Last Movie You Watched...

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
August: Osage County, written by Tracy Letts, starring Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, and Juliette Lewis, I thought it was just great. The writing, dialogue wall to wall excellent. Child abuse lasts a lifetime, into the next generation and then some...

What can you say about Meryl Streep that hasn't been said before? Not much, but what a performance. She really is something else, wow.

jsteelman

Registered
Reaction score
Man of Steel, baby! A lot of great actors and performances. Great camera work too!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
August: Osage County, written by Tracy Letts, starring Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, and Juliette Lewis, I thought it was just great. The writing, dialogue wall to wall excellent. Child abuse lasts a lifetime, into the next generation and then some...

What can you say about Meryl Streep that hasn't been said before? Not much, but what a performance. She really is something else, wow.

Agree, and I also think it's was Roberts performance of a lifetime. She blew me away.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Wolf of Wall Street, I have to say I was disappointed. Goodfellas goes to Wall Street. Wall Street on steroids. Not enough down time, 100 miles an hour almost non-stop, and the movie is long! DiCaprio was very good, and there were some memorable scenes, moments. But the story was not all that great, and the people were not all that interesting. Not enough down time, reflective times in the movie. Oliver Stone had Martin Sheen talking sense to his son and those moments were poignant and rang true. Maybe because Oliver Stone's real father was a stockbroker and he could draw from that. But the few scenes that Rob Reiner had with DiCaprio seemed forced, and Reiner almost looked like he felt cramped doing the scenes. Hate to say it, but I'd take a pass on this one.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
She really was great, too. And what a tribute to Streep and to the material itself that such a talented cast would sign on for such small parts. Sam Shepard, Chris Cooper, Ewan MacGregor. Read today that it was based on Letts' own family.

http://www.npr.org/2014/01/11/261435867/osage-hits-close-to-home-for-writer-tracy-letts

Wow. Brave of him to share his totally dysfunctional life like that for all to see. Makes it even more interesting as I could see people being all, $hit like this doesn't happen in real life! Ha. It so totally does. ;)

arkanis50

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youseenthat.com
Escape Plan with Stallone and Arnie... although I fell asleep half way through so I don't know if it was good or not. My partner claims it was great, however her tastes in movies is somewhat different to mine.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
The Muppets (2011) on DVD - With the old Muppet Theater in danger from an evil developer, a longtime fan rallies Kermit to reunite the crew.
I'd heard some mixed reviews on this, how Disney ruined the franchise, so I wasn't sure what to think going into it. I found it pretty funny, actually, as much an homage to the original show as a reboot for a new generation. They even kept the feel by using puppetry instead of CGI - I'm hardly an expert, but it looked pretty much on par with what Henson pulled off. The songs were catchy, too; Brett "Flight of the Conchords" McKenzie's influence is clear, especially in the Oscar-winning "Man or Muppet" number. That said, even though I was laughing out loud at several points, I think I would've liked it a little less had I seen it in theaters. A great DVD movie, though, with more heart than I expected.

I'm having trouble getting excited for theater movies in 2014; aside from How to Train Your Dragon 2 and the next Hunger Games movie (and maybe The Muppets 2, though I might wait for DVD on that one), I haven't seen anything that makes me want to pony up the nine-odd bucks for a matinee ticket. (After being disappointed with the second Hobbit movie, the third one has been relegated to DVD-watching in my mind... unless someone else is paying.)

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
kiddo borrowed Man of Steel from the library, despite my warnings. He politely ignored all my shouting at the screen, but turned it off voluntarily after Pa Kent's "Maybe" line in the school bus scene.

I did indulge in an "I told you so." :tongue

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
The Butler. Amazing (true) story, Wonderful cast. Fantastic acting.

If you are interested, you may want to do some reading on the real man, Eugene Allen, who inspired the movie. The movie itself is mostly fiction.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I might need to actually watch Man of Steel. Just to get in on the riffing.

Last watched: Stay. I can't believe I'm saying this, but that was a like an even more surreal, even more confusing version of Jacob's Ladder.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
It has its flaws, but not too many and none too dire as to ruin it in my opinion. It's a fantastic movie. Love it.

The thing is, I'm not really a fan of Superman. I am a DC girl, but Supes has always struck me as rather goody-goody and boring. I've only seen one movie version I liked. (The first of the Christopher Reeve ones, although that was kind of a while ago--don't remember it that well.) Like, I can live without it. BUT. I've seen so much internet-bashing, I'm actually curious. Furthermore--my mom IS a fan of Superman (read the comics on a dedicated weekly basis when she was a kid) and she walked out of the theater. I just, I hafta to know why.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
He's certainly not a goody-goody in this film unlike how he is in the Christopher Reeve movies, which I find unwatchable.

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
Just seen 2005 version of Bewitched.

Stunningly bad.

Truly exceptionally bad. Kept watching, like an onlooker witnessing a car crash. Finally it's terribleness - the scene with the cliched (plundered) big plant, 'please dont go' - snapped me into reality .

A crime against humanity.

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I am probably the only person in the world who dislikes the movie of Les Mis. I'm in the other room with headphones in, but I can hear snippets and I want to run in there and scream: No! No! No! Give me Colm Wilkinson! You people CANNOT CARRY THIS MUSIC!

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I am probably the only person in the world who dislikes the movie of Les Mis. I'm in the other room with headphones in, but I can hear snippets and I want to run in there and scream: No! No! No! Give me Colm Wilkinson! You people CANNOT CARRY THIS MUSIC!

Nope. Hated it.

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
Watched You're Next last night (for the fourth time), it's such a good horror-comedy.

Then watched Prisoners this morning... wow. It's brilliant, harrowing, amazing and I'll probably never watch it again. It's not an easy film to watch.