Last Movie You Watched...

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
I need to do a Rifftrax binge. I loved their Eragon one.

I haven't watched a movie recently but I have been enjoying episodes of Bletchley Circle.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw Project Almanac. Shaky-Cam Time Travel. It works very well. It's in my top three favorite TT films.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
"Powder Blue," really dark. I mean this thing shows no mercy. One guy's begging strangers to kill him for the 50k in cash he has in a duffle bag. One guys' just out of jail after 25 years looking for the daughter he's never met. One's a mortician facing foreclosure, and one woman's got a dying son back home, and yep, they all connect at one point or another. Forrest Whitaker, Ray Liotta, and Jessica Biel, who despite her more immediately apparent talents, is really great in this. Stole the show from such heavyweight veterans. If you're tougher than I am you might enjoy it more than I did, though I did think it was really well done. Damn, stays with you.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Mean Girls: Despite not being a movie I normally wouldn't watch, I enjoyed it.

Mean Girls grew on me over time. Now I love it. :)

I loved the part where she imagines how the situation would be like in the animal world ("but this is Girl World"), lol.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Phantom from 10,000 Leagues. So bad. So funny. Our strong, silent detective is walking the beach in broad daylight and warns a young man not to go surfing so late at night.

Gotta love BW movies. No blue filter needed!

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Bajrangi Bhaijann -- Bollywood film starring Salman Khan.

It was excellent. I laughed. I cried. I gasped in fear. I cringed at the fight scenes. I tapped my foot with the dance scenes.

Highly recommended.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The Unknown Terror. 1950s Insular Cinema at its height.

--Superior White Men Who Know Better Than Everyonne Else
--Ex-BF with Chip On His Shoulder
--Mad Scientist Tampering in God's Domain
--White actors made up as natives
--Clueless Heroine: When the Fungus Monster plays Peeping Tom, she runs OUTSIDE in her white nightgown (of course) straight INTO danger. She had to be rescued at least twice in this movie. Possibly more, but I couldn't watch it straight through.
--The monster is... too much soap in the washing machine. Really. It's laundry soap bubbling over a deep cave full of rocks, and it turns men into walking fungus.

Must be seen to be believed.

CJMockingbird

Registered
Reaction score
Secret Window. An old favorite of mine. Slow at times, though. David Koepp, Johnny Depp, Stephen King. They should get together more often.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
"Rescue Dawn" with Christian Bale. I haven't seen everything he's done, but whenever I'm watching one of his movies I ask myself, 'Is there anything this guy can't do?'

American Psycho, Laurel Canyon, Harsh Times, American Hustle, The Fighter,
drastically different characters and he nailed 'em all. What a talented guy. Wow.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
"Elsa & Fred" MacLaine and Plummer. Really nice romance between these two. I don't think I've ever really appreciated Plummer and MacLaine is still remarkably great.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jurassic World - my second favorite in the franchise (after the first one, of course). I thought Pratt and Howard had good chemistry. And scares were right out of the first one. It begged the question: Why would they think they can handle the park after the first one? I can't see InGen's insurance company surviving the first film. And after San Diego, how are they still in business?

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
"Rescue Dawn" with Christian Bale. I haven't seen everything he's done, but whenever I'm watching one of his movies I ask myself, 'Is there anything this guy can't do?'

American Psycho, Laurel Canyon, Harsh Times, American Hustle, The Fighter,
drastically different characters and he nailed 'em all. What a talented guy. Wow.

AND out of the fire...very intense. Can't say I liked it exactly, but certainly intense and he nails it (again)

The Judge (excellent)
Second chance Harvey (old dustin Hoffman emma Thompson, also good, if predictable)
Broken City (Russell crowe, okay)

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Pixels. It was awesome! The bad reviews must com from folks who don't want to say anything nice about Adam Sandler.

I laughed through the whole movie, as did my 13 year old and his friends. There were parts where we might have cried, just a teeny bit, and in a highly dignified way.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Jurassic World - my second favorite in the franchise (after the first one, of course). I thought Pratt and Howard had good chemistry. And scares were right out of the first one. It begged the question: Why would they think they can handle the park after the first one? I can't see InGen's insurance company surviving the first film. And after San Diego, how are they still in business?
I think they must do a costs-benefits analysis, a la Fight Club. If the average yearly payout to families of eaten employees/guests is less than the costs of improving safety (e.g. higher railings over the freaking raptor pens?) while keeping them in profit, then they eat the costs.

Plus, all that cold hard DoD cash would help.

