Last Movie You Watched...

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Saw the Wind Also Rises.

Slow, literary and ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. Miyazaki could animate anything.

davidh219

Walking Anachronism
Registered
Reaction score
Kill Your Darlings. My girlfriend made me watch it with her. At first I was confused, as she hates Jack Kerouac, but then harry potter went gay and everything made perfect sense again.

It was alright.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
The Truman Show. Way ahead of its time...very trenchant and very funny. I never liked Jim Carrey and never will, but he's quite good in this.

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Geography Club." Coming-of-age story about a high school student who's gay . Thoughtful and refreshing, loved it.

Rebe14

Registered
Reaction score
Into The White

It has Rupert Grint in it, who played Ron Weasley. It was during WW2, two British soldiers and four German soldiers struck each other's planes down in Norway during a blizzard. They had to work together to survive. It's on Netflix and it's really, really good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1876277/

Last edited:

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Robot Monster. Must be seen to be believed. Love this movie so much.

---

Let's hear it for Phil Tucker!

Didn't watch a movie per se yesterday, but caught 'Godzillathon' which was an examination of the big guy from his inception up until a few years ago. The guy who did the narrative made a lot of funny asides, and he struck me as someone who truly loved the series. Worth a watch to see how the series went from serious in tone to campy, then back to semi-serious again.

Can't wait for the newest edition. Hope it works out well or at the very least, better than the Matthew Broderick travesty.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Into The White

It has Rupert Grint in it, who played Ron Weasley. It was during WW2, two British soldiers and four German soldiers struck each other's planes down in Norway during a blizzard. They had to work together to survive. It's Netflix and it's really, really good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1876277/

So, I took your review and rented this from Amazon.
OH-MY-GAWD!!!
EXCELLLENTTTTTTTT MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pennywise18

Registered
Reaction score
I just watched Bernie on netflix. It has Jack Black in one of his best and most memorable roles, playing a very quirky, soft-spoken funeral director who gets involved with a despicable rich widow. A dark comedy, for sure, and worth checking out for Black's great performance!

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I felt in a dumbass mood today, so settled for Happy Gilmore. Funny in places and a decent time waster. Nice to see Carl Weathers in an atypical role.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I saw the Lego Movie at a nephew's birthday.

It is a light, silly, fun subversive movie that undermines the idea of following the instructions. Also the special effects, like the rolling Lego ocean, are great.

If I have any quibble, it's that it fails to subvert Lego's regrettable abandonment of its gender-neutral strategy some years back. This is very much a boy's club movie. All of the main characters and almost all of the supporting characters are male. The two major supporting girl characters are pretty much stereopes aimed at boys: the cool ninja chick girlfriend and the cutesy pink pollyanna who goes berserk at the right moment. The minor supporting girl characters are a crazy cat lady, a generic construction worker, Wonder Woman, and the offscreen little sister who ruins everything.

The movie is fun, but I am a wee bit soul-crushed by that.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Just saw About Time. It's a thoroughly charming movie. It can be a bit schmaltzy, but I enjoyed it from beginning to end anyway. I had seen a preview a while back and thought it might be interesting in spite of the apparent gooey-ness, and I was right. Domhnall Gleeson was really delightful as the lead, though Rachel McAdams was fairly dull as the leading lady.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I saw Capote last night. Philip Seymour Hoffman was brilliant.

Also watched Enough Said with James Gandolfini. Anough great actor.

I enjoyed both movies but came away a little sad. So much talent lost so young.

Walter Lime

Read, write, and run.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
walterlime.com
Watched Chariots of Fire again last night. Anytime I need to feel inspired, it's always there waiting.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Gave Ace Ventura, Pet Detective, a quick watch yesterday...

...for five minutes.

It reminded me of how much I hated the movie when it first came out--and still hated it.:D

OTOH, Maniac Cop and its sequels are pretty awesome in a craptastic way. Not great by any means, but entertaining.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Blair Witch II, going all meta, with Jeffrey Donovan chewing more scenery than his skinny body can hold.

I like Jeffrey Donovan. There are some nasty characters in this movie that you want to see die in painful manner. But the end = meh. Too bad, since it was a decent ride for the most part.

ETA: But after that, Dog Soldiers. :Thumbs: Of course, I :heart: Sean Pertwee in just about anything.

Last edited:

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Just watched Lars and the Real Girl. This could have been a disaster, but the acting is so good and the story so well thought out, it works. Worth a look.