• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Aquarius Publications / Talisman Publishing

Talisman Publishing

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, people.

I've already posted on this forum to promote my first novel, Double Jeopardy, but have now decided that I'd like to go a step further and 'join the community.'

Talisman Publishing is a new small publishers made up of three writers, Michael Morris, Rachel Fletcher and myself, Richard Egan. I use the POD (Print On Demand) service from Lulu.com to print the books, though I publish under my own name. So far we have published one full book, Michael's Double Jeopardy, and a free ebook preview of Double Jeopardy. I have just finished my own first book, a children's science-fiction entitled Hermione Applegate and the Secret Under the House and am currently reviewing the proof copy. Rachel is working on her own first novel, a crime drama with the working title of Danielle Dove. Michael has already started on his second book, a futuristic version of the classic Les Miserables, and I am working on a new series called Dark Master, based on the Master character from Doctor Who.

As you can see we are already quite busy, but Talisman Publishing is not not my primary occupation. I have just completed an NVQ 2 in Playwork, and up until the end of July I was working at an After School and Holiday Club looking after children between the ages of 4 and 14. Unfortunately the club closed at the end of last month, and I am now working at a Holiday Club closer to home.

That's all about me. I'll get the other two, Michael and Rachel, to post something about themselves too.

Richard

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to have you aboard Richard! We look forward to meeting the others as well!!!!

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
... and I am working on a new series called Dark Master, based on the Master character from Doctor Who.
Cool. Are you going to link this fanfiction into the modern TV series, which has the Master regenerated as the British Prime Minister, or go in a new direction?

I'm not sure I see the point in owning a publishing label, and then work on fan-fiction based on existing characters which you can't publish, but good luck!

Mac

Last edited:

Glenda

Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Richard, :welcome: to the Water Cooler. Do you have a website?

Talisman Publishing

Registered
Reaction score
Michael Morris

Hi, Michael Morris here.

I'm a sci-fi writer, and have just finished my first novel, Double Jeopardy, which is available on the Lulu.com site in print and ebook format. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be getting many sales at the moment. I have a free downloadable preview that has so far been accessed twice, but no one seems to want to buy the full book. :cry:

As well as writing, I also work at a local supermarket, where I am working towards a vocational retail managment course and when I am not working, I play the Tenor Sax in a concert band.

Michael

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
G'day Michael.

You might want to get your own login here - it could get confusing if all three of you use the same name here. (Unless you all have identical views in a creepy Stepford Wife kind of way!)

By the way, one of those people reading the preview was me. That means you've doubled the exposure of your product in the last 24 hours.

In the old dot-com days, you could have floated an entire company based on that exponential growth!

Have a great day,

Mac
(PS: I know you haven't offered it up for critique, but one reason that may not be helping is that it seems to be aimed at children (since the heroes seem to kids on a scouting trip who discover a magical spaceship which takes them to a land of elves and wizards) but has a warning that it isn't suitable for those under 18. Good luck!)

Last edited:

Talisman Publishing

Registered
Reaction score
Rachel Fletcher

Hi, I'm Rachel.

I'm currently at university studying for a degree in English Literature, so I don't get very much time to write. Even so, I'm still managing to get the occassional bit of work done on my first novel, which currently only has a working title of Danielle Dove.

The novel is the first in a series (looks like we're all starting a series :tongue ) about a young woman called Danielle, who is working as a solicitor at the start of the book. At the beginning of the story she is on her way home after a long day at work, finishing at around midnight on a Friday, when she gets a call to attend a local police station for legal aid. A man has been accused of murder but, after interviewing the suspects sister, Danielle feels sure that he is innocent.

As the story progresses, Danielle starts to consider the idea of offering a joint lawyer/private investigator service. Working on the case as a Private Detective until it comes to court, then representing the same client in court. (As either the defense: If her investigation has been supporting someone wrongly accused, or the prosecution: if her client had hired her to investigation someone else.)

