• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Transatlantic Literary Agency, Inc.

Ty T

Hi I was wondering if any of you writers could help me

At present Futurman Rose and The Transatlantic Literary Agency both are interested in working with me

Which in your opinion is the better agency?

spywriter

Re: Who Should I Sign With

Sorry...can't help you. I have never had an experience with either one. I have actually never heard of either. However, if it were me, I would do a web search to see if there is any bad press on either one, then look to see what they have published in the last year. Are they books you have heard of? With publishers that you have heard of? Talk to each and see what their marketing plan is for your book. Did any of them ask for money up front? (Can be a Bad sign). Are they members of AAR? Is one asking for less of a percentage? What's the chemistry like between you and the agents? When you start answering these questions, you should begin to see things clearly.

Good luck:thumbs

Hapsburg

Re: Who Should I Sign With

I think it depends on what you submitted. Futerman has more experience with plays, screen plays, and novels that can be optioned for film whereas TLA has a lot more experience in placing children's and young adult works.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing he didn't quit his day job.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Transatlantic Literary Agency, Inc http://www.tla1.com/

...seems to be a fairly large agency, but there's little info on it outside of the site, itself. Anyone have any scoops or experience with them? The place is located up in Canada, and reps illustrators, too, which is neat.

NDZone

Registered
Reaction score
Got a form rejection on a full from Andrea Cascardi. I think form rejections on fulls suck.

NDZone

Registered
Reaction score
Indeed. Unless, of course, they were unsolicited.
Agreed, though I can't imagine anyone not knowing better these days. She also requested hard copy, meaning after paying for the copy and postage I got zero feedback. Like I said, sucks.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I received an email confirmation from Samantha Haywood regarding my query and attached sample pages/synopsis. She says she'll respond in a month or less.

I like getting a heads-up that agents received the material.

It's a Canadian outfit but her phone number looks like she works out of the European office.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
A form rejection beats waiting a long time for her to have a spare moment to write a proper letter.

Faith

Registered
Reaction score
Patricia Ocampo is listed on Transatlantic Literary Agency's website. After looking around, it appears that TLA is a legitimate agency but Ms. Ocampo's submission guidelines are a bit strange to me.

"Areas of Interest:
Children’s books (picture books, early readers, middle-grade, young adult), fiction or non-fiction.

Absolutely no poetry or verse.

Guidelines:
Please send, by email only, complete manuscripts in PDF. Submissions with only a summary or sample chapters will be immediately deleted. This applies to all submissions, not just picture books. The body of your email should include a short synopsis and your current city. Due to the volume of submissions received, further enquiries will be sent only for submissions being actively considered."

Anyone else think this is kind of wacky? And does anyone know anything about her?

Sakura-chan

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else think this is kind of wacky? And does anyone know anything about her?

I saw it too and found it a bit odd. I know there's some debate going on about whether agents should eliminate the partial request step so I guess Ms. Ocampo is just waaay ahead of the pack :)
As for more info about her, I got the following off the TLA site:

"In her first position in publishing, Patricia Ocampo divided her time between the children’s editorial departments at HarperCollins US and HarperCollins Canada, working out of the Toronto office. Since 2008, she has worked in sales, both at HarperCollins and Hachette Book Group. Patricia is currently president of IBBY Canada, one of 72 national sections of the International Board on Books for Young People, a non-profit organization that helps children in crisis through literacy initiatives."

And now I'm realizing you probably already read this. So I guess my answer is no, I don't know anything about her ;)

Last edited:

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but is it advisable for an American author to query a Canadian agency? More to the point, would an agency like Transatlantic have contacts in the NYC publishing houses? I'm interested in querying Meghan Macdonald, but I haven't run into this Canada/U.S. issue before with an agent. On their website it says they do sell to U.S. markets; I guess I'm just wondering if going with a non-American agency would be less than ideal for an American author.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Last bump. Just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with these folks.

Last edited by a moderator:

DCamLawr

Registered
Reaction score
Transatlantic reps recent Newbery winner Clare Vanderpool.

SportsScribe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Queried Samantha Haywood with 1st chapter and synopsis on 10/21.

Rejected on 10/24.

Last edited:

Seikei

Registered
Reaction score
Working with Canadian agent

Though this agency has its main office in Canada, the agent who requested a full from me lives in Oregon. With everything done via email these days, it shouldn't matter much. I have found that all the agents in New York think alike, have the same prejudices and ideas about what a best-seller looks like (and only want what they think will be a best-seller, BTW). So maybe you get a different perspective from somebody who lives and works elsewhere.

Last edited: