• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Beaufort Books

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
In a blog post, somebody described Beaufort Books (the publisher that will be handling "If I Did It" for the Goldmans) as "a vanity press type publisher..."

Is that accurate? I checked their site, and they seem to have "real" submission guidelines that ask for query letters, sample chapters, etc. On the other hand, on the About Beaufort page, they say, "Today, Beaufort offers an intriguing alternative to the traditional publishing model. We guide the publishing process, share in the risk, and offer the expertise and experience that are necessary to make any book a success. We work with you to find ways to reach your audience."

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Hm. It was on the headline news on my Internet, and then it disappeared; can't find it anywhere. Apparently he has an agent who got him the deal, but I can't remember the name.

Frankly, I hope it flops. I'm not arguing about whether he did it or not. I simply feel the book is in such incredibly bad taste, the acceptance of it is a blow to publishing.

Too bad he didn't go with PA...

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
When it started up in 2005, Beaufort was a "joint venture" publisher associated with distributor Midpoint Trade Books. Supposedly, the author paid part of the publication cost, and Beaufort kicked in the rest. I don't know if it still functions that way--there's nothing to indicate author payments on the website. The phrases "intriguing alternative" and "share in the risk" (from Beaufort's About page) make me think that author payments may still be the norm--though not, I'm sure, for the Goldmans.

Given its staff's experience, and the association with Midpoint, I would guess that Beaufort probably does honor the "joint" in joint venture (unlike so many so-called joint venture publishers, which only pretend to contribute something of value to the relationship). However, it's deceptive not to make it clear on the website that authors have to pay.

- Victoria

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Frankly, I hope it flops. I'm not arguing about whether he did it or not. I simply feel the book is in such incredibly bad taste, the acceptance of it is a blow to publishing.
I can't imagine it not flopping, even they had gone through a publisher with great distribution. What are they gonig to get from this publisher? Oh, well, it's what the book deserves.

Edited to add: He has an agent?! :Wha: What kind of agent made this deal? :tongue

Too bad he didn't go with PA...
Snort :)

Given its staff's experience, and the association with Midpoint, I would guess that Beaufort probably does honor the "joint" in joint venture (unlike so many so-called joint venture publishers, which only pretend to contribute something of value to the relationship). However, it's deceptive not to make it clear on the website that authors have to pay.
Thanks. That phrasing on the About page did look odd when compared with the guidelines, which made them seem like a ... well, like a normal publisher. :)

Last edited:

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Sharlene Martin

Sharlene Martin is the agent who landed the deal. Sharlene Martin is a respected West Coast agent, though she must have had a lot of trouble placing the book to settle for something like this. Seems to me that none of the legit houses wanted to touch it with a nine-hundred-foot pole after what happened in the ReganBooks debacle and public backlash.

I also hope it flops. There are better ways for the Goldmans to seek justice than to stoop to this sleaze.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sharlene Martin is the agent who landed the deal. Sharlene Martin is a respected West Coast agent, though she must have had a lot of trouble placing the book to settle for something like this. Seems to me that none of the legit houses wanted to touch it with a nine-hundred-foot pole after what happened in the ReganBooks debacle and public backlash.
Ah. That explains it.

I also hope it flops. There are better ways for the Goldmans to seek justice than to stoop to this sleaze.
According to what I read on the CrimeRant blog, Nicole Brown objects to the book. (Remember when the Goldmans and Browns used to get along?) However, the same entry said that the book will include notes from some of the Brown family members.

AustinCBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
walkingwiththemailman.com
So is Beaufort Books a legit publisher?

I've picked up bits of information here and there that they are a vanity press (author pays money). But I can't nail it down for certain.

Can anyone help clarify the matter?

Thanks,

Austin

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.beaufortbooks.com/

Beaufort Books site said:
Beaufort Books is an innovative publisher of non-fiction and fiction. Based in New York City, it was named one of the fastest growing independent publishers of 2007 by Publishers Weekly.

We believe in the dynamic value of partnering. Beaufort has designed a model that involves the author in all aspects of the publishing process, and draws on the professional experience of the Beaufort team every step of the way.

Beaufort’s books are distributed by Midpoint Trade Books, one of the largest distributors in the industry, with over 250 independent presses in the United States, Canada, England, Scotland, Australia, and Ireland.

Seems like they only want non-fiction. And they have nice covers.