I've noticed the comments people have made about the three of us creating seperate membership accounts for this forum. I don't know about Michael, but personally I don't intend to spend much time here. As I said, I'm at university at the moment, and most of my time is spent on work and writing. (And the compulsory student social life :D ) Apart from the odd mention in a chat room or with friends, I intend to leave most of my promotion to the publisher. I might drop by occassionaly, but most of the time I expect it will just be Richard.

Rachel Fletcher

PS
I've read a copy of Michael's first novel and, although I'm not a keen science-fiction fan, the ideas he has for the series seem rather interesting. I'd recommend the first book. If print version seems a bit pricy, the ebook is only £2.50. The link is: http://www.lulu.com/content/894985

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
IApart from the odd mention in a chat room or with friends, I intend to leave most of my promotion to the publisher. I might drop by occassionaly, but most of the time I expect it will just be Richard.

First of all, welcome, and your novel sounds quite interesting. I'm curious about the above statement, however. Is Talisman a tradition self-publisher, or do they plan to expand in the future?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I an not sure how joining a writers' forum constitutes 'promotion'. That is sometimes a side effect (if my sig line sells a book I'm all for it) but when it is the main goal, well...

Talisman Publishing

Registered
Reaction score
I an not sure how joining a writers' forum constitutes 'promotion'. That is sometimes a side effect (if my sig line sells a book I'm all for it) but when it is the main goal, well...

The promotion thread on this forum. That's what it's there for, isn't it?

First of all, welcome, and your novel sounds quite interesting. I'm curious about the above statement, however. Is Talisman a tradition self-publisher, or do they plan to expand in the future?

I believe we are planning to expand in the future, but we want to get a few sales between ourselves to start with.

Rachel
Talisman Publishing

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Yes but the thing is, the people who promote in that thread are members here who participate in other areas of the forum. If they do not they are quickly weeded out and either they learn that the only way they will get respect is to give it, or they leave. To simply come to this forum and push your product is akin to spam here. And spam gets deleted.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
And this thread was opened in a different forum. I would hope the membership has a broader purpose than seeing peers as consumers.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
..personally I don't intend to spend much time here ...

[Insert promotional blurb to try and sell a book, and a link to buy it]
So you visit a community just to tell them you aren't interested in the community .. but please buy this book !!?

And how can you self publish through Lulu, but then leave most of your promotion to the publisher ?

Good luck,

Mac

Last edited:

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
The promotion thread on this forum. That's what it's there for, isn't it?

I believe we are planning to expand in the future, but we want to get a few sales between ourselves to start with.

Rachel
Talisman Publishing

I'm just wondering about the viability of a publishing venture in which, out of three people, we already know one is a full-time student with no interest in marketing, and the other two have different day jobs which have nothing to do with the publishing industry. I don't mean to be rude, but there seems to be a problem with that plan.

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also a bit confused by this line, from the summary for DOUBLE JEOPARDY at the Self-Promotion thread: "Note: This novel is intended for young adults, and contains scenes that are unsuitable for those under 18 years of age."

Talisman Publishing

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just wondering about the viability of a publishing venture in which, out of three people, we already know one is a full-time student with no interest in marketing, and the other two have different day jobs which have nothing to do with the publishing industry. I don't mean to be rude, but there seems to be a problem with that plan.

I, that is Richard, am doing all the publishing tasks. As I believe I have said, I am a Playworker, which means I look after children on an out of school basis, after school and during school holidays. Outside of this I have a lot of time on my hands and decided I'd like to fill it with a secondary career. I initially chose writing and, after seeing how easy it was to publish with Lulu.com, decided I'd try publishing too.

So you visit a community just to tell them you aren't interested in the community .. but please buy this book !!?

And how can you self publish through Lulu, but then leave most of your promotion to the publisher ?

