Last Movie You Watched...

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
I saw PS I love you and wasn't thrilled with it. I think I needed more blood if any at all...

Speaking of blood, I watched Eastern Promises last night. . . it was....okay.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Jesus Camp. (a documentary) Zoinkies. Just . . . zoinkies.

We were so, uh, horrified etc. that we watched Beetlejuice afterward as an antidote. By comparison to the first, Beetlejuice is a paragon of normalcy.

Last edited:

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Corpse Bride.

Great score, love the art, sweet story. And it has ZOMBIES. What else could a girl want?

That is a favorite in our family. I saw it in theater release and have watched it at home several times since. A masterpiece, imo. It took Burton ten years to complete, if I remember correctly.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
We Are Marshall.

I liked it, but I think it was missing something. Not quite sure what, though. I know it was based on a true story, but I felt somewhat disconnected from the characters. The director, McG, is better known for his action films (Charlie's Angels, frex), so I don't think he quite knew how to handle the personal interactions.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Atonement (again), but this time with a date. ;) We went in a little late and the whole theater was packed. Every seat was taken and we had to sit at the very first row. It's embarrassing. But no complaint.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
Atonement (again), but this time with a date. ;) We went in a little late and the whole theater was packed. Every seat was taken and we had to sit at the very first row. It's embarrassing. But no complaint.

Really? Is it that good?

I watched LIVE FREE or DIE HARD this night....I love that damn movie. Had the surround sound on. It was awesome!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Well, it was great. But it's also because it was one of the only two theaters in town showing the film (although they have two screens showing at that theater), and it was a Saturday, and it was relatively warm. I was surprised to see a long line when I got there (most people were buying tickets to either Atonement or Juno). Being at the front of the theater, we had the privilege to walk past everyone when we came out -- it's interesting to see people's faces when the lights were up...

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. Quiet and full of tension throughout, with a mesmerising performance from Richard Burton.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. Didn't draw me in particularly; felt flat most of the time. It was good to see Jack Davenport's character given some good proactive action to do.

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
SECRETS AND LIES (DVD)

This is my second viewing, and I believe I enjoyed it even more this time.

I can imagine someone watching the first hour and waiting for something to happen. That wasn't my reaction, not at all, but I can see it. It says right on the DVD cover that a black girl finds out she's got a white mom, so you're waiting for them to meet. Meanwhile the filmmaker is laying all the other subtext, and doing it very well. High context communication, unspoken undertones, extremely true to life, the secrets and lies of the title. It's all good. And if you can't keep up with everything -- I could -- don't worry. Just wait for it, friends. It won Best Picture and Best Actress at Cannes for a reason.

Since the blurb gave away a big plot spoiler, I guess you'd call it, let me give away the rest. The black girl is university educated and upper class, and the white mother is a factory worker and an alcoholic. We have class differences as well as racial ones, British style with those various and sundry accents, and at no point does anyone state it because this is subtle. We bring a whole lot of subtexts into play, but you as the viewer have to spot them all, because the filmmaker credits you with having a brain.

I laughed a lot at the awkward moments. Awkward is a great word for this movie. The major players often feel awkward for obvious reasons, and I haven't told you most of those, but then we have the secretary who suddenly hears all the family secrets -- not her family -- and the guy who's just getting into the youngest daughter's pants -- surely hearing all this shit wasn't in his plans. Even the way he gets into her pants is awkward, but I digress. Every actor portrays his or her role to perfection, and the writing is flawless.

Eventually, the shit hits the fan and everybody just spills their guts and unloads and the viewer is stuck with a breathless "holy shit" reaction that words cannot do justice to. It's exhausting. If you don't know the difference between drama and melodrama, or real life and a soap opera, you need to watch this film. It's most definitely the good stuff.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
The Guardian. It was riveting, despite that I'd seen a spoiler of the end somewhere beforehand. LOVE Kevin Costner, and you can't go wrong with Ashton Kutcher. Even though he's skinny.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
I saw the end of Waitress, Turkey Lurkey, so I really didn't bother watching the beginning.

I'm in the middle of the Ghost Hunters marathon of dvds.

Jgrasso

"Who killed the electric car". It is a documentary about the mid 90's car EV1, this car ran purley on electricity it was an amazing vehicle. But the oil companies, and car companies decided it would take money away from their market! look into this documentary and hopefully we can see cars like this again

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
"Who killed the electric car". It is a documentary about the mid 90's car EV1, this car ran purley on electricity it was an amazing vehicle. But the oil companies, and car companies decided it would take money away from their market! look into this documentary and hopefully we can see cars like this again
We already are.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. Quiet and full of tension throughout, with a mesmerising performance from Richard Burton.
I watched that again a week or so ago.

It is Burton at his weary best.
It's also worth noting that it sticks almost word for word to the book.
Marvellous

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Passenger 57 with Wesley Snipes...not an academy award winner by any means but mindless entertainment for 80 minutes :)

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
On Saturday we did a Lord of the Rings (extended versions) marathon with the college group in the church's movie theater room on. I brought my 8-year-old son and we were there from 10:00 am to 1:00 am. Yesterday I found him watching The Two Towers in the play room and I nearly puked.