The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Arcade Publishing

smart enough to know better

Arcade Publishing

Anyone here have the misfortune of talking to these folks on the phone? They need a serious lesson in manners. Any of y'all had dealings with them?

DPE

Who's the publisher? Do you have a link to their site? It would help folks here identify them.
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Do you mean ARCADE Publishing?
    www.arcadepub.com
    GT

I think the information in the OP is really lacking. If you want to give specifics, that's great. But, no offense, what you have here is pretty much useless.

Okay, sorry for the typo, but I was really pissed when I wrote it. I was wondering if anyone had a bad experience with Arcade Publishing. My partner had called them on a routine matter and was met with rudeness, evasiveness and no answer to her question.

The company had requested manuscripts from us in the past, and my partner was taken aback by their hostile response.

(This is a company that has a very good reputation in the industry and I've talked to at least one author who is published with them. He is happy with their treatment of him, so far.)

When my partner was asked to email her question, they claimed they didn't remember the phone call, even though the email was sent a minute after she hung up, and they answered it immediately.

It's the only publisher EVER that's treated us like that. We talk every day with the editors from the big New York houses and are greeted with cheery hellos and how are yas.

Perhaps they were having a really bad day, but it's no excuse for the rudeness.

D

practical experience, FTW Sunnyside's Avatar
    Arcade is my publisher, and in my experience, they've been nothing but pleasant and professional. Hate to hear that, though -- I'll bring it to my editor's attention.
    Brian
    www.brianjayjones.com

Washington Irving (Arcade, 2008)
    Winner of the St. Nicholas Society of New York's Medal for Literary Excellence
    Jim Henson: The Biography (Ballantine, 2013)
    A New York Times Bestseller
    Winner of the Goodreads Choice Award, Best Biography of 2013
    A Bookpage Book of the Year
    One of CNN's Top 10 Books of the Year
    George Lucas: A Life (Little, Brown, 2016)
    Coming December 6 to a galaxy near you.

Yeah, that does sound odd, especially with the immediate email answer. It almost sounds like someone else answered the phone.

(Strangely enough, I had a dream last night where I was at my wife's work sitting at somebody's desk and the phone rang so I answered it. They were asking me all these questions I didn't know and I was doing the take down the number and get back to you routine.)

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    It's summer. Maybe it's an intern or the office junior subbing for the receptionist, and they haven't yet learned proper phone manners. See if the problem persists.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

Hope not. We have manuscripts with them. My partner is still trying to cool off. It was really surreal.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I have submitted to them in the past and have had nothing but courteous treatment. Your experience may have been a fluke, which can happen anywhere. Let us know if it persists and do bring it to the attn. of an editor.
    Gina

Strangely enough, folks, my partner's latest communication with them was a 180 from the former. Maybe they read these forums or an author clued them in.

dp

I'm reading it right now, and it reads to me just as you said. I don't think you're being a buffoon in any way.

It could be a snarky way to get impatient authors to wait, a cynical way to deal with importunate authors who simply won't wait, or a mercenary stab at monetizing the slush pile. No matter why, it doesn't seem a policy likely in any way to enhance their reputation.
    Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters.

Arcade has this to say on their submissions page: "Unfortunately, due to the volume of queries, we will not be able to respond to everyone. However, you may request an immediate review (two business days) for a $100 rush fee, payable by check in advance."

Interesting. I wonder how new this offer is. Same statement on the Skyhorse imprint submissions page.

figuring it all out
    Sent a manuscript submission in August and still no response. I think I'll write this one off as a no.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Just a note that they/Skyhorse dropped the "rush fee" pretty quickly.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: