• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Content site] Helium

IrishScribbler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coffee-stainedwriter.blogspot.com
Hello.

I did a search for info about Helium.com to discover whether or not it's credible, but couldn't find anything in the Index. Does anyone have any information (positive or negative) about this site? If it has been posted, can someone direct me to the appropriate thread?

Thank you so much for your help!

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know if it's been discussed here but I remember looking at their site a while ago and thinking "Phhht!" It wasn't a place where I felt comfortable enough to offer my writing.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a big sticky in the Freelance forum that has links to discussions on Helium and similar sites such as Associated Content and Constant Content:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16659
The short-short conclusion about these sites is that they pay very little, and that being 'published' on them isn't considered REAL publication, because they generally always accept submissions (I suppose really badly written or nonsense articles or ones with too many misspellings get rejected, but from reading a few articles on these sites, their standards look a LOT lower than what a real publisher would have).

Leva

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a big sticky in the Freelance forum that has links to discussions on Helium and similar sites such as Associated Content and Constant Content:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16659
The short-short conclusion about these sites is that they pay very little, and that being 'published' on them isn't considered REAL publication, because they generally always accept submissions (I suppose really badly written or nonsense articles or ones with too many misspellings get rejected, but from reading a few articles on these sites, their standards look a LOT lower than what a real publisher would have).

Take a look at their TOS, also. It has some things in it that I didn't particularly like.

Isadoredog

Registered
Reaction score
Helium

Does anyone know anything about Helium, the online web site that claims to share its advertising revenue with writers who contribute there?

http://corp.helium.com/about/whatishelium.aspx?username=isadoredog&user_id=287761

I found the site on craigslist advertising for full time or part time writers and when I travelled to the website and learned how they "reward" their writers it felt off.

I am going to trust my gut unless someone has other information about it.

Thanks!

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
It's more of a community site with a tad of ad revenue. I put a couple of articles up as an experiment a few months back. I think I may have hit the $0.60 mark so far! I suppose other people may have had better experiences than I have.

Isadoredog

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Tifferbugz. I am going to stay away since their advertisement sounded for all the world like they were looking to pay writers for each and every article that the site "bought". Seems the site allows everything and can fall back on not having any ad interest.

Ren

I'm not clever enough for this...
Registered
Reaction score
I put five or six articles up..... in June and July...... I'm not sure exactly what my "earnings" are but I know they haven't hit a dollar yet. Also, the website gets the rights to anything you post. Forever.

That was my biggest reason for giving it up. I'm not going to post good work for a few cents, and never be able to use it again.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Previous thread: <snipped>

There's also discussion of Helium and similar sites on the Freelance forum.

Last edited:

jeffchele

Super Opus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffsreviews.com
The short-short conclusion about these sites is that they pay very little, and that being 'published' on them isn't considered REAL publication, because they generally always accept submissions.

I think you may be understating this a bit, okay alot. I publish my work at Associated Content and work very hard at it. If you check out any of my work there, just Google Jeff Gedgaud, you will see that I do work and get published.

You should not mistake the fact that they accept a lot of submissions and post them with the fact that it is not considered being published. I have been publishing on Associated Content for some time and if you don't think the marketing and manufacturing companies who give me the products I review don't consider it a real publishing site than why are they giving me the stuff in the first place.

REAL publishing is getting paid for writing, whether it be a few dollars or a ton of money for a book. Every author or writer has to start some where and sites like Associated Content are a fantastic stepping stone.

Why would you not consider it being REAL publishing, the couple of hundred dollars I get every month from my work in upfront payments and monthly page view payments sure mean a lot to me and my family.

crazie_eddie

I have a friend who has made money with Helium, not a fortune, but it is something. She says you have to enter contests and utilize the Marketplace.

We won't get rich, but then again, we don't have to commute.....

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What are your opinions on Helium.com?

It's a site where you submit your writing and get paid for it. But I have read blogs about some writer who's been writing for Helium for years and he still didn't get paid. I was told to stay away from that site, they are known to sell what they write without mentioning the authors name. And maybe oneday your story ends up in a book store, without you knowing about it.

What are your opinions about Helium? When I heard what happened about them plagarizing my material, I wanted to remove it, but I can't. I don't know how.

If they promise you money, but they didnt give it to you, should you sue? And should you sue Helium for not removing your material, that belongs to YOU?

Rowdymama

Dogzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Beware - helium

After writing a dozen or more articles for helium, I have twice requested to get paid, but no money and no answers to my several inquiries has been forthcoming. Anybody had this problem with them?

Rowdymama

Dogzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Beware of Helium

Check it out at ripoffreport. Helium has refused to pay the money owed me after numerous reuests, nor will it answer the emails I've sent. If you write for helium, don't count on getting paid any time soon.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I recently researched a story (the Penlee Lifeboat Disaster). Google searches led me to two articles on Helium.com that dealt with the story.

Neither was well-written.

Both contained substantial errors of fact.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
[Content site] Helium Publishing

This afternoon the following appeared in my email:

May 14, 2014
You are receiving this email because you have been identified as either an active or inactive Helium Publishing community member.

NOTICE: The Helium Publishing 360 sites will be available on a read-only basis effective May 21, 2014 and will continue to be available on a read-only basis until December 15, 2014. During this period, if you have an existing Account, you will continue to have access to your Account and accrue potential earnings, but you will not be able to add more content to the Helium Publishing 360 sites or create a new Account. If you have attained the Minimum Payout Threshold, which currently is set at $25.00, we strongly encourage you to withdraw your earnings because the Helium Publishing 360 sites will terminate on 12/15/14 and you will no longer have access to your Account.
Dear Helium Community,

After eight years and well over one million articles, we regret to announce that Helium Publishing will be closing. Here are the key dates that impact you:

May 21, 2014

• the Helium Publishing 360 sites will become "read only" and no article changes or revisions will be possible
  • no new work can be completed or created in the Helium Network dashboard
  • new member registration for Helium Publishing 360 sites will cease

December 15, 2014

• advertising revenue share will cease
  • you will no longer be able to access your Account
  • all 27 of the Helium Publishing 360 sites will shut down and your articles will not be available via the microsites
  • access to the Helium Network dashboard and your ability to retrieve your Helium Publishing articles, message others, and request payment will be terminated

What about my earnings? Your Account will be accessible until December 15, 2014 so that you can view and (if applicable) request a final payout. Your tax ID and a valid PayPal account are required to process and receive payment. Details about accrual and earnings can be found in the FAQs, available in Announcements and in the Helium discussion forum.

What about my open assignments? The workflow portion of the Helium Network will be disabled on May 21, 2014, and you will not be able to work on any assignments.

What happens to my articles? You may download your work by following the instructions available in Announcements and in the Helium discussion forum.

What if I have questions? You'll be able to reach us through the Helium HelpDesk and Helium discussion forums. In addition, an FAQ is available in the discussion forum and in the Helium Network dashboard.

For many of you, Helium Publishing has been more than a place to hone your writing skills; it's been a place to call home, a community to connect with friends and like-minded creatives. Thank you for making Helium a nurturing space for new and emerging writers. It's been an amazing and gratifying journey, and we're grateful you were part of it all. Good luck in your future writing endeavors.
Very sincerely,
The Helium Publishing Team

Years ago I had a few articles published by them; frankly I'd forgotten they were still around.

Anyway, FYI.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Updating URL: https://www.heliumnetwork.com/

"Publishing 360" was replaced with RRD Content Source, for which I'm not finding any activity after early '15. Anyone still work for them?