The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Denise Marcil Literary Agency / Marcil-O'Farrell Literary

Denise Marcil Literary Agency / Marcil-O'Farrell Literary

Couldn't find a thread on this agency/agent, but thought I'd pass along that although Maura rejected me, I was pleasantly surprised that the rejection was a personalized document and signed by hand. As luck would have it I was already having a bad (writing related) weekend and when I saw my sase in the mailbox, it was the worst. But I actually felt good after reading that letter.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW Hopcus's Avatar
    Has anyone worked with Chris Morehouse? Or do you know anything she has sold? I have a partial with her and any info would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopcus View Post
    Has anyone worked with Chris Morehouse? Or do you know anything she has sold? I have a partial with her and any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Excellent timing for your question. She sold something 8 days ago.

29 January, 2008
    Non-fiction: General/Other

Stan Goldberg's account of struggling with life-threatening cancer and the life-affirming lessons he's learned about forgiveness, gratitude, and love from volunteering with the dying in hospice, to Emily Bower at Shambhala, for publication in June 2008, by Chris Morehouse at Denise Marcil Literary Agency.
    Last edited by ExposingCorruption; 02-07-2008 at 10:35 AM.

practical experience, FTW Hopcus's Avatar
    Thanks for the response, that's good to know.

bedazzled /bootay shaker!! xiaotien's Avatar
    hopcus, did you ever hear back from chris?

Silver Ph0enix (Greenwi11ow: 4/09)

Fury of the Ph0enix (Greenwi11ow: 3/11)

Diverse 3nergies anthology (Tu B00ks: 10/12)

visit my website :
    paint & prose

my brush art at etsy!

Quote Originally Posted by ExposingCorruption View Post
    Excellent timing for your question. She sold something 8 days ago.

29 January, 2008
    Non-fiction: General/Other

Stan Goldberg's account of struggling with life-threatening cancer and the life-affirming lessons he's learned about forgiveness, gratitude, and love from volunteering with the dying in hospice, to Emily Bower at Shambhala, for publication in June 2008, by Chris Morehouse at Denise Marcil Literary Agency.
    That client's website is at http://stangoldbergwriter.com/

According to both QueryTracker.net and AgentQuery.com, Chris Morehouse has moved to Dunham Literary. The Dunham website says:

The Denise Marcil Literary Agency, Don Congdon Associates, and Dunham Literary have formed an alliance. Although each of these companies still remains separate, they have created an alliance to share office space and combine back office activities.
    I'm not sure I understand this.

To reduce overhead, they now share an office and some clerical staff.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 08-18-2008 at 09:30 PM. Reason: word choice
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Denise Marcil

does anyone know of recent sales by this agent? help.

practical experience, FTW Nandi's Avatar
    Golani,

This is from her entry in the 2009 Guide to Literary Agents:

Sold 43 titles in the last year. Welcome to Serenity by Sherryl Woods, The Potable Pediatrician, Super Seniors by William Sears and Peter Sears, In High Gear by Gina Wilkins, The Anti-Alzheimer's Prescription by Vincent Fortanasce.

Quote Originally Posted by Nandi View Post
    Golani,

This is from her entry in the 2009 Guide to Literary Agents:

Sold 43 titles in the last year. Welcome to Serenity by Sherryl Woods, The Potable Pediatrician, Super Seniors by William Sears and Peter Sears, In High Gear by Gina Wilkins, The Anti-Alzheimer's Prescription by Vincent Fortanasce.
    Wow, thanks for the info. 43 seems like a lot of sales -no? i had the impression she might be semi-retired.

practical experience, FTW Nandi's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure the 43 titles applies to the entire agency, Golani, not her personally.

Golani & Nandi,
    Any info on response time with Denise Marcil? She had requested my full manuscript, and has had it for about a month now. Do you know how long she takes to respond with a yes or no? Thanks!

Just a note: has/had partnered with Anne Marie O'Farrell to form the Marcil-O'Farrell Agency. Most recent sales for Denise are under the DMLA name, though.
    ICAO
    ---------

I got a reject from Mrs. O'farell 2 days later. I now queried Denise, cross fingers!