Last Movie You Watched...

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Manchester by the Sea - Lurved it! :heart:

Lurved that it was gritty and realistic and depressing, yet ever-so-slightly amusing, and it didn't have the typical Hollywood ending.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Netflix DVD: Assassin's Creed. finally got to see it. was pretty cool. i think i like the games better though.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Castle of the Dead (Christopher Lee, 1964). Evil Count (Lee in a pound of black eye makeup) performs experiments in taxidermy + immortality. Lures traveling actors to castle. The expected happens. Funniest scene: Lee reads death service over one actor's grave. As he recites: In a moment; in the twinkling of an eye" one of his minions shoots another character in the eye. (Really; it was funny. The movie isn't that good.)

Includes odd performances by Lee and a young Donald Sutherland, way too much screaming, and taxidermied victims on human-sized versions of Barbie doll stands.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Life w Reynolds and Gyllenhaal.

It's a pretty standard "Bunch of people stuck in an enclosed space with a monster who's picking them off one at a time" trope. Other than the special effects, nothing memorable. And the "surprise twist" at the end was cheesy.

Not a fan.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Resident Evil the final chapter - 5/10

Sorry but I spent the whole time counting cliches and too-obvious "surprises". One or two interesting revelations at the end (ruined by poor makeup).

For fans only.

kdesanges

Registered
Reaction score
2017 The Mummy. Not bad, better than I expected. A little comedy in a Mummy movie is never a bad thing. Tom Cruise pulled it off okay.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Us too. Our son raved about it. We were "eh." A good bit of lighthearted fun to end the weekend. Music was okay. I rate all Disney musicals by Hercules, whose music was a 35/10 even tho the savaging of Greek mythology made me :Headbang:
I thought the music was okay overall, although "Shiny" was somewhat disappointing (especially since I'm a fan of Jemaine Clement). I really liked all the stuff they got right, though - centering Moana and giving her actual agency that drove the plot AND the resolution, not throwing in an unnecessary romance, and avoiding the simplistic good-vs-evil dichotomy that made Hercules such a trash fire (aside from the music, of course :)).

It also gave me a chance to make my 16yo throw a cushion at my head, when I commented, "Man, the ocean's getting salty." :greenie

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Picked up The Lego Batman Movie on DVD. Still hilarious, though the dialog was sometimes harder to pick out on TV speakers. (I swear it's deliberate, to make you invest in expensive sound systems.) The many homages to Adam West's incarnation took on a new air this time around... We'd seen it on the big screen, but Dad hadn't, and he enjoyed it. Worth the price of the DVD.

We're still looking forward to the Ninjago movie. (That and Valerian are the only two I think I'm anticipating in the last half of the year, and maybe Pixar's Coco, though the latter feels more derivative than I expect from Pixar: kinda like Kubo with a touch of Corpse Bride and a Book of Life aesthetic. Could just be an unfortunately lackluster preview, though...)

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Transformers (the new one in theaters.)

Spooky

Even the sphinx has eyes O_O
Registered
Reaction score
Event Horizon, it doesn't quite qualify for greatness but it is a damn good one for stirring up much merriment of macabrement! The best part is where they manage to get the visuals working regarding what went down with the old crew of that doomed spaceship, pause on some of those wacky scenes, you can see all sorts of f-ed up gore-gibberish, it's truly monumental!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Lucy (again, and severely hampered by commercial interruptions on TV). My takeaways on the rewatch were:
1. Johanssen is severely underrated as an actor
2. WAY too much sledgehammer symbolism and plot points so obvious all they lacked was a neon sign on-screen
3. I love how Johanssen took out all the bastards who beat up and tortured her
4. The ending, while it made sense within the storyline, still struck me as over the top
5. I'd watch it again anyway because of Johanssen's terrific performance

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Lucy (again, and severely hampered by commercial interruptions on TV). My takeaways on the rewatch were:
1. Johanssen is severely underrated as an actor
2. WAY too much sledgehammer symbolism and plot points so obvious all they lacked was a neon sign on-screen
3. I love how Johanssen took out all the bastards who beat up and tortured her
4. The ending, while it made sense within the storyline, still struck me as over the top
5. I'd watch it again anyway because of Johanssen's terrific performance

yeah...i didn't like the ending. but i did like the rest of the movie. i did a movie with her, so yeah....i'm a fan and really enjoy her work. she's amazing as Black Widow.

i'm watching RINGS right now (the new one with Johnny Galecki from BBT)

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The Eagle Huntress. Beautiful scenery, gorgeous animals, fascinating action, a wonderful father-daughter relationship, and a wholly delightful young heroine -- and it's all real!

(According to the creators, the only scene that was at all staged was one where they suggested a certain conversation be held outside rather than indoors, which the people were very happy to do. Everything else: really happened that way, very few retakes. And the most amazing action scene, where she climbs a mountain to capture her eaglet in its nest, was a single take on the very first day of filming!)

She has apparently won the eagle hunter competition a couple times since the movie. But I hope she does go on to become a doctor like she wanted.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Cave (Netflix). Because I was writing and watching, at first I couldn't figure out why it sounded "off." When I stopped writing to give full attention to a scene, I realized it was dubbed. Yuck. I hate dubbing. The movie was pitched as horror, but I would've called it suspense.

Last edited:

shivadyne

brushing off the diamond dust
Registered
Reaction score
didn't finish it, but i was watching my bloody valentine (the 2009 one) with a friend... it was rather confusing, but entertaining in its ridiculousness.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Mr Lily put on "If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium" (TCM). The kindest comment I can make is "dated and not my style of humor." The real comment I want to make requires a gif of someone throwing a shoe through a TV.

And today, Farhope Tower (Netflix). "Hey, gang, let's make a ghost hunting TV show!" Its single saving grace: almost no shaky cam.

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Wakefield based on a Doctorow story. I liked it, but I think I'll prefer reading it.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Needed something to unwind my brain, so I watched School of Rock on a free streaming site. Somewhat predictable plotline, with a few stereotypes/cliches, but it's got a good heart and real energy to it, and the big show at the end manages to lift it with a nice payoff. The kids hold their own against Jack Black, who is clearly having a ball in his role as the rocker who refuses to give up the dream. Enjoyable as a rental or freebie, though I don't know if I'd have liked it in theaters as much.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Echo Park, ​yeah, no. Turned it off about eight hours ago, and I'll bet still nothing's happened. Love the neighborhood, though.