YA stereotypes: good or bad?

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
okay, this thread cracks me up every time I read it. I see "stereotypes," and the first creatures that pop into my head are NOT ogres and trolls! I'm not sure mythical creatures can be the victims of prejudice...

I get what you're saying, but I think stereotypes is not the word you're looking for!

traininvain

bonafide hustler
Registered
Reaction score
I recently read this article by Joelle Anthony, compiling what she believes to be the Top 25 most common stereotypes in YA fiction. You can visit her site to see her other comments on the list.

Though it mostly applies to contemporary YA, I thought it'd be interesting to discuss.

It's not letting me paste in the list, so here are some of them she mentions: Vegetarian teens with unsympathetic meat-eating parents; the wicked stepmother who turns out to be simply misunderstood and it’s all cleared up in the climax; using coffee, cappuccino, and café latte to describe black people’s skin; characters who chew on their lip or tongue in times of stress – usually until they taste blood; lists.

Do you guys think there are any obvious ones missing? Do you have any of these in your stories?

Last edited: