How Long Do You Have To Wait Before Hearing Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty T

Hi I was wondering if anyone could tell me roughly how long you have to wait before hearing back from a publisher. Iy your agent has submitted the material they asked for

veingloree

Your agent should be able to tell you that (is it going basically into slush or into the hands of an editor who has previously bought work via him/her?). Other ways to estimate general responsiveness of a publisher would be to refer to their submission guidelines or databases of response times (for fantasy you can find one fo these at critters.org, called 'black hole'). Basically, it depends on the publishers, the time of year, how influential your agent is and dumb luck.

SRHowen

Ask your agent.

It varies. I have a well known agent, most our replies have come back very very quickly, but a few took months--those that made it to marketing.

But my agent kept me informed as to the progress so I assume he got regular reports form the publishers as to the status of the ms.

Shawn

Ty T

What about Random House

What about Random House how long do you reckon they will take

James D Macdonald

Re: What about Random House

What about Random House how long do you reckon they will take

Who's your agent?

Are you aware of the category called "agented slush"? Manuscripts from an agent no one's ever heard of go into a slush pile, where they can wait for some pretty significant times.

Seriously, talk with your agent. That's the one individual who has the best handle on the situation.

Ty T

It is going into the hands of an editor

Hi

Yes it is going into the hands of an editor, also another publisher has asked to look at it. Do you think this will make them read it quicker

James D Macdonald

Re: It is going into the hands of an editor

It's out of your hands now. I know that obsessing about the book that's out with the publishers is natural. It's also counterproductive.

Start writing your next book.

Ty T

Thats's the thing I can't

I know I should just forget about but I can't
Generally speaking if another publisher is also interested in it do you think they'll read it and make a decision sooner. They did seem really keen to read it and I know you'll probably think everyone says that but they really did.

spywriter

time

The best advice I ever got was this....

Now that you have an agent, be excited for like 10 seconds and then forget about the book. Pretend that its a child you have shipped off to a boarding school in Europe who has no telephone and no email. Move on to the next book. It can take weeks, it can take years....just feel lucky that you have these companies looking at it. I wish I were that lucky right now!

NOW...not to sound like a broken record, WRITE YOUR NEXT BOOK. If your book is picked up and they LOVE it, they will want another book from you soon after. Have at least an outline ready. Agents and publishers like CAREERS not "A" book.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!! Let us know!

Ty T

Thanks for your advice

I have actually written other books, not finished them all but they are at least half way through. I did actually mention this to them a number of times and offered to show them parts of the other books. Do you think this was a good idea.

Do you know what I thinks weird, publishers aren't willing to look at your work unless your signed by an agent but as soon as you are signed they'll look at it no problem. I mean it is actually the same work they're looking at

spywriter

waiting

This is what has happened....

When a writer wrote on a type writer, there were fewer writers. With the invention of the word processor, every man, woman and child has decided to write a book...most with ZERO talent. The publishers became inundated and had to start screening the writers. AGents are just a fliter, that's all.

Man, I hope mine is a good one. I can't get her to call me back!

Ty T

yeah I see what you mean

Kind of if an agent likes it then we're more likely to like it

Ty T

A producer has said he might be interested in working with me on my screenplay which is the same as book
well not exactly the same but the same characters and dialouge etc. Do you think that I should mention that to them then or is it better to wait until aftter they accept my book (If they accept that is)

spywriter

waiting

It's like this....

An agent only makes money when he/she sells a book. When they take a book, they take it believing that this is the NEXT BIG THING. They then call publishers and say, "I KNOW WHAT YOU LIKE AND I HAVE IT IN MY HANDS." Remember, its the agent's reputation on the line AND livelyhood.

Ty T

No I mean do you think that I should get my agent to mention this to the publishers. Would that go in favour, the fact that it could be a movie

Ty T

Basically does the fact that you have written other books and can show to them and that it could be a movie and has alot of potential for publicity. Does this help the publishers make up their mind or do they base their opinion solely on the book.

spywriter

producer

Hmm...

If you think that the agent can help make the producer intersted in your work, then let him/her in on it. If not, I would keep that off to the side in case I leave my agent. What if your book never sells. You made the producer contact yourself...why share the funds with the agent?

James D Macdonald

Re: producer

Tell your agent all these things, and let him or her use professional judgement on what to pass on to publishers and producers. That's why the agent earns a commission -- by knowing what to say, what not to say, and using that knowledge to your mutual advantage.

Then let it go. Take a walk, see a movie, and finish one of those manuscripts you have lying around.

I presume you have a decent agent?

Ty T

But going back to my previous question

Does the fact that there is alot of publicity for it and alot more possible and that it could be a movie, do these influence the publishers decision or do they make up their mind soley on the book

James D Macdonald

That's a firm "Maybe," there, Ty T. Depends on the book, depends on the publisher, depends on the day of the week and the phase of the moon.

Ty T

Yeah I see what you mean

Has anyone ever heard of authors getting six figure advances

Ty T

Is there anything you can do to influene their decision
What about if the book is part of a series, although I suppose if the first book was a complete failure that would kind of mess it up for the rest of the books in the series wouldn't it.

Ty T

How do publishers regard books that are in series
You know if they don't like the first book in the series is that you snookered.

aka eraser

Ok Ty, I think you've set a new record for number of posts in the shortest period of time. Congratulations.

But this board is for questions and information related to the legitimacy of agents and publishers.

If you have questions related to other aspects of writing and publishing please post them in the appropriate forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.