Dust Storm

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Long-time (former) Arizona resident here with much dust-storm experience.

Get out the sprinkler or the hose's sprinkling attachment and clean the dust off the newly-planted trees' leaves soon after every dust storm. Make sure you give the trees a deep watering, to develop strong root systems, preferably early in the day or in the evening. Mulch (wood and bark, not those shredded tires) a six-foot-diameter ring around the tree to a depth of 4 inches, leaving the foot closest to the trunk bare; this helps conserve the water the roots need, minimizing evaporation, while discouraging rot of the trunk. Consider staking the young tree if you haven't yet.

Maryn, whose family's yard had the only big trees in the neighborhood

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Actually, between ASU and UofA there are a ton of writers going to school. My favorite professor at ASU was a previous judge for some big award program.

A former ASU professor is also a NYT bestselling author (Diana Gabaldon). She wrote her first 2 or 3 novels while teaching there.

I miss AZ. Lived there for 7 years before moving back east. Don't miss the dust storms and dust devils, but I do miss the 300 days + pure sunshine.

The heat seems to have migrated this way, as Nashville weather is bouncing up to 105 degrees with regular frequency this month. And 105 here is like 120 in AZ.

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with your mesquite trees. I tried it in Oregon. Everybody said you can't transplant mesquite. Looked great for a few weeks, but that was just because it was so tough. No roots. Danger Jane is right.
I'm not far from you, down here in the hot corner of California. Hey, water came out of the sky yesterday! Have you ever seen that? Amazing!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. I lived in Lubbock for five years. I discovered that I"m NOT a desert kind of gal.

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
but I do miss the 300 days + pure sunshine.

Yeah, when it rains we watch it like the rare snow we used to watch in Virginia.

The heat seems to have migrated this way, as Nashville weather is bouncing up to 105 degrees with regular frequency this month. And 105 here is like 120 in AZ.

If it makes you feel better, it was about 120 here today, so I hear.

Nashville, We spent some time in Franklin just an hour north of there. In fact I lived there for a while in the early 70s (with an uncle who is still there). I really liked the 5 minute noon showers everyday in the summers. Seamed like it was on a timer. Weird.