• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Foundry Literary + Media

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Just an FYI that Mollie Glick has moved from Jean V. Naggar Literary Agency to Foundry + Media as of 9/8.

Repunzel

Registered
Reaction score
Just got a rejection from Foundry on a full - a form letter. Ouch!

Yeah, they typed in my name and the title, but a form is a form. I've never been dissed in this manner from any other agency - always had some personal feedback, helpful comments.

FYI I sent the original query plus 3 chapters June 10th, received request for a full on July 31 and got the R today. Hannah Gordon requested the additional material.

billyf027

Registered
Reaction score
Just got a rejection from Foundry on a full - a form letter. Ouch!

Yeah, they typed in my name and the title, but a form is a form. I've never been dissed in this manner from any other agency - always had some personal feedback, helpful comments.

FYI I sent the original query plus 3 chapters June 10th, received request for a full on July 31 and got the R today. Hannah Gordon requested the additional material.

Was it exclusive to them for all that time?

Repunzel

Registered
Reaction score
Movieannouncerguy - Thanks for the sympathy.

billy027 - NO - it was never an exclusive. They didn't ask for one so I've been sending it out - not a lot because it was summer and I was still rewriting the query.

Funny thing is, the query I sent to Foundry was actually pretty bad. Was very surprised to get the request for a full. The other 8 agents I sent that exact query to couldn't reject it fast enough. This is a weird business.

Repunzel

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know how independently these agents work one from another? Mollie read a full of a previous manuscript and was very helpful, but I've already been rejected by an agent at Foundry on current manuscript. Not sure if I can submit to Molly in a few months.

Prevostprincess

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.queenoftheroadthebook.com
If an agent told you on a past ms that even though she was passing, she'd like to see something in the future from you, I wouldn't worry about it, just because she's changed agencies where the ms has been passed on by another agent. Unless agencies specifically state not to submit to more than one agent, it shouldn't be a problem, anyway.

My understanding is that for the agencies that do have a problem with this, it's because if a certain agent passes on a ms, but thinks someone else at the agency is right for it, he or she will send it along/discuss it at an agency meeting. Since the agent you want to submit to now wasn't at this agency months ago, it's a moot point.

shellyli

Registered
Reaction score
I have worked with Yfat Reiss Gendell before. She is smart, nice, and very responsive. I did 3 revisions with her before she decided that my work wasn't for her, but it was through all those revisions that I improved my writing. Two days after she turned me down for representation, I sold my first short story to Nature magazine. But... Foundry is definitely a top notch literary agency. They're professional and have a lot of depth in the publishing industry.

hootie

Registered
Reaction score
rebecca Serle

Hi all,
I queried Yfat Reiss Gendell, and got a request from a Rebecca Serle. Wasn't sure if she is Gendell's assistant or a junior agent of some sort. Any info or experience out there amongst the gang? Regardless, I am psyched!

elroy

Registered
Reaction score
Chiming in on the Foundry thread w/a request

I just got a request for a partial from Stephanie Abou of Foundry. She actually asked for a proposal as mine's non-fiction, but I told her I have the first 8 chapters all polished and ready to go. So I sent 3 chaps. as a teaser. Waiting to see. Not much on them, but at least I don't see anything incendiary. She did ask for an exclusive. What's the thinking on exclusives here??

For those who are following my life's story (and I'm sure that's pretty much everyone here...yeah right!), I'm dipping back in the waters after a year wasted with "another agent" who signed me and did zip, zero, zilch. See this link to another absolutewrite topic about this agent

crossing fingers and toes.....thanks for everyone's support!!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Stephen Barbara has joined Foundry from Don Maass

GoblinGirl

loves creamed corn with bacon
Registered
Reaction score
Delay at Foundry??

Hannah Gordon Brown requested my full back in September, after reading the first 50 page, still w/no word. Has anyone had a similar experience with them or know if they're backlogged?

Thanks!

GG

GoblinGirl

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I always get delivery confirmation with the post office. I am sure no one's gotten to it yet, seeing that there relatively new and still bringing in more agents--OR--they hated it and are to busy to tell me!

I did send a follow up email to Hannah app. 2 weeks ago, no response on that either.

I guess if they haven't responded by Valentine's Day, it's simply a big fat no!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The advice offered by Nathan Bransford on his blog is that for an overdue requested full manuscript you should send a polite status query once a month until you get an answer.

GoblinGirl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Waylander!

On a happier note, I did send a full out to an agency a couple weeks before Foundry. They never responded back or answered my email inquiry either, then on Dec. 9th I recieved a call from them for possible rep., pending the reading of my MS by the final agent. So fingers crossed, this will come through. I've had so many "almosts" its painful. I just got a "reluctant rejection" from Will Entertainment on my full as well.

Somethings gotta give!

GG

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
If Stephen Barbara's made the move here, it has to be legit! Any word on Stephen's query response times now that he's in a new office? I'm wondering if he's slowed down with all the getting settled.

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and congratulations, Goblin Girl! How super exciting!! I think I'd be chomping my nails to nubs at this point!

Last edited:

GoblinGirl

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and congratulations, Goblin Girl! How super exciting!! I think I'd be chomping my nails to nubs at this point!

Yargggghhh! Thanks, Revolo. Agency told me thier backlogged, so still no word--wait agonizing!!! :e2smack:

GG

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
Backlogged, eh? Has anyone queried Stephen Barbara at the new agency? I'm wondering if his turnaround time is slowed while he's getting settled. I asked this before, but am going to query Stephen tomorrow and am wondering what to expect. Fingers crossed!

Any luck, GoblinGirl?

GoblinGirl

Registered
Reaction score
Backlogged, eh? Has anyone queried Stephen Barbara at the new agency? I'm wondering if his turnaround time is slowed while he's getting settled. I asked this before, but am going to query Stephen tomorrow and am wondering what to expect. Fingers crossed!

Any luck, GoblinGirl?

They still have my full, since September now. I'm emailed twice, very nicely asking for any kind of update, no response.:cry:I have a feeling its either a NO or a NO WAY!!! :D We'll see...stranger things have happened!

GG

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be going insane! Poor goblin girl! I think you need a margarita even more than me.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com

Any luck, GoblinGirl?

I queried him on 1/6 after the move and he turned rejection around within a couple of hours.