Good luck,

Mac

Michael and Rachel haven't joined the forum. I have. I just thought it would be nice to have the other writers I work with introduce themselves. Sorry if that was a bad idea.

I was under the impression that self publishing referred to writing a book then publishing it yourself. In this case yes, I am self-publishing. However Rachel, who made the post, is not. I am publishing her work. Therefore yes, she is leaving most of the promtion to the publisher (me.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've written a few stories before, but this is the first time I've tried publishing. I'm new at it, and not too sure what to do. This is why I chose to start with just my own work and that of a couple of friends, rather than open the doors to a vast number of clients. That is also way I am making mistakes such as marking a Young Adults book as unsuitable for under 18's. In my view, Young Adults were just that. People at the younger end of the adult stage of life. That is 18 - 25/30 year olds. I don't expect the story to necessarily be of interested to those in their 30's and 40's, but it is unsuitable for a younger audience as it contains explicit scenes. How would you, the experts, market it?

I joined this forum because I thought I might be able to get help and advice from those already in the writing/publishing industry. I've heard from other sources that people in this area are usual happy to help newcomers. However, what I have read so far in the response to my and my friends comments seems to be verging on flaming. I do hope this changes, as this is one of my favourite writer's forums on the internet.

Richard Egan
Talisman Publishing

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
Richard, I don't believe it's flaming to bring up valid concerns about a publisher's marketing strategy, especially when that publisher has plans to take on outside clients in the future. It is a bit...unsettling, if I may be so bold...that someone setting himself up as a publisher doesn't understand basic genre distinctions. Publishing has a steep learning curve, and there is no shame in being uninformed (we all were, and most of us still are to some degree); however, it does start to be a problem when, totally uninformed, and with others' trust placed in you, you try to take on all the work yourself. It's like offering your friend a ride to the airport when you don't even have a license.

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Oh lord.

Richard, how much do you read?

Seriously.

Because labeling a book YA has a fairly specific meaning -- and it's not the one you're assigning. I also know for a fact that members requested quite civilly -- as did a mod, privately -- that you three not log on under a single name because it's confusing and unwieldy.

Then, to cap it off, your cohorts were sort of cavalier and insulting towards this community.

No one has flamed you. No one has even been impolite. You've an awful lot to learn, though, and you're not endearing yourself when you meet the simplest advice with complete indifference towards an industry we're all pretty fond of and dedicated to -- the industry in which you're apparently setting yourself up as some sort of pseudo-professional.

As for you supposedly loving this community, that assertion might be more persuasive if you'd taken the time to actually learn the first thing about the people and conversations here, before posting a "buy my book!" link.

Last edited:

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I joined this forum because I thought I might be able to get help and advice from those already in the writing/publishing industry. I've heard from other sources that people in this area are usual happy to help newcomers. However, what I have read so far in the response to my and my friends comments seems to be verging on flaming. I do hope this changes, as this is one of my favourite writer's forums on the internet.

Richard Egan
Talisman Publishing
I'd like to address this if I may.

Richard, Absolute Write is a community for writers. That's not to say we exclude other industry professionals. Far from it. If you'll look at the Ask the Agent or Ask the Editor forums, you'll see that we don't. Many of our regular contributing members are agent or editors. But the emphasis of this place is for the benefit of writers.

So to Richard the writer, we say welcome. There are a lot of forums here that can help improve your writing.

But you've also positioned yourself as a publisher. What's more, you're a publisher whose only experience is in self-publishing. Granted, self-publishing can be a valid option for some writers. Unfortunately we have seen writers hurt by inexperienced agents and publishers, and any new, inexperienced publisher (such as yourself) will be greeted with a certain skepticism.

Publishing is a complex business and not one you can learn on the job. You may be able to get books edited and printed, but you're unlikely to get distribution to bookstores, and that is the crux of the problem.

So to the publisher in you we are likely to ask some pretty hard questions -- questions aimed not so much to hurt you, but to protect writers.