Plus, plus, given how advanced their genetic science is, InGen no doubt holds stacks of patents in the health care industry. They're probably the most profitable corporation in the world.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
"Management", starring Jennifer Aniston and Steve Zahn. I put off watching this one for a long time because of the many negative online reviews, most of which fall into two types: "This movie promotes stalking!" or "For a romantic comedy, it wasn't funny at all!"

Turns out, it's not a stalker movie and it's not a typical romantic comedy. It's an upbeat story about two grown-ups dealing with their fear of commitment.

Great movie -- glad I finally watched it. Two thumbs up! :Thumbs: :Thumbs:

Varthikes

Dragon Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Draconia, Orion's Arm, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way G
Pixels. It was awesome! The bad reviews must com from folks who don't want to say anything nice about Adam Sandler.

I laughed through the whole movie, as did my 13 year old and his friends. There were parts where we might have cried, just a teeny bit, and in a highly dignified way.

I recently saw that, too, and I agree. I loved it, especially having grown up in the '90s and playing a lot of the games the movie featured. The one thing I felt the movie could have done better was give Brian Cox's character some resolution. They seem to forget about him during the climax.

Corsairs

Saying it twice for truth
Registered
Reaction score
The Godfather: Part III. I had never seen the concluding chapter of this seminal film series until last night. The word I had always heard was that it was hugely inferior to the originals, yet it received seven Oscar nominations. How bad could it be?

Bad.

What a monumental letdown. Part III feels more like a knockoff of Sea of Love than an actual Godfather film. Andy Garcia is no Robert DeNiro, and as an actress, Sofia Coppola is a heck of a director. The plot meanders through three excruciatingly dull hours before bringing Michael Corleone's story to an abrupt and utterly unsatisfactory conclusion. Ugh. Three hours wasted. Stick with the first two films, please.

BeesKnees

Registered
Reaction score
Song of the Sea, which was just fantastic. The animation was incredible to watch and the story just made me want to cry in so many places. Definitely a new favorite.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
"Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2". Wow, what a goofy movie. But it's always fun to watch some unpretentious, non-artsy...cinema.

SPOILER ALERT: When the mounted policewoman's horse kicks Paul across the street, you're really gonna laugh! :ROFL:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
AND out of the fire...very intense. Can't say I liked it exactly, but certainly intense and he nails it (again)

I can't say I really enjoyed "Rescue Dawn" either. Not really my kind of thing. Haven't seen "Out of the Furnace," but I'll watch it when I can. Bale's always worth the price of admission. I've yet to catch his portrayal of Batman (also not my thing) but I'm told his Batman is the best. True or False?

The Godfather: Part III. I had never seen the concluding chapter of this seminal film series until last night. The word I had always heard was that it was hugely inferior to the originals, yet it received seven Oscar nominations. How bad could it be?

Bad.

What a monumental letdown. Part III feels more like a knockoff of Sea of Love than an actual Godfather film. Andy Garcia is no Robert DeNiro, and as an actress, Sofia Coppola is a heck of a director. The plot meanders through three excruciatingly dull hours before bringing Michael Corleone's story to an abrupt and utterly unsatisfactory conclusion. Ugh. Three hours wasted. Stick with the first two films, please.

Yeah, as much as I love the first two, (as much as most of us do) have never been able to get through Part III. Yeah, ha, Sofia! I liked the Bill Murray thing, but what was that one she directed with...okay, can't even think of the actor...........Stephen Dorf, "Somewhere," that was one of the slowest movies I've ever seen. I mean, at times, the space was comfortable, even enticing, but damn, that thing just stood still. I do admire the courage it takes to write or direct a story that is so slow. Don't know, pacing is an interesting thing to me.

inthewritemind

Registered
Reaction score
I rewatched War of the Worlds for the first time in years.
You'd think I'd've learnt my lesson about the basement scene freaking me out from the first time i saw it but noooooo

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I'm apparently the only person on the planet who dislikes all the Godfather movies plus the first 2 Die Hards. *hides in the corner*

Wyrmwood (on Netflix). Zombies. Gory. Very gory. Lots of gallows humor. Sick and twisted. Torture in the name of science by a completely batshit doctor/scientist/something. Everyone gets what's coming to them by an absolutely kickass heroine. A well-done nod to The Brain that Wouldn't Die (Jan in the Pan, for MST3K fans).

I recommend it with many caveats.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Darkness. Terrible. Boring as hell. Stupid, unrealistic responses to events. Predictable. Unnecessary setting/location (Took place in Spain, but never felt authentically Spanish other than a few characters with accents). The pieces of the story never really came together in a way that was interesting or made sense. It just boggles my mind that this ever got made. Blerg.