Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Seen 'em all. I really like Kronos. So unintentionally funny, but with surprisingly good acting.

Any chance I have to watch Agar chew the scenery, I take it. :D If you haven't seen The Brain from Planet Arous: run, don't walk to find a copy. You'll laugh till you can't breathe. (No, it's not meant to be a comedy. That makes it better.)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
R-Point is amazing. It takes two viewings to pick up all the stuff at the start of the film, but it is something I would have watched over and over again anyway.

It's on YouTube! And the males are all refereeing soccer for the next couple of hours. Whee!

R-Point

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Seen 'em all. I really like Kronos. So unintentionally funny, but with surprisingly good acting.

Any chance I have to watch Agar chew the scenery, I take it. :D If you haven't seen The Brain from Planet Arous: run, don't walk to find a copy. You'll laugh till you can't breathe. (No, it's not meant to be a comedy. That makes it better.)

---

The Brain from Planet Arous is sort of a stinker and yet not. It has a few clever touches, mainly the dog serving as a...never mind, don't want to put in a spoiler but I think that was the first time it was ever done in film and made it quite enjoyable.

I Married... is actually much better than it sounds, mainly because the acting is surprisingly good and I always liked Gloria Talbott. Large eyes, a good actress who should have gotten better roles than she did.

If anyone likes Val Lewton, you can catch some of his movies' clips or in their entirety on YouTube. Bedlam is excellent and also The Body Snatcher. Boris Karloff is absolutely chilling and the scene with the streetwalker is perfectly done. Cat People (with Simone Simone) is also very, very good with a lot of clever touches (the bus scene, for example) and much better than the awful remake.

The other day I treated myself to watching Equinox and you can see Frank Bonner in, I think, his first movie. Good ol' Herb Tarlick. Not a great movie but interesting with a solid ending.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Man on the Ledge

Lots of action, great fun. Unrealistic, but I didn't care.

caliph

Registered
Reaction score
Sherlock Holmes game of shadows. Excellent entertainment and action

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw ABRAHAM LINCOLN- VAMPIRE SLAYER....and had a great time.

Also, MOONRISE KINGDOM was phenomenal.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Oldboy--OMG, this movie was so awesome in a strange, funny, crazy, sick, twisted, brilliant, wildly insane kinda way. The best way I can describe it is Max Payne (the video game) meets Kill Bill (or any crazy movie by Tarantino) It was just a wild ride, but had me and my hubs sucked in from start to finish. I really liked this movie!

ETA: it is a Korean film that was dubbed in English.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Just got in the mail the synched rifftrax of Crater Lake Monster. (it's been out for awhile now as a download, but I love having the official published DVD of these things for those times I'm out in the wilderness.) A stinkburger of a film that makes those UPI films from the 50's look like great art.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This weekend I watched The Social Network. Again. Love that movie.

Also Stone with Edward Norton and Robert DeNiro. Kind of interesting. Edward Norton was, as always, an excellent psychotic. Wish it would have gone deeper into pyschoanalysis of all of the characters, though.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Took my kids to see The Amazing Spiderman reboot. Not bad at all, and the leads were quite good. In fact, the whole cast was quite good, even Denis Leary playing a straight, non-smarmy, sympathetic role.

The new actor (Andrew Garfield) is really skinny (someone get that kid a sandwich) but it sticks a little closer to the origins and the web-shooter thing. Doesn't have the hyper-kinetic camera work of a Sam Raimi flick but once you get past the first thirty minutes of the build-up to the 'getting the superpowers' thing it moves along quite nicely.

jdwhitelaw

Gone Drinkin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jdwhitelaw.blogspot.com
I watched The Fugitive last night. I really enjoyed watching this stylish 90s classic. So much so I wronte a blog entry on it HERE

Conveniently

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Laputa: Castle in the Sky (Japanese version). I adore Miyazaki's work and the children have asked to see them this week. We watched Spirited Away (Japanese version) first.

They are even better and deeper and richer than I remember. And though they are still laced through with sorrow, I see hope in them that I missed before.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Hunny and I watched Courageous on dvd on Saturday.

He was tearing up so much, I had to offer him one of my tissues. :cry:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
One Crazy Summer--My thirty something kid talked me into watching it again. It was a slice of the eighties. The hair, fashions and Demi Moore's concert were funnier than most of the scenes. The soundtrack was good. All in all it was enjoyable but disconcerting to think that I actually dressed like that once!--ss

sharpyetblunt

Registered
Reaction score
V For Vendetta - Didnt like it as much as i did the first time. Tons of clunky exposition. Still enjoyed the story and the themes though. Maybe lacking a bit in execution.