• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Aardvark Global Publishing / ECKO House Publishing

rocketman

Registered
Reaction score
I had a friend who knows I read this board had asked about Aardvark Global Publishing and Publisher Services, provided by Bar Codes Graphics. Both sell an ISBN package for $55. I never heard of that or them? Anyone?

mady

Registered
Reaction score
Aardvark Global Publishing / ISBN4Authors.com

I am self-publishing my 1st book, and need an ISBN #.
Is it safe to apply online, with www.isbn4authors.com? They look legit' but how can I be sure they are?
isbn.org makes it hard to buy only 1 number, they try to sell blocks of 10.
Any advise?
Thank you!!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I answered this same question on the other thread where you asked, but I'll put it here too, because it's important for people to see:

They make it difficult to buy just one because they aren't in the business of selling numbers to authors--they sell to PUBLISHERS. So, always keep in mind that whoever you buy a single number from: a) will be shown as the PUBLISHER in the U.S. Library of Congress; and b) is selling it to you illegally if they tell you you'll be the publisher instead.

Read this so you understand the consequences. I have been worrying about a number of the legitimate printers for this very reason.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
An ISBN uniquely identifies not only the book but the publisher.

If you plan to self-publish you will need to buy a minimum of ten numbers. $250.

Sorry about that, but that's the way it goes.

If you can't afford the $250 for the ISBN, my friend, trust me: You can't afford to self-publish.

mady

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Cathy,
Pretty scary information - I almost went for the asy, online approach.
How can I find a tel. number for bowker agency? They don't list it.
Also, my book is about to go to print; looks like bowkers takes a minimum of 2 weeks to process applications. can I have it printed and then put stickers on with the isbn/bar code?
Thanks again,
Mady

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Processing Information: Processing time for an ISBN application is 15 business days (Saturdays and Sundays and holidays are not business days) from the date of our receipt of the completed form. This means that the application is inhouse for that length of time; ISBNs can be mailed or e-mailed to publishers after this processing period is completed.

Priority Processing: The ISBN Agency provides this service for an additional charge of $75 on top of the service charge. This is a two business day processing from the date of our receipt of the application.

Express Processing: This type service is the quickest turnaround for a publisher requesting their log book. The publisher can receive their log book via e-mail only. Please allow 24 business hours processing within the ISBN Agency.

If I were you I'd put off printing.

If you must, go with the express processing (24 business hours). (That is, if I read it right, three business days.)

I suppose you could go with stickers, though it'll look unprofessional and will add a lot of fiddly hand-work to your process. What's your rush?

Back off, do your research, and do it right.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Thank you Cathy,
Pretty scary information - I almost went for the asy, online approach.
How can I find a tel. number for bowker agency? They don't list it.
Also, my book is about to go to print; looks like bowkers takes a minimum of 2 weeks to process applications. can I have it printed and then put stickers on with the isbn/bar code?
Thanks again,
Mady

Is there a reason for the hurry? I'd suggest you slow down the process. Just call the printer and ask for an extension. Generally, that's not a problem. Going to press before you've looked into these important issues worries me because it's going to make it hard for you to get the book into any sort of distribution/sales chain, such as Amazon or B&N.com--which require ISBNs to sell the book.

ETA: Cross posted with Jim. I agree with him, as you can see. :)

mady

Registered
Reaction score
Yup, I guess you guys are right - gotta do it correctly!
But still, is there a way I can phone r.r.bowker agency, or do they not use phones? Can't locate a number.
Thanks!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
This page is about as close as you're going to get, I'm afraid. But they have an email address, and you are on-line, so that might be the quickest. Or maybe by fax, if you have one available.

mady

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! You've been very helpful.
And you guys probably saved me from going for a scam, ie. isbn4authors! Hey, they DO look legal...
Take care, all of you.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
They make it difficult to buy just one because they aren't in the business of selling numbers to authors--they sell to PUBLISHERS. So, always keep in mind that whoever you buy a single number from: a) will be shown as the PUBLISHER in the U.S. Library of Congress; and b) is selling it to you illegally if they tell you you'll be the publisher instead.

