• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Worley Shoemaker Literary Management (Jo-Lynne Worley)

Dude in Hammock

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I've had an agent recommended to me by a friend of a friend, and after a positive response to my query, she's requested a proposal and sample chapters. I'm awaiting her response now. I'd read on another site that it was bad form to have proposals out to more than one agent at a time (non-fiction), but from what I've seen here, that's not really the case. In any event, she's the only agent with my proposal at this point. Problem is, she doesn't have a web site, is located in the mid-west (Kansas City), and she doesn't come up on any of the agent search engines I've tried (including AgentQuery). My friend's friend is very happy with her, and I know she represents Susie Bright as well, but that's all I know about her. Does anyone know anything about this agency?

Jo-Lynn Worley at Worley Shoemaker, LLC.

Thanks. As you can tell, I'm new at this and don't want to waste any more time than necessary on the agent search.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
A websearch on the agency turns up a few sales to solid publishers--though not enough to make it really feasible to evaluate the agency's track record--as well as a number of references to Worley Shoemaker as a "management" company. If you get an offer from this agent, I'd ask for a list of recent sales--say, within the past year--so you can be sure that she's actually selling stuff on a regular basis, and has experience selling books like yours.

- Victoria

sgunelius

10 Books & Counting
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.keysplashcreative.com
Whatever you do, don't wait around to hear from this agent. Make sure you send it to multiple agents or you could be waiting around until you're old and gray to sell your book. The best advice I got from these boards was to send your queries out in waves (about 10 at a time). Wait for some responses, which may contain some feedback. Revise your query and send your next batch. Good luck!

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Dude. It's usually not a very good sign when you can't find them anywhere. I looked on other agent sites and can not find them either. I also can not find them in the Literary Agents Guide. I would submit to other agents. Agent Query has great agents listed. Also, Publisher Marketplace and Preditors and Editors give you background on agents. Even if they are legit - they must not have any sales records or no doubt you'd be able to find them somewhere. At least on google! Doesn't sound good to me at all. P&E lists most all agents - if they aren't even there - I would run. No agent is better than a bad agent.

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Here's a mention, on Harriet Lerner's website.
"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For any non-appearance related questions or comments please contact Dr. Harriet Lerner’s literary agent and business/personal manager, Jo-Lynne Worley. You can reach Jo-Lynne at Worley Shoemaker Management (816) 444-9996 or email [email protected]."

From the Simon & Schuster website, Susie Bright thanks her:
"
[/FONT]My managers, Joanie Shoemaker and Jo-Lynne Worley (favorite stories: "Horse Heaven" and "Quiet Please"), are always the first to report that BAE is selling at a new small bookstore in a town ordinarily known for selling more Bibles than erotica. They've negotiated with six different editors and two publishers since the series began, and they've taken BAE to places as far-flung as Beijing (where I hear I have quite a following if I ever want to make an appearance). Their experience in every facet of publishing and the entertainment business has meant all the difference in how my editorial work has developed -- and their loyalty and insight have kept me going through every political and artistic hurdle."
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Another, from Henry Holt's children's booklist:
[/FONT]MY TRAVELIN’ EYE by Jenny Sue Kostecki-Shaw
Editor: Christy Ottaviano
April 2008; 0-8050-8169-0; $16.95/$21.00; 9 x 11; 40 pp.; Ages 4-7
Jenny Sue’s eyes are different from other people’s eyes. Her right eye looks in one direction, while her left eye sometimes wanders. Jenny Sue has a travelin’ eye—often known as a “lazy” eye. Although it makes her different, it also helps her see the world in a special way. Here is a charming story about one very inspiring little girl.
JENNY SUE KOSTECKI-SHAW is a freelance illustrator who studied at the Kansas City Art Institute and The Illustration Academy. She lives in the mountains of Northern New Mexico with her husband, Patrick, and their dog, Oso. This is her first picture book.
Holt: First Serial, Second Serial, Book Club, Reprint, British, Translation
Territory: World
Agent: Worley Shoemaker Management (816) 444-999

According to this list, Ms. Worley donated $500 to John Kerry's campaign, and more to the agenting point, is/was in partnership with Holly Near and Redwood Records. Is also thanked in the credits for this cd.

Worley shows up more as producer for cds than anything else.
-Barbara

Dude in Hammock

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, one and all. She seems very nice and has offered representation, but has also been pretty lax about doing what she's said she would: "I'll get back to you on that tomorrow" and a week later, still no word.

In any case, I took advice I found here and sent out more queries, and now have half a dozen proposals out to big NYC agencies, and two offers from well-known agents there. So I think I'll pass on the Kansas connection.

In any case, thanks for helping with this.

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Query sent

Sent a query to this agency today. Will post again with their response time and decision/feedback.
Bryan

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Sent a query to this agency today. Will post again with their response time and decision/feedback.
Bryan

Well, that was a quick response. Rejection in less than 24 hours. It wasn't a form letter either, but a personal response saying that they are not taking on new authors at this time.
Bryan