Registered
Reaction score
Twister. I've been going through all my favorite Bill Paxton movies. *sigh*

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Logan. Whew...it is an OUTSTANDING movie. This is the 8th time Hugh Jackman has played Wolverine over 17 years. That's longer than any actor has played James Bond. It's a hard "R" and it does an excellent job of showing in vivid detail what exactly happens to the human body when someone with unbreakable adamantium claws uses them. It is bloody, violent as hell, strangely compelling with outstanding performances from Jackman and Patrick Stewart.

There are no concessions made to comic books, to fan service and nerd culture. It barely qualifes as "superhero" flick at all. If it reminds me of anytihing it reminds me of Unforgiven and the emotions it stirred in me when it was over reminded me of how I felt after seeing Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List and 12 Years A Slave.

Yeah---it's THAT good. If there's any justice in this world, Logan won't be forgotten when it comes time to hand out Oscars for Best Picture, Best Actor and Best Director. Seriously.

:hooray::Thumbs::Hail::Trophy::yessmiley:TheWave:

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Logan. Whew...it is an OUTSTANDING movie. This is the 8th time Hugh Jackman has played Wolverine over 17 years. That's longer than any actor has played James Bond. It's a hard "R" and it does an excellent job of showing in vivid detail what exactly happens to the human body when someone with unbreakable adamantium claws uses them. It is bloody, violent as hell, strangely compelling with outstanding performances from Jackman and Patrick Stewart.

There are no concessions made to comic books, to fan service and nerd culture. It barely qualifes as "superhero" flick at all. If it reminds me of anytihing it reminds me of Unforgiven and the emotions it stirred in me when it was over reminded me of how I felt after seeing Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List and 12 Years A Slave.

Yeah---it's THAT good. If there's any justice in this world, Logan won't be forgotten when it comes time to hand out Oscars for Best Picture, Best Actor and Best Director. Seriously.

:hooray::Thumbs::Hail::Trophy::yessmiley:TheWave:

here's hoping that Ryan Reynolds plays Deadpool LONGER and NEVER gets tired of the character....LOL

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently watching Slither and although it's not as funny as some horror/comedies (yet) it's had its moments.

And I shall dare to say this - at the risk of being hung high - I saw Deadpool last weekend and wasn't impressed. I've seen a film which subverts the Superhero genre much more effectively - They Call Me JEEG Robot - and, for me Deadpool fell flat humour-wise on the gore front, which I suspect was intended to be funny.

Last edited:

possiblerobot

Your friendly neighborhood robot
Registered
Reaction score
I was recently forced into watching You Before Me by my mother, aunt, and grandmother. I'm not a big fan of that sort of romantic movie, but it sort of reminded me of The Fault in Our Stars, a book that I quite enjoyed.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saint Ralph. It was cute in places, but overall annoyed me. I loved Meg Tilly's performance though.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
I watched Teen Titans: Trouble in Toyko. Does that count as a movie?

only if it's REALLY close to being 2hrs long.
since these days....sometimes tv series air episodes that are 1 hr to 1 and 1/2 hrs long...LOL (including commercials....)

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Logan. Probably the best comic book movie I've ever seen.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Pete's Dragon. Better than I expected. I wanted a comfort movie cause I don't feel well, but Jurassic Park is reserved for tomorrow. Is it weird that I always watch it when I'm sick? Always figured I'll feel bad, but never as bad as Gennaro when he gets chomped by Rexy. Anyway. PD is interesting mainly because the titular dragon gets so much screentime, and is very well animated. I'm a sucker for a high quality movie monster. The big action scene is particularly impressive imo.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Got out to see The Lego Batman Movie today (yeah, I know - a bit late to the party.) Quite enjoyable movie with more layers than I expected, with many laugh-out-loud moments. About on par with The Lego Movie in terms of humor, plotting, and impressive Lego brick-like animation. Audience was a bit restive, but I think most had seen it before and were using it as filler entertainment for kids who didn't want to see Beauty and the Beast.

EternalOptimist

Registered
Reaction score
I watched Logan recently. It was actually better than I thought it would be. I really enjoyed the parts with Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart. The young actress, Dafne Keen, was great too!

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Beasterday or Here Comes Peter Cottonhell:

If you like schlocky / campy monster movies with melodramatic overacting from cliche characters, a nebulous stock plot and a special effects budget of less than $35 then it's worth a laugh. The star of the show is the monster a giant, "rabbit," that sounded like an asthmatic dinosaur, looked like a second grade art project of a paper mache rabbit painted with glue and then rolled around on a barber's floor. It's movement defied all biology and physics and despite being barely able to move could chase down healthy people. The music was actually done well. It wasn't particularly memorable but fit the scenes and was never obnoxious.

Ooh and if you watch it, watch the arterial blood spurts from severed limbs...Hilarious

Last edited:

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Lego Batman. Will Arnett nails it. Lots of in-jokes, great voice work...overall, fun.
Latest Kong flick. Entertaining. Lots of CGI slithery chompy thingies running around and digesting people. Fun, overall, sorta cheesy in spots script-wise, nice set-up for a showdown against Godzilla--maybe, and I had a flashback to the 1962 movie which was REALLY cheesy/funny--or another sequel.
Purgatory, a 1999 flick I caught on YouTube. Twilight Zone meets the Western. More than a few plotholes, some BS portrayals of real-life figures, but overall, not bad. Enjoyed it.