Last Movie You Watched...

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
John Wick: Chapter Two: Keanu Reeves is a blank slate as an actor which makes him perfect to play Wick, the relentless hitman who is out of retirement and putting legions of thugs down for a permanent dirt nap with an arsenal of guns, knives, hand-to-hand fighting skills and a car when necessary to get the job done.

Hyper-violent with lots of double-taps to the head and all the resultant carnage of such deeds, this movie doesn't make a lick of sense, but it's fun, fast and has a ton of "HOLY SHIT!" moments. My son's arm is probably bruised from me punching on it.

Not for the kiddies or anti-violence freaks, but if you're a fan of the Divine and Deadly Art of Gun-Fu, Keanu is your man. :guns:

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
The Good Dinosaur.

The previews made it look pretty bland despite the gorgeous Pixar quality. It's actually pretty entertaining. Loved the t-rexes being good guys for once. :) That scene was awesome. Worth a watch.

Poppies

Delicious potato pancakes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poppywrites.com
The Beauty Inside

On his 18th birthday, a young man discovers that he has the ability to transform into a different person every day, or every time he falls asleep. As a heterosexual, he only goes out to meet women when he's transformed into a handsome man. He eventually meets a pretty girl, there's love at first sight for him, but it takes a bit to persuade and convince her that he's worth the frustration. This movie is a lot better than I've described, but it also leaves a lot of details about his ability out.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Went to see 'Split'. James McAvoy is astonishingly good. Amazing really. And it's a very good, tense thriller.

Disassociative Identity Disorder is widely challenged among mental health professionals, and there's the problematic issue of a mental illness arguably being the villain, so the film has its detractors. But as a fiction that's riveting and entertaining, with stuff left to talk about after the credits rolled, it's a winner.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Lego Batman

My 14-yo son loved it.
My husband and I were somewhat entertained, but my enjoyment was seriously hampered by the 2yo in the seat next to me who wouldn't sit still or be quiet and yet his mom kept bringing him back into the theater, and at one point tried to distract him with a game on her phone. Like THAT'S not annoying to all the rest of us.

I'm sorry, just because a movie is animated doesn't mean it's right for all ages of kids.

Spooky

Even the sphinx has eyes O_O
Registered
Reaction score
One of my faves, the original Wicker Man, so many unnerving things going on in every scene! The devious Christopher Lee saying ''Come, it is time to keep your appointment with the wicker man'' never fails to send a shiver down my spine.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
One of my faves, the original Wicker Man, so many unnerving things going on in every scene! The devious Christopher Lee saying ''Come, it is time to keep your appointment with the wicker man'' never fails to send a shiver down my spine.

1000 times YES. When we saw it in the theater in 1973, the entire audience sat there stunned as the credits rolled. Not one person moved to leave. Brilliant movie.

Cascada

Registered
Reaction score
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - really rather enjoyed it, and was nice to see Blackpool (I don't live there) in the final scenes.

Before that, it was John Wick 2 - lots of guns, violence etc. Quells the "beast" within.

Spooky

Even the sphinx has eyes O_O
Registered
Reaction score
1000 times YES. When we saw it in the theater in 1973, the entire audience sat there stunned as the credits rolled. Not one person moved to leave. Brilliant movie.

It has quite the dismal ending, doesn't it? I like to reference the good lord summerisle 'Shocks are so much better absorbed with the knees bent!' :evil It's the little things that pile up that create the creeping tension, you know it isn't going to end with everyone accepting this outsider's enlightened world view!

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I'm a little slow on movies, but I just finished 10 Cloverfield Lane. I like it a lot as a thriller/horror movie, but I don't really feel the connection to the original Cloverfield.

zerosystem

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Saw Rings. It was really silly in the beginning but took a more serious tone as it progressed. Problem was that it also got really boring. I almost fell asleep watching it.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Saw Svengoolie's presentation of Godzilla's Revenge last night.

I never thought I'd see anything approaching the blatant franchise money-grabbing, head-shaking inanity, and general "WTF am I looking at and how on Earth does it relate to anything, in or out of its parent universe?" as The Star Wars Holiday Special, but there it was. All it needed was a song number and an overlong Art Carney cameo. And the ending actually made it worse than SWHS (after beating up the lead bully, inspired by his hallucinatory visit with Godzilla's son, the boy then joins them in harassing an innocent man, and becomes best buddies with the jerks. It was like Chewbacca's son Lumpy turning his dad in and joining the stormtroopers...)

Oh, how I wish Rifftrax could get hold of this one... as it was, Svengoolie, who usually stays out of the movie proper (reserving commentary and jokes for breaks and host segments), couldn't help intruding on the film with sound clips and such - it was that confusing and ridiculous.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Collateral Beauty. An all star cast brings this fine material to an ending that hit me where I live. Warning: tissues needed.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Checked out Get Out, and it definitely puts a new spin on the horror genre by how cannily it pushes the hot buttons on race, interracial romance, good liberals and the uneasiness of being the outsider.

It's a slow burn, but not a dull one and the ending is pretty violent. Entertaining, but perhaps a bit overpraised by the critics.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Robin Hood prince of thieves....I love Alan Rickman he made that movie!