The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: Foundry Literary + Media

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Just an FYI that Mollie Glick has moved from Jean V. Naggar Literary Agency to Foundry + Media as of 9/8.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Unhappy

Just got a rejection from Foundry on a full - a form letter. Ouch!

Yeah, they typed in my name and the title, but a form is a form. I've never been dissed in this manner from any other agency - always had some personal feedback, helpful comments.

FYI I sent the original query plus 3 chapters June 10th, received request for a full on July 31 and got the R today. Hannah Gordon requested the additional material.

figuring it all out
    Yeah, form for a requested full sucks.
    Rest in peace Don LaFontaine, the real movie announcer guy. Can you imagine the symphony of Don, James Earl Jones and Charlton Heston having a conversation?

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Repunzel View Post
    Just got a rejection from Foundry on a full - a form letter. Ouch!

Yeah, they typed in my name and the title, but a form is a form. I've never been dissed in this manner from any other agency - always had some personal feedback, helpful comments.

FYI I sent the original query plus 3 chapters June 10th, received request for a full on July 31 and got the R today. Hannah Gordon requested the additional material.
    Was it exclusive to them for all that time?

Red face

Movieannouncerguy - Thanks for the sympathy.

billy027 - NO - it was never an exclusive. They didn't ask for one so I've been sending it out - not a lot because it was summer and I was still rewriting the query.

Funny thing is, the query I sent to Foundry was actually pretty bad. Was very surprised to get the request for a full. The other 8 agents I sent that exact query to couldn't reject it fast enough. This is a weird business.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

just an update to Mollie Glick's contact info.

Mollie Glick has moved to the following agency as of September 2008.

Foundry Literary + Media
    33 W. 17th St.
    New York, NY 10011
    www.foundrymedia.com
    212-929-5064-p
    212-929-5471-f
    MGlick@foundrymedia.com

Anyone know how independently these agents work one from another? Mollie read a full of a previous manuscript and was very helpful, but I've already been rejected by an agent at Foundry on current manuscript. Not sure if I can submit to Molly in a few months.

practical experience, FTW Prevostprincess's Avatar
    If an agent told you on a past ms that even though she was passing, she'd like to see something in the future from you, I wouldn't worry about it, just because she's changed agencies where the ms has been passed on by another agent. Unless agencies specifically state not to submit to more than one agent, it shouldn't be a problem, anyway.

My understanding is that for the agencies that do have a problem with this, it's because if a certain agent passes on a ms, but thinks someone else at the agency is right for it, he or she will send it along/discuss it at an agency meeting. Since the agent you want to submit to now wasn't at this agency months ago, it's a moot point.
    Doreen Orion

QUEEN OF THE ROAD The True Tale of 47 States, 22,000 Miles, 200 Shoes, 2 Cats, 1 Poodle, a Husband and a Bus With a Will of Its Own (Broadway)
    Borders Featured Book Club Pick, Target Breakout Book

Eat Pray Love - without the depression. Denver Magazine

Grade A. Rocky Mountain News

A Charles Kuralt-Albert Brooks-style romp where they meet up with nudists, robbers and more. New York Post

Charming, insightful.... hilarious... evokes the best of Bill Bryson and David Sedaris... the unique voice of a gifted memoirist. Jonathan Kellerman

I love this book. Jen Lancaster

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin shellyli's Avatar
    I have worked with Yfat Reiss Gendell before. She is smart, nice, and very responsive. I did 3 revisions with her before she decided that my work wasn't for her, but it was through all those revisions that I improved my writing. Two days after she turned me down for representation, I sold my first short story to Nature magazine. But... Foundry is definitely a top notch literary agency. They're professional and have a lot of depth in the publishing industry.

rebecca Serle

Hi all,
    I queried Yfat Reiss Gendell, and got a request from a Rebecca Serle. Wasn't sure if she is Gendell's assistant or a junior agent of some sort. Any info or experience out there amongst the gang? Regardless, I am psyched!

Cool Chiming in on the Foundry thread w/a request

I just got a request for a partial from Stephanie Abou of Foundry. She actually asked for a proposal as mine's non-fiction, but I told her I have the first 8 chapters all polished and ready to go. So I sent 3 chaps. as a teaser. Waiting to see. Not much on them, but at least I don't see anything incendiary. She did ask for an exclusive. What's the thinking on exclusives here??

For those who are following my life's story (and I'm sure that's pretty much everyone here...yeah right!), I'm dipping back in the waters after a year wasted with "another agent" who signed me and did zip, zero, zilch. See this link to another absolutewrite topic about this agent

crossing fingers and toes.....thanks for everyone's support!!

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Stephen Barbara has joined Foundry from Don Maass

loves creamed corn with bacon GoblinGirl's Avatar

Talking Delay at Foundry??

Hannah Gordon Brown requested my full back in September, after reading the first 50 page, still w/no word. Has anyone had a similar experience with them or know if they're backlogged?

Thanks!

GG

Are you sure she received it?

Yes, I always get delivery confirmation with the post office. I am sure no one's gotten to it yet, seeing that there relatively new and still bringing in more agents--OR--they hated it and are to busy to tell me!

I did send a follow up email to Hannah app. 2 weeks ago, no response on that either.

I guess if they haven't responded by Valentine's Day, it's simply a big fat no!

The advice offered by Nathan Bransford on his blog is that for an overdue requested full manuscript you should send a polite status query once a month until you get an answer.

Thanks Waylander!

On a happier note, I did send a full out to an agency a couple weeks before Foundry. They never responded back or answered my email inquiry either, then on Dec. 9th I recieved a call from them for possible rep., pending the reading of my MS by the final agent. So fingers crossed, this will come through. I've had so many "almosts" its painful. I just got a "reluctant rejection" from Will Entertainment on my full as well.

Somethings gotta give!

GG

figuring it all out
    If Stephen Barbara's made the move here, it has to be legit! Any word on Stephen's query response times now that he's in a new office? I'm wondering if he's slowed down with all the getting settled.

figuring it all out
    Oh, and congratulations, Goblin Girl! How super exciting!! I think I'd be chomping my nails to nubs at this point!
    Last edited by revolocard; 01-20-2009 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by revolocard View Post
    Oh, and congratulations, Goblin Girl! How super exciting!! I think I'd be chomping my nails to nubs at this point!
    Yargggghhh! Thanks, Revolo. Agency told me thier backlogged, so still no word--wait agonizing!!!

GG

figuring it all out
    Backlogged, eh? Has anyone queried Stephen Barbara at the new agency? I'm wondering if his turnaround time is slowed while he's getting settled. I asked this before, but am going to query Stephen tomorrow and am wondering what to expect. Fingers crossed!

Any luck, GoblinGirl?

Backlogged, eh? Has anyone queried Stephen Barbara at the new agency? I'm wondering if his turnaround time is slowed while he's getting settled. I asked this before, but am going to query Stephen tomorrow and am wondering what to expect. Fingers crossed!

Any luck, GoblinGirl?
    They still have my full, since September now. I'm emailed twice, very nicely asking for any kind of update, no response.I have a feeling its either a NO or a NO WAY!!! We'll see...stranger things have happened!

GG

figuring it all out
    I'd be going insane! Poor goblin girl! I think you need a margarita even more than me.

I'd be going insane! Poor goblin girl! I think you need a margarita even more than me.
    Mmmmmm...or a cheery martini...GG's favorite!

Listening to my other selves Erin's Avatar

Any luck, GoblinGirl?
    I queried him on 1/6 after the move and he turned rejection around within a couple of hours.
    DRAGONFLY NIGHTMARE: YA Romantic Suspense - Available Now!
    VIGILANTE NIGHTS: YA Suspense - (Merit Press/F+W Media).

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for FREE eBook, exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast