• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Russell & Volkening

westcoast

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've gotten an offer from Jesseca Salky at Russell & Volkening, but haven't been able to find out too much about them online. (It seems like a lot of good agents have gotten their start @ Russell & Volkening, though...)

Does anybody have any personal experience with Salky or the agency itself? Is she / are they reputable? Any help would be appreciated!

Grazie,
Westcoast

j.s.cutler

Registered
Reaction score
They had enough sense to reject me. :) Congrats

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sold Hope's Boy and Beyond Simple Justice, listed in PM in nice, very nice deals, I believe and was all I could find, Salky that is.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
This agency is supposedly one of the oldest literary agencies, yet the P&E page lacks a "$" next to the agency name.

That's an omission on Dave's end--he's awesome, but he can't be everywhere, after all.

They do, indeed, sell books by living authors--Anne Tyler's and Jim Lehrer's among them--and they represent Eudora Welty's and Bernard Malamud's literary estates, among others.

finewritingfinewine

Registered
Reaction score
She turned me down very graciously as well. She's supposedly really great. Made the list of "21 agents to know" from Poets and Writers article a few months back. Congrats!

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
42 day request via SASE for first 50 - 75 pages.

i had queried carrie hannigan but got the
request from a joy azmitia--who said carrie
isn't taking on any new clients.

i can't find an email for her, so not sure how
to let her know i've found representation.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
oh gosh, i'm way too lazy to do that, ice cream.

there is a phone number, i could def call. =)

Busy Writer Bee

Registered
Reaction score
Legit firm

It's a legit firm. They are very, very old and represent great literary stars, even though most of them are dead. You'll be on an impressive list indeed.

andynelson

Registered
Reaction score
anyone heard from Josh Getzler since he's arrived at Russell & Volkening?

bclement412

Registered
Reaction score

Nope. I queried him at the R&V address on November 16th, the first day he was receiving queries at his new agency, but haven't heard anything back.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He's still moving boxes, but he's up and running. Updated PM page here.

PLEASE NOTE: If you sent me a query at Writers House, or if I am evaluating a partial or full manuscript of yours, please bear with me. I have taken my queries with me, but am somewhat backed up with the move, and it's taking me longer than I like to respond. But I haven't forgotten, and will respond as soon as possible.

I'm guessing the same goes for new queries, too.

GB

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
I sent Josh Getzler a requested partial (he requested it at a writers conference last weekend) on Wednesday, and got a prompt note thanking me and saying he was looking forward to reading it. No response other than that, but I did see a note from him on CrimeSpace yesterday saying he's had 150 queries so far this week.

Dawnny Baby

Getting back up again
Registered
Reaction score
I sent Josh Getzler a requested partial (he requested it at a writers conference last weekend) on Wednesday, and got a prompt note thanking me and saying he was looking forward to reading it. No response other than that, but I did see a note from him on CrimeSpace yesterday saying he's had 150 queries so far this week.
Don't worry, jeseymour, it took Josh 6 weeks to read my partial, and that was BEFORE his move. (He now has my full.)

No quick response from Josh =/= automatic rejection. :)

M von Uppity

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there - Question about this agency (if you don't mind it here): I'd like to query Ms. Azmitia, but I have one source from the agency that says it only accepts snail mail queries. However, their own webpage it does not say that, provides emails for the agents listed and one agent specifically says "email queries only".

OK, so, can I assume that Ms. Azmitia accepts email queries or not? Should I email and ask her or will that just be annoying to her?

Thanks.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The website's brand new and pretty rudimentary. Josh Getzler prefers email queries, but I'd go snail for the others unless you find it stated somewhere that they're accepting email, too.

It's not terribly uncommon for an agency to keep a general policy, even as specific agents move on from it (ICM, WM, etc.).

M von Uppity

Registered
Reaction score
Boo. I was hoping that a listed email carried more promise. Thanks for your advice, GB!

megoblocks

Banned
Reaction score

I got a referral to him from Janet Reid in December. Sent him a query + 5 pages earlier this week and heard back the same day requesting a partial.

andynelson

Registered
Reaction score
Odd. He's had my materials for almost eight months and never got back to me.