MySpace and Producers Guild team-up for "Story Teller Challenge Contest"

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Now THIS news item is little startling. It involves the Producers Guild of America. But it seems the future of film is shifting toward the net. Or at least a hunk of its future.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2007\07\30\story_30-7-2007_pg6_16

Aspiring filmmakers in MySpace contest

Monday, July 30, 2007

MySpace announced it has teamed with the Producers Guild of America in a contest giving amateur video makers a chance to get into the television show business.

MySpace and Fox Broadcasting Company, both owned by News Corp., along with the guild said ‘The Story Teller Challenge’ competition is designed to recruit a new generation of talent to television programming.

“The Storyteller Challenge gives aspiring producers the potential opportunity to cut through Hollywood’s red-tape and get an audience with top brass in the television business,” said MySpace chief executive Chris DeWolfe.

Aspiring producers will be able to upload original five to seven-minute television series ‘pilots’ to a dedicated MySpace page beginning September 4.

Users of the popular social-networking website will be able to vote for their favorite videos, interact with creators, suggest plot lines and critique entries.

The makers of the six videos with the most votes as of January 6, 2008 will get trips to Hollywood, where they will pitch their ideas to judges who will pick two winners, MySpace said. The winners will each get $25,000 and an opportunity to make television show deals with Fox, it said.

“One of the most exciting aspects of working in entertainment today is that you never know where the next great storyteller will come from,” said guild president Marshall Herskovitz. “Make no mistake, producing will always be a difficult and competitive job, but I’m proud that our Storyteller Challenge will give unique new voices the chance to find their audience.” afp

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Seems like more of a new tool in the pitching process. My worry is that the results will be weighted on the side of young men who'll vote for the shows with the most boob in the mix. But that's just me.

it'll still be only one way of pitching and it might be a great opportunity for writers and producers.

Bring it on, I guess.