• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Foundry Literary + Media

Ghanima

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Sara007...I queried using email; pasted everything into the body of the email and let fly. Have nudged, and am waiting to see if I get word back.

Best of luck with your submission...and hope this helps!

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Brandi Bowles on May 16, no response yet. Response rates on query tracker make me think I should requery soon.

Ayles

Still Learning the Ropes.
Registered
Reaction score
Mollie Glick on maternity leave?

Queried Mollie Glick on 10/8 and received an automated response that she was on maternity leave for the fall and that her assistant would be answering her email. Has anyone gotten any response (positive or negative) on queries since Ms. Glick has been on leave? She's one of my top picks so I'm a little disappointed. :(

Vultural

Registered
Reaction score
Like you, Ayles, I received zero human feedback.
I queried Mollie Glick 2012 12 04 and received the auto-reply:

"I will be on maternity leave this Fall. I will not be checking my email regularly, but my assistant, Katie Hamblin, will be able to contact me for any urgent matters. She will also be checking my email daily, and will be in touch with you shortly.

All best wishes,
Mollie"

I waited a week (no reply from assistant KH), replied I would seek elsewhere, and thanked her for her time.

sporter3_99

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody ever resubmitted to Peter McGuigan?

Via snail mail I queried Peter McGuigan for my novel and it was rejected but he did write to me and called my material "interesting." It's still a rejection but it wasn't an anonymous form letter. Makes me think another largely cosmetic rewrite of first section might be in order...

Has anybody ever resubmitted to McGuigan or to this agency generally? Any pointers helpful thanks. It seems like a hands-on, successful agency from what I can gather

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Unless he specifically asked for a rewrite and invited you to resubmit - don't. Especially if he gave you personalized feedback, he'll remember the submission. You generally only get one shot with each agent.

But yes, they are a terrific agency with terrific agents. And if he'd thought there was potential for someone else in the agency to click with what you'd submitted, then he would have passed it along.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
The website says: "Multiple submissions will not be accepted—if you submit to more than one Foundry agent, your materials will be discarded."

Is this the same thing as "a no from one is a no from all" or, instead, don't have active submissions to more than one Foundry agent at a time?

I have a query that will be outstanding for eight weeks next Tuesday and wondering if I can submit to another agent there. (They say that after eight weeks to take no response as a no.)

RedandWolf

Registered
Reaction score
So, I sent my full manuscript to Ms. Gordon at the end of October 2012 (the 23rd, to be precise). Anyone have any idea how long it takes for her to respond back? Because I've been as patient as I can these months, but I'd like to know how much longer I should wait until I send a polite "I am going out my my mind, are you ever going to let me know yes or no?" e-mail. Though I would word it better than that, of course *laughs*

Also, I find it slightly worrisome that I never got the "yeah, manuscript received" e-mail other people are talking about. As if my anxiety about this whole thing wasn't bad enough.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
So, I sent my full manuscript to Ms. Gordon at the end of October 2012 (the 23rd, to be precise). Anyone have any idea how long it takes for her to respond back? Because I've been as patient as I can these months, but I'd like to know how much longer I should wait until I send a polite "I am going out my my mind, are you ever going to let me know yes or no?" e-mail. Though I would word it better than that, of course *laughs*

Also, I find it slightly worrisome that I never got the "yeah, manuscript received" e-mail other people are talking about. As if my anxiety about this whole thing wasn't bad enough.

RedandWolf, I'd say you're well within the acceptable time frame for following up. The general consensus seems to be waiting three to four months, so as long as you're polite and professional (and I'm sure you would be), I don't see any problem with your checking in. Good luck!

P.S. If you haven't already, you might check out Ms. Gordon's listing on QueryTracker.net. It's free to sign up, and then you'll have access to the data submitted by other QT users (such as past response times on requested manuscripts). I found QueryTracker to be an invaluable resource when I was querying.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about Rachel Hecht beyond what it says on the website? I found an interview that focuses on work for adults, but nothing on work for children. I'm trying to choose between projects to send.

MadameApeFace

How do you work this crazy thing?
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm being a bit thick-headed, but I'd rather be safe than sorry...their web site requests a lot of material up front for snail mail submissions (query, synopsis, bio, 3 chapters, SASE,) but it appears that no agents at Foundry are accepting snail mail submissions anyway.

So...do they want all the same things in their e-mail subs? Or just the query letter itself? Can anyone who queried them recently tell me what approach you took?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm being a bit thick-headed, but I'd rather be safe than sorry...their web site requests a lot of material up front for snail mail submissions (query, synopsis, bio, 3 chapters, SASE,) but it appears that no agents at Foundry are accepting snail mail submissions anyway.

So...do they want all the same things in their e-mail subs? Or just the query letter itself? Can anyone who queried them recently tell me what approach you took?

I sent just a query letter via email to Hannah Brown Gordon. Which resulted in a full request.

Supposedly it's perfectly acceptable to send the first five pages (in the body of the email, not as an attachment) along with a query even if the agency doesn't say to. The great thing about email queries is that it's very easy to ask for more materials if they want to see more (unlike with snail-mail).

Aggy, not sure if that's helpful or not

MadameApeFace

How do you work this crazy thing?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Aggy! So long as it worked out for you (and it sounds like it did!) that's all I need to know. I was prepared to err on the side of caution anyway, but it's nice to have the confirmation from someone else, you know?

S. L. Saboviec

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saboviec.com
The website says: "Multiple submissions will not be accepted—if you submit to more than one Foundry agent, your materials will be discarded."

Is this the same thing as "a no from one is a no from all" or, instead, don't have active submissions to more than one Foundry agent at a time?

I have a query that will be outstanding for eight weeks next Tuesday and wondering if I can submit to another agent there. (They say that after eight weeks to take no response as a no.)

I was wondering this same thing. Does anyone know?

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
I think it does mean "a no from one is a no from all." The next paragraph states, "If you do not receive a response within eight weeks, your submission is not right for our lists at this time." "Our lists" indicates all agents' lists.

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score

I have no personal experience with this agency yet, but I wouldn't take that as "a no from one is a no from all." Unless they state it explicitly like The Dystel and Goderich Agency, then I would query another agent. Sometimes agencies don't clarify between multiple and simultaneously submissions, so I would suggest wait about a month and a half to two months after the 8-week period is over and send away. What's the worst that could happen? They say no or don't respond? In several forums here, some AW members have re-queried different agents (with the same project) in agencies that have a "no from one is a no from all" policy after being rejected or not hearing from back the first agent and have been asked for full requests. It's really up to you, but good luck in whatever you do.

Last edited:

Mfraser

Hoping For the Best
Registered
Reaction score
Brandi Bowles

Just thought I'd toss a PSA in this thread.

I queried Brandi Bowles at Foundry for my Urban Fantasy and got an R that said she doesn't do fantasy. Makes me look dumb, I know, but there was nothing I could find that suggested she didn't, so I thought I'd send a query. So for all others looking to query her... she doesn't take fantasy.

all4you33

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writerswhorock.com
I queried Mollie Glick, couple of days later I got a request for a full proposal from her assistant which I sent a week later.

I asked the assistant twice to reply so I know the they received the documents, still no answer. Should I skip the assistant and send the proposal directly to Mollie?
I am very excited about the prospect of working with MG.

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
I'd wait the customary amount of time before resending the material. If your work didn't bounce back, it probably went through. I know not being certain is uncomfortable, but you don't want to appear as a pest. If you haven't heard in a few months, perhaps resend to the assistant and cc Molly. Make sure you note that what you are sending was requested.

Good luck.

all4you33

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writerswhorock.com
I'd wait the customary amount of time before resending the material. If your work didn't bounce back, it probably went through. I know not being certain is uncomfortable, but you don't want to appear as a pest. If you haven't heard in a few months, perhaps resend to the assistant and cc Molly. Make sure you note that what you are sending was requested.

Good luck.

Debbie, thanks so much for your advice. I can afford to be patient. Another agent requested a proposal as well. My nonfiction book is about Grandmothers. Any thoughts about other agents I can approach?

gowiththeflow

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know what Stephen Barbara's response time looks like on full manuscripts these days? I've only been waiting a couple of months, but I'm wondering when I can expect to hear. Thanks!

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
From PW:

Foundry Literary + Media has hired Peter Steinberg as an agent, and Richie Kern as the agency's new director of filmed entertainment.

Previously of the Steinberg Agency, Steinberg's clients include Alicia Silverstone (The Kind Diet), Brad Watson (The Heaven of Mercury, a nominee for the National Book Award), and Keith Donohue (The Boy Who Drew Monsters). At Foundry, Steinberg will focus on a broad array of categories, including narrative nonfiction, commercial and literary fiction, health, humor and young adult.

July Creek

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know what Stephen Barbara's response time looks like on full manuscripts these days? I've only been waiting a couple of months, but I'm wondering when I can expect to hear. Thanks!
I just came across your post. I queried him back in April 2014, sent him my full in mid-May and still haven't heard. I've sent a couple of emails checking in but haven't heard anything back. I'm kind of assuming he's passing. Have you heard anything since you posted this?

gowiththeflow

Registered
Reaction score
I just came across your post. I queried him back in April 2014, sent him my full in mid-May and still haven't heard. I've sent a couple of emails checking in but haven't heard anything back. I'm kind of assuming he's passing. Have you heard anything since you posted this?

No, I haven't heard anything yet, and I nudged as well. But someone just pointed out on his QT comments section that he's no longer listed on Foundry's website (as of yesterday, 11/4, I think). So I'm not sure where this leaves us. Maybe he's left for another agency? Maybe he's starting his own agency? Or maybe he is leaving agenting altogether? Looks like we won't be hearing back too soon, which is a shame because he seems like a fantastic agent!