• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

T-Zero Xpandizine / The Writer's Ezine

Rye-Ting Noo-Bee

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether any of you have any experience with T-Zero/The Writer's Ezine. Duotrope says they have an average wait of 17 days for a response (max reported is 36); at the same time they say that the pending submissions have an average wait of 41 days already. I submitted to them about three weeks ago, didn't receive an acknowledgment within a week, and then sent a follow-up email (as they suggest in their guidelines). They never replied to that either. Any thoughts?

Rye-Ting

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anything about them, but different factors effect turnaround times. Five days over the max really isn't anything. If they're newer, the turnaround times will increase as word about them spreads and they receive more submissions.

Rye-Ting Noo-Bee

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Lori. I'm actually more concerned about the lack of an acknowledgment that my submission was so much as received. According to Duotrope, they typically acknowledge within 24 hours...

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on day 46 with them. I did get an acknowledgement note. On July 14th, I received another email saying they'd had computer difficulties and my story will be considered for the September issue. They do have an August issue on-line.

I understand they decide about mid-month for the next month's issue, so I expect to hear from them in the next week.

When did you send the second email to them? If they're sorting out after a computer crash, your sub and query might have been lost. Wait until the end of the month and if you still haven't heard, then assume they lost your emails.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Rye, :welcome: to the cooler. I've had signficant experience with The Writer's Ezine and it's been great. I was even their regular columnist for 6 month's last year, but I haven't received a reply on my last submission either. My article is still up there and it's from May. That's really unusual. Hope there isn't a problem there. Even on their guidelines it read, Server error. Keeping my fingers crossed they're not defunct. Love to know if anyone hears anything positive or negative. Thanks much.

Last edited:

Rye-Ting Noo-Bee

Registered
Reaction score
Hum, Susie, that is worrisome. I've just checked their web site, and I don't get a server error, but still... Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I had the exact same problem when I sent a flash piece to them last month. I didn't receive an automated reply saying it had been received, so after a week I queried as stated in their guidelines, and didn't hear back from that either. I kept an eye on Duotrope but it didn't look like anyone else was getting a response, so finally I just marked mine as withdrawn and I'm subbing it elsewhere.

Rye-Ting Noo-Bee

Registered
Reaction score
Saanen--yes, that's what I ended up doing, too. The data on Duotrope and the lack of responses to email queries suggest that something is wrong with the zine. Too bad...

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I just looked on their site and their Aug. issue is up now, so hopefully things might be back to normal, hopefully. Much good luck, guys.

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
I got email from T-zero on 8/28 saying the editor has been sick and that my story is being held over for consideration in the October issue.

Rye-Ting Noo-Bee

Registered
Reaction score
Hm. They told me they were in the midst of reorganization. Was anybody told they had an earthquake? Or a flood?

At least they still send emails. That's reason for hope.

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard nothing further from them. Their website seems to be stuck in August.

I'm about ready to write them off as a dead market.

Anybody know anything?

Rye-Ting Noo-Bee

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't heard anything new. According to Duotrope, the last response from them was reported July 16, and the users who currently have submissions with them have been waiting 108 days on average (and counting). Looks like a dead market to me too.

rjhembree

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersvillage.com
T-Zero Xpandizine will return in Jan, 2009

T-Zero Xpandizine will return in Jan, 2009.

The publications was in its tenth year when the last issue was published in August 2007.
The Editor in Chief, normally an incredibly efficient woman despite having Syringomyelia, became ill and was spending more time with doctors and in the hospital. She was the guiding force of T-Zero and an just as important to Writers' Village University, where she handled the support team. It would take ten people to replace her; she's that good.
Busy with Writers' Village, and my studio in Norfolk, I wasn't in the loop enough step in and pull it together without dropping the ball in other areas. I hadn't edited an issue since 1998. Unfortunately, I have no records or submissions to work with. I've had one person contact me about payment for a story published in the last issue. I made sure she was paid. I believe all T-Zero contributors were paid up to and including the June 2007 issue, where my available records stop (I was the only source of funding for T-Zero).

The future of T-Zero.

I've been in talks with several people about how best to get T-Zero up and running with stability again. The January issue will introduce a new format and a new design. I will lead the first issue, as I did in 1998, and hand it over to a new editor. It will become a quarterly publication in both web format and print. After the January issue, it will split into two publications: The Writers' Ezine and the T-Zero Xpandizine; the former with writing articles and advice, the later featuring fiction, poetry, music and art.

Many from Writer's Village have made donations to see this happen, this means more content, and, depending on our resources, more pay.
The first issue's content will feature graduates of our 14-month short Story MFA Program at WVU, which is near completion as I write this. They've worked very hard, and have produced some noteworthy fiction, and have advanced insights to share with others about the craft of writing. We will accept a limited number freelance submissions for the Spring issue and beyond. Part of the new strategy is to solicit works from outstanding authors and work with non-fiction writers on an assignment basis. Each issue will have theme.

If you are interested, I'd be happy to keep everyone up-to-date with our progress and needs at Absolute Write.

All my best,
Bob Hembree
Writers' Village University
writersvillage.com

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Mr. Hembree, and thank you for the update!