Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Job listing] Guru.com

[Job listing] Guru.com

Anyone have experience with guru.com? It's a job board, basically, and they submit invoices for you and you can use an "escrow account." I read the website in great detail, and the fact that there was SO MUCH detail gave me hope that they may be legit...but once I signed up for the free "basic" account, I was soon aware that without the $75-for-three-months "guru" level account, I was eligible to bid on exactly 1 out of the 632 jobs in the writer/editor/translator category, and that job was clearly... well, let's just say I assessed it as "nutty."

Then I googled "guru.com review" and the top one was rateitall and nearly 20 posters, employers and employees alike, slammed guru as a scam. Have you tried it? How'd it work for you? I'm steering clear for now.
    I'm proud to be part of Dawno's Invisible Circle.
    ... When he left for Iraq I reminded him that there was this huge invisible circle of people, some I don't even really know, that see his picture and send their good thoughts, prayers and support his way. He was very moved by it and I know it's one of the things he relies on when he's down or afraid. ~Dawno
    At least pay attention. We owe it to our troops.

There's not enough granularity in the categories to make any sense of jobs. All the engineering freelance is for designing and making parts for other people's crappy "inventions."

I never signed up for it.
    "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

practical experience, FTW LloydBrown's Avatar
    I tried guru on and off for about 2 years. I actually went to the job stage with one vendor, and he flaked out.

Most of the jobs go to people working for a tiny fraction of a realistic rate. Business plans, which I write, might go for $100. I charge $800 and up for them. Even though I was willing to take a small cut to get some referrals, I refused to drop my normal rate 87.5% just to get a job.
    Lloyd Brown
    www.lloydwrites.com

practical experience, FTW
    I ghosted a book for a client who hired the illustrator through Guru. It worked out fine for both parties as far as I know. I'm signed up on Guru and have received some announcements for tech writing work, but none of them interested me. Yes, there are some "employers" who want to get services way too cheap.