• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Foundry Literary + Media

July Creek

Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! Thanks for passing that on, I hadn't heard that. I just checked his Twitter -- not to be stalker-y, just wondering if he's posted any news or updates -- and he hasn't posted for about a week.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
EQ to Stephen Barbara 10/9/14

YA Post-Apocalyptic

No response / assuming "no"

July Creek

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry jtrylch13, I'm new to this. What does 'EQ' mean?

I'm with you -- assuming a pass.

oliverwendell

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Peter Steinberg yesterday and got a request for a full today.

As do my happy/nervous dance of joy and panic, I want to plug the Squaw Valley Writers' Conference, which I attended in 2013 and where I met Peter. Squaw has a huge commitment to supporting its attendees. The rule is that if you meet an agent there, you need only mention in the subject line "I met you at Squaw" and your query gets treated as though it were a referral (i.e., it goes to the top of the slush pile). It doesn't guarantee you rep, and I'm biting my nails now that I know he's going to read my whole manuscript, but it's so nice to see that promise being kept that I wanted to get the word out to my fellow AWers to consider attending the Squaw conference (which is one week in the summer every year).

The other agent I met there was Michael Carlisle, and I'm going to query him today.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know if Hannah Brown Gordon should be addressed as Ms. Gordon, or as Ms. Brown-Gordon? Am I wrong to assume the former, since the names aren't hyphenated on the website?

In my querying days, I addressed her as "Ms. Gordon." Like you, I assumed that if the name wasn't hyphenated, she must be using Brown as a middle name of sorts. Similarly, I always addressed my now-agent, Kate Schafer Testerman, as "Ms. Testerman," and it turns out that that's what she prefers (though she doesn't mind being called "Ms. Schafer Testerman," either).

Good luck!

XSnapdragonx

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any recent dealings with this agency or Jessica Regel in particular?

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
From PM:

Sam Morgan has joined Foundry Literary + Media. He was at the JABerwocky Literary Agency, and his clients will be moving with him. He will focus on fantasy, science fiction, and horror.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
From PM:Brandi Bowles has joined United Talent Agency as an agent. Previously, she was an agent for Foundry Literary + Media.

SaraC

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Claire Harris on #MSWL day and she requested 50 pages. I sent them. Her email is a Foundry email, and her bio says she is an editorial assistant, but she isn't listed on the agency website. Her facebook and linked also say she is an editorial assistant, and a few job posting foundry had posted for interns listed her as the contact person. I'm guessing she does actually work for them, and that she is starting to build her own list. Does this seem like a fair assumption? Does anyone know anything else about her?

Any advice about what I should do if she does request more material?

I also noticed other agents at foundry were retweeting her #MSWL tweets, which was why I queried to begin with. It was after that I realized she wasn't listed as an agent on their site.

If she did ask for more material, would it be rude to just ask if she was just starting to build a list or working with one of the agents?

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Wait until you get an offer of rep to ask those questions, but do ask them then. It isn't unreasonable at all to want to know if someone who is brand new is being mentored on the job. After all, agenting requires contacts. Often new agents at reputable houses are a good group of people to query. They won't be too busy for you and they will have support. It's a good sign that the other agents are retweeting.

SaraC

Registered
Reaction score
Wait until you get an offer of rep to ask those questions, but do ask them then. It isn't unreasonable at all to want to know if someone who is brand new is being mentored on the job. After all, agenting requires contacts. Often new agents at reputable houses are a good group of people to query. They won't be too busy for you and they will have support. It's a good sign that the other agents are retweeting.

Thank you! That makes me feel better! I'll wait and see what happens before I go asking questions or worrying anymore.

PMcKnight

Turning caffeine into novels
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is a "one and done" company? The submissions page says "Multiple submissions will not be accepted. If you submit to more than one Foundry agent, your materials will be discarded." But I don't know if that means that you can't do more than one at a time or if it means that a no from one is a no from all.
I really want to query Adriann but I just got a rejection from Sam.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is a "one and done" company? The submissions page says "Multiple submissions will not be accepted. If you submit to more than one Foundry agent, your materials will be discarded." But I don't know if that means that you can't do more than one at a time or if it means that a no from one is a no from all.
I really want to query Adriann but I just got a rejection from Sam.

I haven't queried anyone at Foundry for a while, so take this advice with a grain of salt. As I'm sure you already know, it's never okay to query multiple agents at the same agency at the same time, but in general, I tend to interpret submission policies as broadly as possible. I really dislike the concept of "a no from one of us is a no from all of us." I think those kinds of policies are unfair to writers, since there's no way agents know exactly what their colleagues are looking for and can make those judgment calls on every query they receive. In other words, unless an agency's website uses those words specifically, I think it's okay to query another agent at the same agency once you've gotten a rejection from the first (though I might wait for at least a week or two).

Hope this helps, and good luck!

rusoluchka

Registered
Reaction score
I second Krista's advice. If the agency doesn't specifically say a No from one is a No from all on their submission guidelines then go for it, space out your submission to the other agents.

PMcKnight

Turning caffeine into novels
Registered
Reaction score
awesome sauce, I'll bust out a new query and send it out to the next agent.

thanks!

neurotype

New Fish; Thick Scales
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Adriann Ranta Zurhellen?

I had an R&R with her back in 2011, she was really lovely but ultimately rejected. That was when she was with another agency, if I'm remembering right.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Sam Morgan?

Anyone know what the deal is with him? Is there a deal with him? Formerly of Jabberwocky, now supposedly of Foundry, but he's not listed on Foundry's website. I skimmed through his twitter and couldn't make out where he is, though perhaps I missed it. I don't really know anything about him beyond those details, and he claims to like funny fantasy, so I was trying to research him. This has proven difficult. His twitter seems like he's still very actively promoting some things, but... beats me for who. His personal website also implies he's still with Foundry.

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He must have very recently left Foundry. I am sure he was listed on their website in December 2018.