The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Agency] Rosenberg Group (Barbara Collins Rosenberg)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

[Agency] Rosenberg Group (Barbara Collins Rosenberg)

Anybody know of any title represented by Barbara Collins Rosenberg, or had any experience with her? She has expressed interest in my book. I've seen her website (Rosenberg Group), but it doesn't seem to list any titles sold. Please help!

This hat is getting too hot Chumplet's Avatar
    That surprised me. I queried her back in the dark ages before I knew how to research agents. She rejected me two years ago. I hadn't thought about her since.

So I had a little look around. You're right, she doesn't list any sales. Curious, I checked Preditors & Editors and found that they weren't hearing good things.

Therefore, I suggest you use a little caution and dig deeper. I'm sure there must be a thread about her elsewhere in Bewares. She's been around long enough.

She's listed in Agent Query. It shows she's a member of AAR. Still, you should check further.

Hope this helps.

Absolutely Fazed
    For index purposes, here is the Publishers Marketplace listing and their website link:

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com...osenbergGroup/
    http://www.rosenberggroup.com/

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Ms. Rosenberg has a history of sales since at least 2004, building on her experience with text books/university publishers. The most recent sale I'm finding is a "nice" three-book deal to Harlequin in Aug 2007 (Catherine Mann, for release 2008).
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 10-23-2007 at 12:39 AM. Reason: too too many words
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I'm not fond of this woman.
    Per her request, I stupidly wrote a what amounted to a "free" marketing plan for her (for "my" book). The entire query, partial, full process ate up an entire year+. She took 9 months to reject my full MS saying, "I just sold a book exactly like yours!" (I'd be curious to see which one it might be LOL. Though this was back in 2005 and I've yet to see her make a sale)
    When I asked her why she read the query, then asked for a partial with a detailed market analysis/report/strategy and then asked for a full, and took 9 months to reply, all the while knowing she (supposedly) had "something exactly like mine" on the table, she didn't reply.

It wasn't the rejection that bothered me. There was something about her that made my nose twitch.

Just curious if anyone has heard anything else about her? Her website doesn't list any clients...I can't find much of anything.

She's scheduled for pitches up here in NH-at the NH Writer's Day conference. And of course, she's the only agent coming who handles my genre...sigh...
    "You're not a schmuck. You're just sort of a schmuck."-Giant Baby 2010

"Actually, I take that back. There's no 'sort of' about it."-Giant Baby 2011

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    Ms. Rosenberg has a history of sales since at least 2004, building on her experience with text books/university publishers. The most recent sale I'm finding is a "nice" three-book deal to Harlequin in Aug 2007 (Catherine Mann, for release 2008).
    Given that Harlequin accepts unagented submissions and famously doesn't negotiate fees with new authors, it's not clear how much of a value-add she was in that particular deal.

Of course, only Ms. Mann would know, and she may well have found Ms. Rosenberg's commission more than worth it.

Yes. Exactly what I was thinking. *sighs louder*
    "You're not a schmuck. You're just sort of a schmuck."-Giant Baby 2010

"Actually, I take that back. There's no 'sort of' about it."-Giant Baby 2011

Looks like a bit of a mixed bag... yes, a member of AAR, but apart from that gets one green plus and one red cross on firstwriter (http://www.firstwriter.com/Agents/ag...rdNumber=260); one of the assessment services says they haven't made any sales, the other says they have... I guess that maybe at best they're not very successful.

Any new updated experiences with Ms. Rosenberg? I just had a request for the first three chapters of my mss plus synopsis. She rejected all seven of my other projects - whether that gives her integrity, I don't know, but it at least gives a sense of prudence to what she's seeking. As a member of AAR, I would have to believe she's got some professional integrity. I suppose I'll see...Anyone? I'd love to hear further anecdotes from AWers.

Thumbs down Latest Experience

I had a not so nice with her. Actually, I am seriously pissed about this. She offered me representation, I accepted and in the process turned down another agent and then she rescinded on the basis of tax complications in presenting a Canadian author.

Just sharing my experience. Lesson learned: Do nothing until you sign that agreement. One of those experiences that you got five minutes after your needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by HabsScribe View Post
    I had a not so nice with her. Actually, I am seriously pissed about this. She offered me representation, I accepted and in the process turned down another agent and then she rescinded on the basis of tax complications in presenting a Canadian author.

Just sharing my experience. Lesson learned: Do nothing until you sign that agreement. One of those experiences that you got five minutes after your needed it.
    Presenting should read representing