Two books or three?

JaCKo

Hi!

This is my first post on this site, so I hope its in the right section.

I've asked this question around and no one seems to know, so whatever information you might have, I'm interested.

Here it is: have you ever heard or come across a set of books (two to be exact), which were published as volumes one and two, but had approximately a third (!) of the same content. This third is an integral part of each book (with very slight variations, associated to the particular topic of the volume).
I think the logical thing to do is to publish a third volume, which connects the other two, but my esteemed colleague (the author) disagrees. I suppose one might be able to find similar practice in certain technical books (which these two are in a way), but I have no way of knowing, so I have to ask.

Anything you may know will be much appreciated. :)
Thanks!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
JaCKo, help me out here. Could you be a little plainer about what you're asking?

First off, are you talking about fiction or non-fiction?

If it's fiction, are you talking about a duology followed by a one-volume sequel? If so, sure, it's been done.

Are you talking about two novels where, say, chapters 1-5 in each book are identical? If so, can't say I've ever heard of it.

Could you restate the question, perhaps with an example?

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
He said they're sort of technical books.

Jacko, you're right-- I'd find that very irritating if I were the reader. Is the author self-published?

JaCKo

Thanks for the feedback so far everybody.

They're both non-fictional, technical books (its actually specialized literature, similar to what one might find at university).

No, not self-published. She's trying to get this double out, and I must say I'm not entirely surprised that she hasn't found a publisher yet. I've never heard of anything like what she's planning (I'll be sure to mention you James, when I talk to her about it), and I'd agree with Jenna that its absolutely irritating to get the same information in two books, which are not thematically connected (but do have this one very important aspect in common).

So, what I'm thinking is that she should change this idea of having the same content in two books, and make a seperate, third book, instead of having the same content, a third (quite a bit, when you consider that its 120.000 words long), in each of the initial books .

But if anyone has heard of anything like this - maybe come across it during their education. I can't completely dismiss this yet, so I'm thinking that schoolbooks are a place to look for something like this, before I tell her she's gone absolutely, raving mad and should seriously reconsider her concept.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
Oh, "disrespectful" my hiney. That's substantially more vague than the OP, & therefore that much less instructive.

I still cannot parse whether we're talking a single manuscript split into pieces, or multiple manuscripts.

I still cannot parse whether the project described is intended to be sold as a set or a series. There are books like the Guerrilla Marketing "series" that actually have substantial overlap of content -- but since they're being sold to different market segments, it makes a certain amount of sense to ensure that the core info is the same, & the specific info different.

We do, though, now know that it's not self-published. Therefore, it's pretty much going to be up to the publisher as to how this is handled, though the editor(s) will probably at least give passing note to any suggestions. It's the publisher that'll decide how big the thing's going to be, what the target market wants, the intended use (college textbook vs. general library shelving vs. Borders). Therefore, putting too much effort into thinking about this would be not terribly dissimilar from hiring someone to come up with cover designs.

Call me arrogant, but it looks like they should finish the manuscript, polish the heck out of it, & meantime be querying publishers.

Sorry that's freakin' "disrespectful."

JaCKo

Sorry for the outrage I seem to have spurred up.

I may have misunderstood to whom your "disrespect" is connected to Anthony, but I think it might to my author friend for not doing her job the way she should be - which is also why I'm asking this question. I'm not a writer (not books anyway, just column here and there) so I don't have much experience in this field, I'm just asking questions on my friend's behalf so she doesn't make a mess of things. She likes to be secretive about this piece of work, and I respect that secrecy by not giving out too much information.

Its multiple manuscripts (two), being published as a double or a "doulogy" of sorts, but I don't think you could a call this (technical) piece of work a duology. Both books will be on sale together, but will be available separately.

The market segment overlaps just a little bit, but not much (they're being sold together), and this third of both books is actually quite the same thing - not like there would be similar bits here and there, its actually an entire chunk of both books (a couple of chapters - together) that are quite the same (just an odd word or sentence here or there is different, so that it fits to the theme of each book). It is this that I find quite baffling, and I think its so senseless that even you can't quite grasp what she's doing, hence the reason for our misunderstandings so far.

"Call me arrogant, but it looks like they should finish the manuscript, polish the heck out of it, & meantime be querying publishers."

The books are done. One has been translated and the other is in the process. Publishers are being queried, but I don't think the concept is ... well, simply good enough to be ready for publishing. I think that the readers are being made fools of, and I don't see how anyone would want to publish this in the form it is now (there's still time, because the second books hasn't been translated to the end yet, so no one has had the opportunity to read it yet). The actual content is unbelieveably good, quite revolutionary, its truly amazing (not just my thought, this is the thought of several renowned experts and prominent academians), but the impact will be ... I'll put it like this: instead of a massive crater, she'll just be scratching the surface. I think its a waste, and over something so superficial.

I hope I've been specific enough, and I'm sorry to have caused anyone any discontent. Thank you again for your replies.

Last edited:

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
Hello, this is my field -technical or as we call it the professional and scholarly genre. A subject matter that would be of interest to a university or institutional market can have subsequent editions. As a series editor my initial examination is of the author's expertise, and if there is a big enough market out there for it. Is the topic of the ms being taught in the market place? Material based on current processes and procedures does change so second or third editions are required. But the ms must be clear and complete. Redundant material from text to text is frowned upon. If you are reluctant to reveal the subject matter you can pm me. But authors in this genre have to tread the line of the market's needs and prove their expertise in addition to being good writers. Hope this helps.

JaCKo

Thank you, it does. I think I'm beginning to find out that my initial concerns were well founded and that she should definitely change her concept.