AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Beaufort Books

Beaufort Books

In a blog post, somebody described Beaufort Books (the publisher that will be handling "If I Did It" for the Goldmans) as "a vanity press type publisher..."

Is that accurate? I checked their site, and they seem to have "real" submission guidelines that ask for query letters, sample chapters, etc. On the other hand, on the About Beaufort page, they say, "Today, Beaufort offers an intriguing alternative to the traditional publishing model. We guide the publishing process, share in the risk, and offer the expertise and experience that are necessary to make any book a success. We work with you to find ways to reach your audience."
    THE Official FreakTM
    That's not me in my avatar. That's Papa Emeritus II and the Nameless Ghouls of Ghost
    -- AARlist2, my romance reader discussion group
    Dubbed "Cool Thread Starter Girl" by JeanneTGC

someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
    oooh that has lots of red flag phrases innit, doesn't it

practical experience, FTW BarbJ's Avatar
    Hm. It was on the headline news on my Internet, and then it disappeared; can't find it anywhere. Apparently he has an agent who got him the deal, but I can't remember the name.

Frankly, I hope it flops. I'm not arguing about whether he did it or not. I simply feel the book is in such incredibly bad taste, the acceptance of it is a blow to publishing.

Too bad he didn't go with PA...

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    When it started up in 2005, Beaufort was a "joint venture" publisher associated with distributor Midpoint Trade Books. Supposedly, the author paid part of the publication cost, and Beaufort kicked in the rest. I don't know if it still functions that way--there's nothing to indicate author payments on the website. The phrases "intriguing alternative" and "share in the risk" (from Beaufort's About page) make me think that author payments may still be the norm--though not, I'm sure, for the Goldmans.

Given its staff's experience, and the association with Midpoint, I would guess that Beaufort probably does honor the "joint" in joint venture (unlike so many so-called joint venture publishers, which only pretend to contribute something of value to the relationship). However, it's deceptive not to make it clear on the website that authors have to pay.

- Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
    Frankly, I hope it flops. I'm not arguing about whether he did it or not. I simply feel the book is in such incredibly bad taste, the acceptance of it is a blow to publishing.
    I can't imagine it not flopping, even they had gone through a publisher with great distribution. What are they gonig to get from this publisher? Oh, well, it's what the book deserves.

Edited to add: He has an agent?! What kind of agent made this deal?

Quote Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
    Too bad he didn't go with PA...
    Snort

Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
    Given its staff's experience, and the association with Midpoint, I would guess that Beaufort probably does honor the "joint" in joint venture (unlike so many so-called joint venture publishers, which only pretend to contribute something of value to the relationship). However, it's deceptive not to make it clear on the website that authors have to pay.
    Thanks. That phrasing on the About page did look odd when compared with the guidelines, which made them seem like a ... well, like a normal publisher.
    Last edited by AnneMarble; 08-16-2007 at 12:02 AM.
    THE Official FreakTM
    That's not me in my avatar. That's Papa Emeritus II and the Nameless Ghouls of Ghost

Sharlene Martin

Sharlene Martin is the agent who landed the deal. Sharlene Martin is a respected West Coast agent, though she must have had a lot of trouble placing the book to settle for something like this. Seems to me that none of the legit houses wanted to touch it with a nine-hundred-foot pole after what happened in the ReganBooks debacle and public backlash.

I also hope it flops. There are better ways for the Goldmans to seek justice than to stoop to this sleaze.
    www.jamaicalayne.com, http://jamaicalayne.blogspot.com
    www.ravenousromance.com

MARKET FOR LOVE now available; Buy it here.

[Jamaica Layne] has built a multifaceted writing career, in genres ranging from theater to erotic fiction"---Chicago Tribune

"Layne sucks you in and doesn't let go until the last page."--Love Romance Passion.com

"Once you read Jamaica Layne, she will be on your auto-buy list."----Dirty Girl Reviews, on MARKET FOR LOVE

4 Stars!----Romantic Times Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Sakamonda View Post
    Sharlene Martin is the agent who landed the deal. Sharlene Martin is a respected West Coast agent, though she must have had a lot of trouble placing the book to settle for something like this. Seems to me that none of the legit houses wanted to touch it with a nine-hundred-foot pole after what happened in the ReganBooks debacle and public backlash.
    Ah. That explains it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakamonda View Post
    I also hope it flops. There are better ways for the Goldmans to seek justice than to stoop to this sleaze.
    According to what I read on the CrimeRant blog, Nicole Brown objects to the book. (Remember when the Goldmans and Browns used to get along?) However, the same entry said that the book will include notes from some of the Brown family members.
    THE Official FreakTM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneMarble View Post
    Nicole Brown objects to the book.
    It's no wonder considering that she tried and was unsuccessful in getting a piece of the financial pie.

figuring it all out AustinCBrown's Avatar

So is Beaufort Books a legit publisher?

I've picked up bits of information here and there that they are a vanity press (author pays money). But I can't nail it down for certain.

Can anyone help clarify the matter?

Thanks,

Austin

http://www.beaufortbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufort Books site
    Beaufort Books is an innovative publisher of non-fiction and fiction. Based in New York City, it was named one of the fastest growing independent publishers of 2007 by Publishers Weekly.

We believe in the dynamic value of partnering. Beaufort has designed a model that involves the author in all aspects of the publishing process, and draws on the professional experience of the Beaufort team every step of the way.

Beaufort’s books are distributed by Midpoint Trade Books, one of the largest distributors in the industry, with over 250 independent presses in the United States, Canada, England, Scotland, Australia, and Ireland.
    Seems like they only want non-fiction. And they have nice covers.

Just the facts, please
    A 2010 article in PW describes it as a no-advance, higher-royalty publisher. No mention of authors paying anything. (http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...nce-model.html)

Authors now include Jeff Foxworthy, fwiw.