That makes me curious. Lulu has always seemed rather upfront to me, but they do offer a package where you buy a single ISBN and they claim you will be registered/shown as the publisher.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
ISBN4Authors.com (http://www.isbn4authors.com/) appears to be yet another vanity press with a new line of blarney.

What they're offering isn't self-publishing.

I dunno, seems pretty standard to me. Here, publish your book at this low, low price. And you can buy all this other stuff too if you want! That's one of the oldest schemes for selling any service. 8)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
That makes me curious. Lulu has always seemed rather upfront to me, but they do offer a package where you buy a single ISBN and they claim you will be registered/shown as the publisher.

I know... :( Hence, my comment:

I have been worrying about a number of the legitimate printers for this very reason.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I know... :( Hence, my comment:

Out of curiosity, I sent them an email on the subject. That page could be clearer. It mentions they are the exclusive source, and that there are unauthorized resellers, but does not mention if there are authorized resellers.

(When someone says: There are unauthorized X, I think the natural assumption is that there are also authorized X. If there weren't, the statement should be There are no authorized X.)

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
That IS odd, since I KNOW buying an ISBN from Lulu makes them the publisher. That's the way it's always been. I have books on Lulu, through a self-publisher (who's NOT me; I mean he edits the books but has stories in them too), anyway, he only uses Lulu as the printer/storefront; he bought the ISBN's himself, since he also publishes other stuff under his business name.

Does that make sense?

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Lulu offers a package where they are the publisher and another package where the author is the publisher. (That is their claim, at least.)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Bowker is the sole source in the US of US ISBNs. There are no authorized re-sellers.

Mady, if you are publishing in France, even if your book is in English, you may need to have a French ISBN.

As to Lulu: they've worked a partnership with Bowker to have Bowker sell one-off ISBNs.

As Lulu says on their FAQ page:

Once the service has been purchased, Lulu will work with the US ISBN Agency to process your information. Your ISBN will be assigned within 3-4 business days.

See this story: http://www.bookbusinessmag.com/story/story.bsp?sid=56460&var=story
Online independent-publishing marketplace Lulu.com and R.R. Bowker, the U.S. International Standard Book Numbers (ISBN) agency, have partnered to provide Lulu.com users with the opportunity to purchase ISBNs for their self-published books. This is the first time that New Providence, N.J.-based Bowker, the sole distributor of ISBNs in the United States, has partnered with a company to offer individual ISBNs.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Well that solves that one. Next: James tells us where Hoffa is buried!

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Before James stepped in and set the record straight, I emailed the US ISBN agency to get the scoop on Lulu.com ISBN's. Of course, he confirmed what James said. He also said that they are working on a plan to reach out to more self-publishers to act as designated ISBN resellers. So, in the future, there should be more oppurtunities for authors who want to go that route.

tbow77

Registered
Reaction score
Yup, I guess you guys are right - gotta do it correctly!
But still, is there a way I can phone r.r.bowker agency, or do they not use phones? Can't locate a number.
Thanks!

Hi Mady, As of Jan. 1, 2008, Bowker will sell a single ISBN for $125. You no longer have to be a publishing company to purchase ISBNs and you no longer have to buy ten or more. It is tedious doing it an their site, but with patience you can buy your own right from Bowker. You don't need to buy a barcode. Whoever designs your cover can supply a barcode. Barcodes simply reflect retail price for bookstores.

Certain few publishers are authorized to provide you an ISBN. They submit your info to R.R. Bowker. www.selfpublishing.com is an excellent source that links you to Bowker. These folks published my wife's book and can be trusted. If you buy it directly from Bowker, they will provide an 800 number to use to list your book with Bowker Books In Print (essential).

Ted

tbow77

Registered
Reaction score
I answered this same question on the other thread where you asked, but I'll put it here too, because it's important for people to see:

Read this so you understand the consequences. I have been worrying about a number of the legitimate printers for this very reason.

Actually, if you go to www.isbn.org (Bowker's official ISBN site) and click on:
[SIZE=+0]Wondering if an offer to sell an ISBN is legitimate? Click here[/SIZE]

You will see 12 publishers that are designated by Bowker to submit single ISBN applications to Bowker and you will be the publisher of record.