilbert2010

Registered
Reaction score
shellsnyc: Not yet. She's had it for four months. When she asked for the manuscript, she said they'd get back to me in around five weeks.

shellsnyc

Registered
Reaction score
kira at emma sweeney

thanks for the info mrgilbert. four months. wow. that does not sound good. but, i guess you could still be hopeful?
although, now i'm really thinking i will definitely NOT hold my breath.

shellsnyc

Registered
Reaction score
heard back from them today, with a quick, "pass." so hopefully those that haven't heard will, do remain hopeful, despite my rejection;)

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Any updates on this agency and has anybody had any recent interactions? I was having trouble seeing what genres Ms. Sweeney reps from her website.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Take it for what it's worth, not coming from her website or an interview, but here's what's listed on QueryTracker:

Fiction:
Historical
Mystery
Thrillers/Suspense
Women's Fiction

Non-Fiction:

Biography
Business/Finance
Current Affairs/Politics
Food/Lifestyle
Gardening
History
Memoirs
Nature/Ecology
Religion/Spirituality

auroraborealis

Registered
Reaction score
I queried ESA on Sunday (the 7th) and Kira asked for my full today. I'll keep you guys posted.

nadja1972

on submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrisandberg.com
It looks like some folks have been left hanging, so I'll share my experience:

Query + first chapter sent 3/22
Full request from assistant Kira 3/23
Rejection from Kira 4/5, personalized but confusing because her feedback was contrary to that of all my other readers so far.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
From PM:

At the Emma Sweeney Agency, Kira Watson has been promoted to agent and rights manager. Watson will focus on building her young adult, middle grade, and picture book list.