The Editorial Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Fellow Scribes,

I am picking up my editorial notes today. Any suggestions on how to work with them? Also, my editor says that she's givine me my edited manuscript and editorial notes. Does this mean that she actually edited the hard copy and included notes? This may be a simple (duh) question which should explain why I didn't ask her.

p.s. While I'm here, may I ask an authority on grammar a pregunta?
In a sentence such as this:

My new title will be "Great Expectations."
Should the period go outside or inside the quote?

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
If you're in America, the period should go inside quotation marks. (If you were in the UK, it would go outside.)

And it does sound like your editor will have the hard copy with her marks.

How would I deal with it? Carefully. I would be open to EVERYTHING the editor suggested. If you decide to disregard a change, be prepared to articulate exactly why you disagree with it. I think one thing you don't want to get into is romanticizing your own work. The editor is paid to make books; that's what she does. Because the work can get so close to your face, it is possible that someone else knows better than you what works and what doesn't.

Yet, on the other hand, I wouldn't feel like you have to make the changes the editor suggests. I've taken most of my editor's suggestions and have tossed some out, and I think knowing which is which is important in this stage of the game. But to know which is which, a writer has to let go a little and trust in her editor.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
I was always taught (in America) that in this sentence the period would go outside; it goes inside if the quotation marks indicates speech. Anyone else?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I talk to my editor when I'm making editorial corrections. "What do you mean? Didn't you read that in Chapter Two?" and grumble grumble grumble. I'd say that I accepted probably 90% of the edits without question (yes, there was lots of "Doh!") another 6-7% after discussion and the rest I discarded--but I made sure I had a damn good reason for dismissing her suggestions.

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Will. So are you saying that I can actually refuse to change certain things? Wow. Didn't know I had the power. But I'll certainly be open minded when it comes to the changes. My editor has already shown that's she's hella cool, so I think things will go down smooth.
p.s. When did you get your contract? Before or after you made the editorial changes? I thought I'd get my contract along with the editorial notes. Gee, I'm confused.

BarbJ, let's gather up the grammar folks! :)

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
I was always taught (in America) that in this sentence the period would go outside; it goes inside if the quotation marks indicates speech. Anyone else?

Outside.

Complete sentences have the punctuation on the inside because the punctuation is part of the quoted sentence. Titles and partial quotes have the punctuation on the outside because the punctuation doesn't belong to the quote (or title). It belongs to the entire sentence.

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
mscelina - did you have to explain everything in writing?

Willow, thanks!

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
Outside.

Complete sentences have the punctuation on the inside because the punctuation is part of the quoted sentence. Titles and partial quotes have the punctuation on the outside because the punctuation doesn't belong to the quote (or title). It belongs to the entire sentence.

You would think so, but no.

If it's a period or comma, then it goes inside. This rule has been adopted in America in the last few years by MLA, Chicago, APA, and virtually everybody else.

It does look better, but it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. But that's how it's done.

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
Link re: what I was just talking about.

In the United Kingdom, Canada, and islands under the influence of British education, punctuation around quotation marks is more apt to follow logic. In American style, then, you would write: My favorite poem is Robert Frost's "Design." But in England you would write: My favorite poem is Robert Frost's "Design". The placement of marks other than periods and commas follows the logic that quotation marks should accompany (be right next to) the text being quoted or set apart as a title. Thus, you would write (on either side of the Atlantic):
  • What do you think of Robert Frost's "Design"? and
  • I love "Design"; however, my favorite poem was written by Emily Dickinson.

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Man, you guys are sharp!

Now Willie, come on back to the original topic. LOL
Did you receive the contract shortly after the editorial notes or at the same time?

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
You would think so, but no.

If it's a period or comma, then it goes inside. This rule has been adopted in America in the last few years by MLA, Chicago, APA, and virtually everybody else.

It does look better, but it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. But that's how it's done.

Not where I was taught to write professionally. Your American rules does not apply to me.

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
Man, you guys are sharp!

Now Willie, come on back to the original topic. LOL
Did you receive the contract shortly after the editorial notes or at the same time?

I received the contract well afterward. My editor and I were actually talking about editorial stuff the night before the auction.

There's a department at the house that will be responsible for contracts, so your editor probably won't have anything to do with that. If your situation is anything like mine, you've got awhile to go before you get that contract. Your agent should send you a boilerplate, but it was two or three months before I signed anything.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
For my part, I didn't get my editorial notes until long after the contract. They were not substantial, but that still left me with plenty to do.

I think Will's advice is very sound -- be open to anything the editor says. It is very easy to get defensive when somebody is picking apart your writing, but the editor is definitely on your side and trying to make things better. That doesn't meant to just blindly do whatever they say, but read through the suggestions and ask yourself how you could work with each one. I felt that my editor's advice was solid; in fact, where we differed was mostly where I felt like the book needed more changes than she suggested, not fewer!

If the editor suggests a change you really can't abide, ask yourself if there's a third way of doing things -- a different change that will address your editor's concerns while remaining true to your own voice. Editors are usually very open to this.

I would doubt that you're getting the marked-up manuscript back. I got my editorial notes in early spring, but I didn't get my copyedited manuscript until July. Not much point in crossing the Ts and dotting the Is while major rewriting is still going on, I think.

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I'll keep you guys posted on my journey. :)

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
My advice: proceed slowly, at least in the initial stages.

Open the envelope. Give the notes a quick read. Flip through the marked pages. Then WALK AWAY! If you're anything like me, you should leave it overnight before you engage with it in any way, just to get over the shock...

birdfeeder

Registered
Reaction score
I've found it best to sit on editorial notes and ponder them for a while.

Good luck!

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Pals!

I met my editor on my lunch hour. She's beautiful inside and out! Gave me a package thick with changes. I read through them. I agree with most of her questions/concerns. What's crazy and telling is that I can't answer some of her questions which means I didn't fully think out my plot/characters etc. However, since this will be my 9th or 10th revision (my agent put me through it too) I'm sure I'll do fine. :)

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
My feeling is you don't really start getting to the heart of your novel until the 9th or 10th revision. Usually that one comes about six months after the novel has been published. So consider yourself fortunate.
P.S. I know James A. Richie only sticks around for two revisions, top. So some minds may differ here.

wayndom

Registered
Reaction score

Just the opposite. In America, punctuation goes inside the quotes unless it's logically inconsistent.

Are you going to see, "The Three Caballeros"? Obviously, the three cabs isn't a question, so it goes outside. Periods aren't so picky, though.

I'm going to see "The Three Caballeros." 'Cause placement of the period doesn't change the meaning of the sentence.

spacejock2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spacejock.com.au
Dear Fellow Scribes,

I am picking up my editorial notes today. Any suggestions on how to work with them? Also, my editor says that she's givine me my edited manuscript and editorial notes. Does this mean that she actually edited the hard copy and included notes? This may be a simple (duh) question which should explain why I didn't ask her.

I agree with everything my editor says, even if there are things I find unworkable or which don't seem to fit the characters or plot (this is rare because she's very good).

Then, a week or two later I raise a couple of small points and we negotiate a solution. This goes on until all the points are addressed, and then I do the work and send the next version in. (She usually reads the entire novel at least twice, once for the initial report and once when it's in the final version. That's why we work from outlines in the first place, to cut down the workload for both of us.)

Cheers
Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.