When did this become okay???

MMcC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maureenmccarrie.blogspot.com
Today was my "me" day (I have a medical treatment every week, then spend the rest of the day chilling at a cafe, writing, goofing, or whatever). I went to Barnes and Noble, picked up my weekly book stack, and worked on my laptop til the battery started looking low and the weather got icky.

A title I wanted wasn't available there, so I swung by Borders on the way home and there was a guy in the cafe there with his laptop PLUGGED INTO AN OUTLET.

Errr. Ummm. I'm pretty sure this is not supposed to be cool.

Anyone work for Seattle's Best or Borders? Is that a policy change? (Cuz if it is I'm changing hang outs.)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I don't get it... what's the big deal? My laptop prefers to be plugged in while working. Our local library has outlets that people are free to use. Actually I think the Starbucks by my husband's work has outlets at chair-height along the wall.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Um yeah, like 1982, maybe... although back then I had to lug my XT and a big honking 14" amber monitor.

Seriously... I plug in anywhere I can find a plug. Hell, I'll move office furniture around in the furniture section of Wal-Mart so that I'll be close to an outlet.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I live in Silicon Valley, and pretty much every cafe I go to allows customers to plug in their laptops.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I have a hand-me-down Dell Inspiron 1100. It's my wife's old laptop. I dumped my laptop into the trash the instant she suggested I might have it. This damn thing is souped up for science, sweetheart. Upgraded at every point. So now it might be dated some, but few new laptops can compete with this, and it was friggin' free.

But it burns up battery like you won't believe. I'm good for only about an hour on a four hour battery. Too many things burning up the battery all the time. If I go online, I'm cool for a half hour.

Yeah, I plug in everywhere I go, MM.

I always ask, and have never been denied yet.

Tracy

Registered
Reaction score
Likewise, I plug on whereever I want. I used to ask, but was greeted with such surprise, like I'd asked if I could sit down, that I don't bother any more. I think it's taken for granted now. Which is cool.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
It's okay at cafes, but not at the movie theater.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
It's not OK where I work (a library). Do it there more than once and they'll send the Library Policeman after you.

Reaction score
See, this is why I like pen and paper. The battery never runs out on a gel pen and a notepad.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
It feels odd adding to a thread started by a banned poster. Like I'm doing something slightly dodgy.
Not that that's got anything to do with the subject. Just thought I'd mention it. :tongue

Reaction score
Banned? What happened? Someone PM me! :D

Unless of course it's one of those "I'll put Banned as my usertitle and wait for Mac to notice," things again. ;)

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, what did happen?

Anyone know?

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I'm staying out of this one. You lot can get into trouble without me.

I found out on my own. . .just did a bit of research. And I'm not in trouble. . .am I?

Oh gosh, is that a mod sneaking up behind me???

HIDE ME!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Tell me! :D

But while you're PMing me, storygirl, I'll blather on a bit about laptops. Plugging them in in Borders. Wow. My battery's shot to pieces now and I'm lucky if I get 10 minutes out of it. So it's plugged in all the time. Must buy a new battery. Actually make that two. One for using while I'm out, one for spare in my handbag. Or maybe I'll stick to pen and paper. Sent that PM yet? Pen and paper, yup. Good ol' pen and paper.

Adam Israel

Formerly known as StoneTable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
I've always plugged in when I'm out and there's an outlet available. I've never had anyone complain about it or tell me it wasn't allowed, and I always buy something from the place -- a coffee, soft drink, scone, whatever.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Firstly, she wasn't banned, her battery died, don't you people read? Or ... wait ... do you believe everything you read? Something like that ...

Secondly, if you want to plug in your laptop, bring a hairdryer and plug it in too and start blow-drying your hair. When they tell you to unplug the hairdryer they won't even care about the laptop. Of course if you have any guts at all, you'll just ignore them and keep drying your hair.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Here's a special picture of my hair, just for you, my darling Nikki. I often go into bookstores and blowdry my armpit hair. God bless America. (btw, pretty cool bruise, huh?)

IMGA0343.jpg

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
III, what did you do to your arm? That bruise looks painful.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
I was holding open the door for Scarlet and she grabbed my arm and called me a sexist pig ... or maybe it was a sexy pig ... it's hard to tell with the Scottish accent. Either that, or I fell down the stairs and caught myself on the knoll. It hurt like a MUTHA! But I love that bruise. Too bad it's fading now.